OK, so I've been searching for a week - everywhere. These forums, websites galor, and I'm still hoping for a vehicle specific car mount for my Storm. I have read every thread here and looked at a lot of options, but I can't find one that I like.

People have homemade solutions, and I've seen every brand imaginable (Bury, Arkon, Kidi...something, etc.) and everything either looks like a bulky kid's toy or is windshield mountable only.

What I want is something similar to what ProClips has, a smaller mount that's specific to your vehicle. The problem is, I have a 2003 Xterra and the only mount they make goes over my vents, which I use. I thought maybe their adjustable console mount would work, but they rely on a straight up and down type of design, which I don't have (the bottom of my console is angled), not to mention that their tilting mounts only tilt 15 degrees (seriously...what's the point?). I contacted them and they confirmed that with my vehicle, even the adjustable mount wouldn't work.

What I don't want: a windshiled, vent, or cup holder mount, something where the charging cord is permanently attached, something that's on a long snake-like neck (I tried that already and actually pushing buttons doesn't work so well when the device is on a long arm), something that doesn't require drilling into my dash, is not permanent, and isn't some homemade cheap looking fix.

I know, I know - I'm asking for a lot. Below is a link (borrowed from the ProClips site) with an Xterra interior. I've circled the location I'd like to have my Storm.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...Xterradash.jpg

I understand I probably need to lower my standards, but I want to make sure I've exhausted all of my resources before giving up.

Thanks.

EDIT: I did find pro-fit, which may have what I want. They have an adhesive solution that is somewhat permanent, but may be alright. They don't appear to have a Storm specific holder but I've emailed them to see if they have a solution.
    Last edited by bfarneth; 03-19-09 at 10:37 AM.
    03-19-09 09:13 AM
    Just spoke with a local car audio shop who fabricates their own parts. I'm taking my truck there tonight.

A solution may be at hand...
    03-19-09 12:40 PM
    i hope you find what you are looking for, me personally i use Bracketron : Grip-iT Mobile Device Holder and i absolutely love it. you said that you didn't want a vent mount but this one doesn't really block the use of my vents at all. i mounted it on the left side of the right hand center vent and get full use of my vents. i bought it at bestbuy but can't remember how much it was at the time.
    03-19-09 12:48 PM
    i hope you find what you are looking for, me personally i use Bracketron : Grip-iT Mobile Device Holder and i absolutely love it. you said that you didn't want a vent mount but this one doesn't really block the use of my vents at all. i mounted it on the left side of the right hand center vent and get full use of my vents. i bought it at bestbuy but can't remember how much it was at the time.
    $20.00 just got one at best buy myself...car audio section..
    03-19-09 12:51 PM
    Glad the Bracketron works for you, but it's not what I'm looking for. Like I said, I'm a little picky.

My car audio shop uses the Pro-Fit parts, which look to be very nice. I found a picture and installation manual for an Xterra bracket that goes to the right of my stereo - exactly where I want it.

The problem is finding a Storm specific holder that will work and/or finding a dual holder that will work with my ipod.

We'll see. If I find a solution I'll post pics.
    03-19-09 02:02 PM
    xterras are for girls!

j.k man

not sure exactly why your mounting your storm, if its just for charging and nav and bluetooth purposes then your going to have to do a custom install it looks like.

If your savoy with electronics, select a power cord that suits your needs and chop it apart, run an in-line fuse, and power it up and ground it (make sure its 12v!)

then, you cound always modify any holder or clip that suits your needs, or take it to an auto custom shop shop and have them attach it to your dash

if your looking for your storm to play mp3's or video to your cars stereo system, things could get tricky. good luck!
    03-19-09 02:49 PM
    xterras are for girls!

j.k man

not sure exactly why your mounting your storm, if its just for charging and nav and bluetooth purposes then your going to have to do a custom install it looks like.

If your savoy with electronics, select a power cord that suits your needs and chop it apart, run an in-line fuse, and power it up and ground it (make sure its 12v!)

then, you cound always modify any holder or clip that suits your needs, or take it to an auto custom shop shop and have them attach it to your dash

if your looking for your storm to play mp3's or video to your cars stereo system, things could get tricky. good luck!
    Playing it through the stereo is already what I'm doing (through an FM modulator...which I had installed for my ipod), I just want somewhere to mount it so I can make calls and play the occasional tune without setting it in my cup holder. Trust me, I'm not going to go overboard here - I just want to see what can be done. If it's going to cost an arm and a leg then I'll have to go the simple route and get a generic mount. No biggie either way.
    03-19-09 04:58 PM
    UPDATE: I visited my local audio shop (I have a friend there) and they can get the Pro-Fit parts. I waited for a few days and finally got a call last night...$80 alone in parts! That's just a mounting bracket and a "generic" mount that may or may not hold my Storm.

Add the $20 shipping and installation and I'd be looking around the $130 mark. Needless to say, I passed.

Now I'm back to square one. I may just break down and get a generic mount from ProClips. They have the ones with 3M tape so it wouldn't leave a mark and I can put it where I want.
    03-24-09 01:27 PM
    I ended up getting a UtiliV2 universal mount from Pro-Fit and a Storm holder from ProClips. They are supposed to be compatible, so hopefully they are. I'll post pics once I get them.

UtiliV2 Universal Mount from Pro-Fit

Storm tilt holder from Pro-Fit
    Back part of Storm holder - looks like it will mount to the mount's plate...at least I hope so
    03-27-09 10:18 AM
    I've been tempted to just fix a regular docking pod onto the car somewhere because I love the way the desktop pod presents the storm. I have a car charger so I was thinking of just velcroing the pod to the dashboard or something... that way if I do ever decide to use VZ Nav or Garmin, it's in my line of vision.

Let us know how the thing you purchased works out though.
    03-27-09 10:29 AM
    UPDATE: The parts are compatible, but the plates are not the same size (the holder's is smaller) and the screws that come with the holder are not long enough to go through both pieces. The screw holes line up, despite the plate size difference, and once it's together it doesn't make much difference as the holder will cover it all up.

I had to go to Home Depot and get some longer screws, all of 20 minutes of my time and $1.78.

It's all together now but the mount's sticky pad needs 72 hours to "set up" before being used. I'm in that stage right now and I'll get pictures once it's all done.
    Last edited by bfarneth; 03-30-09 at 05:01 PM.
    03-30-09 04:52 PM
    If you are worried about putting holes in your dash, try one of these. I have it for my car and absolutely love it. It still isn't an actual holder, but when you find the right item you can attach it to this.

kudausa - KUDA car custom color leather mounts for mobile electronics

I like that UtiliV2 holder and can see where it would be useful if it works as advertised.
    03-30-09 05:18 PM
    i hope you find what you are looking for, me personally i use Bracketron : Grip-iT Mobile Device Holder[/url] and i absolutely love it. you said that you didn't want a vent mount but this one doesn't really block the use of my vents at all. i mounted it on the left side of the right hand center vent and get full use of my vents. i bought it at bestbuy but can't remember how much it was at the time.
    Does the Grip-it allow you to have the power cable plugged in? Ive seen a lot of holders but with the way Blackberry has the power jack, not all work very well.
    05-16-09 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD