Very interesting concept.
    Thanks!

Quick question for everyone. It seems that the longer videos (100 minutes long) take about twice as long to initially buffer as shorter clips. So which would be preferable- waiting ~90 seconds for the stream to start, or waiting half that but having to click Part1, Part2, Part3? As always, thanks for your feedback!
    03-29-10 08:26 PM
    Couple of things:

Phone: Curve 2 8530 ( sprint ) - 5.0

I was not able to view either video sample or the old school 3gp file OTA. However I was able to download it to my phone and watch it that way. After about 20 seconds of buffer, I got the error that said that the file format was not compatible with my phone? I dont know why, I have 16 mp4 movies on my 8 gig SD that I watch all the time. ( They are getting rather old )

I think that the idea is great! There has been many times that I have found myself wishing that I had the time to convert more movies and just dont have the time to sit and do it. The thought of being able to save a bookmark in my browser to go to a web pager where I could click a link and stream a movie OTA would be one **** of a time saver.

Any ideas on why I was not able to view the files OTA?

BBM 313D0354
    SMS 616-929-0230
    03-30-10 01:14 AM
    I think this is awesome what your doing here. I've been looking for a way to do this for awhile to no avail. My findings while visiting your site are none of the videos stream using opera mini or the native browser but they will save using opera while on 3g and wifi. The videos downloaded quickly and the quality was good. If you need any help or anything hit me up bro.
    03-30-10 07:28 PM
    Need to vent about technical stuff for a minute....

So I get my site built and working fine, very pleased with it. Then I realize that I should create LQ and HQ versions, so that newer BlackBerries with h.264 capability can have extra quality video at the same low 10.5 / 15 KB/s. Well, ok, fine- I manage to cram the extra stuff into the existing menu pretty nicely. Then I do the encoding and find out that when our BB's buffer a video, they do it by percent, not size. This means if it needs 2% buffered (no idea how much it actually is), the larger the movie file is, the longer it takes to start. My sample clips worked well, being 10-20 minutes, but 100 minute clips take way too long initially.

No problem, I work around that as well- offer a single full movie link for those wanting to download, and for the OTA viewers I encode the movie in four parts. No big deal, I have unlimited bandwidth and space. But how to fit all that into my menus? I don't want a big ugly list of links... I know, drop down menus! Nothing java, just simple CSS. That will keep it light and fast.

But no. The BlackBerry browser can't handle CSS drop down menus. They simply don't function. So do I make huge cluttered menus, big link lists, or put some nasty javascript hack in? None of those, I decided. Instead, I created playlists for each movie that has all four parts in it, so one link can be used as though it's a single movie file (but still loads quick).

I'd still rather have a functional CSS drop down menu, but I guess RIM can't figure out how to make that work

Anyway, things are now solved and moving along. The encoding system is all fine tuned and rolling along. It's been difficult to test stuff accurately here, since my Edge connection is poor and now the wifi has been acting up. Even so, everything has begun playback in 36 seconds or less, and stayed stable. When things get closer to going live, I'll look for a beta tester or two in various signal areas to really try things out.
    04-01-10 02:15 AM
    How far are you from completion? I really like idea of this, aslong as its updated regularly and has OTA compatibility. OTA videos work best in in 10-12MB parts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 07:46 AM
    The video tests have been pulled in preparation for the actual site going live shortly. I have some people beta testing it now. Thanks for everyone's input!
    04-07-10 12:06 PM
    The video tests have been pulled in preparation for the actual site going live shortly. I have some people beta testing it now. Thanks for everyone's input!
    Please let me BETA test lol I literally only use my Storm for watching video. Would really appreciate it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 05:38 PM
    Hey all!

The site's progressing well. Just thought I'd try one last thing: Anyone who was NOT able to get the streaming video previous (you know who you are) and could only save, try clicking here and tell me if it streams live. It's a long shot, but it's worth a try. Thanks guys!
    04-11-10 02:46 AM
    OMG IT WORKS!! thats not yours though is it ?
    04-11-10 10:47 PM
    OMG IT WORKS!! thats not yours though is it ?
    The clip isn't, but I now know how to do it. My own crappy sample is here

I've put my video encoding on hold while I figure this out. It will delay the site going live, but results will be worth it... get ready for 100% live streaming compatibility!

Just checking, this clip doesn't work, right?
    Last edited by CharredPC; 04-11-10 at 11:57 PM.
    04-11-10 11:22 PM
    challenger yes testy no
    04-11-10 11:26 PM
    if their both 3gp how come one is working and the other isn't ?
    04-11-10 11:33 PM
    if their both 3gp how come one is working and the other isn't ?
    The filetype isn't what fixes things, it's a wacky extra coding system. I literally had to pull the video files apart and examine the code to get this far!

I'm trying to work out a sort of hybrid method in order to keep quality up, yet incorporate the magic fix. Care to try this file? I'm trying to iron out exactly what it takes to keep things functional...
    04-11-10 11:57 PM
    sounds like you know your ish man! that file looks wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the last one!!!!!
    04-12-10 12:14 AM
    Here's an MP4 version (3GP). Does this one work? It should, it's the same data and fix, just a different package.
    04-12-10 10:05 PM
    Here's an MP4 version (3GP). Does this one work? It should, it's the same data and fix, just a different package.
    It Works my friend best quality yet!!
    04-12-10 10:08 PM
    How is your site coming along?
    05-14-10 01:42 PM
    This project, so very near completion, has been put up for sale. Unfortunately I no longer have the time or resources to devote to it. My thanks and apologies to all who contributed or were looking forward to it. I hope a buyer can be found who is interested in picking up where I left off.
    05-19-10 03:49 PM
    Well..... that sucks but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.. I hope to see more from you in the future CharredPC!. You've got fans here!
    05-19-10 05:10 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD