I downloaded some of the ringtones from this website and now I am trying to assign them to certain contacts but when I get a call or message the default ringtone still plays. I tried a batter pull and it still isn't working. Help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-10 07:41 PM
    Go to contacts. Edit the contact. You will see ring tone/alerts, you can set it there.

11-06-10 07:47 PM
    Go to contacts. Edit the contact. You will see ring tone/alerts, you can set it there.

I did that. I followed the directions in the help on how to set the customized ringer but it still reverts back to the default everytime. If I set the default to one of the new ringtones it plays everytime, so it must be something through the customizing contact portion that isn't working properly

11-06-10 07:58 PM
    I did that. I followed the directions in the help on how to set the customized ringer but it still reverts back to the default everytime. If I set the default to one of the new ringtones it plays everytime, so it must be something through the customizing contact portion that isn't working properly

Do you have call display???? won't work unless you do
    11-06-10 08:15 PM
    Do you have call display???? won't work unless you do
    Yes. I have call display. I'm frustrated! I've tried restarting my phone and everything!

11-06-10 09:05 PM
    What version of the BBOS are you running? This will help us help you. From the home screen, set your 9700 down and hold alt + Shift (aA) and H. A help screen will appear. 5.x.x.x or 6.x.x.x is what we're looking for.
    11-06-10 09:45 PM
    What version of the BBOS are you running? This will help us help you. From the home screen, set your 9700 down and hold alt + Shift (aA) and H. A help screen will appear. 5.x.x.x or 6.x.x.x is what we're looking for.
    I'm running BBOS 5

11-06-10 09:49 PM
    barbie, I had a hard time trying to figure this out too because I had the same issue. It would not customize a ringtone for me through my contact list. I actually go to Sounds and if you scroll to the bottom there is an option for Set Contact Alerts, where you can add "important calls". That is the only way I was able to customize my ringtone/sms alerts for a specific contact. Have you tried it that way yet?
    11-07-10 11:03 AM
    barbie, I had a hard time trying to figure this out too because I had the same issue. It would not customize a ringtone for me through my contact list. I actually go to Sounds and if you scroll to the bottom there is an option for Set Contact Alerts, where you can add "important calls". That is the only way I was able to customize my ringtone/sms alerts for a specific contact. Have you tried it that way yet?
    I just tried that, but I don't have an "important calls" option.
    I've gone through 'set contact alerts' and added the contact and the ringtone. When I open it it shows the right ringtone but then plays the default ringer when I get a text message or call from that contact.

11-07-10 04:42 PM
    If it still doesn't work properly for you, just keep it as-is. But test each one prior to saving the changes, to make sure it plays. Try a test call/sms to verify.

PS. I generally don't customize the ringtones per contact, it doesn't usually work properly.

11-07-10 06:29 PM
    Sorry it's not working for you Barbie. I assume you have the latest OS? And that your contact is on the SIM and not on the phone? (I don't know if that would make a difference or not though...) Have you tried changing themes? Or are you using the default themes on the phone? As Root said, alot of times it doesn't work properly and you end up either giving up on doing it or you keep playing around with it and trying different combos of things. I have only one contact set up with a personal rington/sms alert. It might be more difficult if you try to do alot of different customized ringtones.

When you open Set Contact Alerts through Sounds, is it just blank?
    11-07-10 06:49 PM
    Sorry it's not working for you Barbie. I assume you have the latest OS? And that your contact is on the SIM and not on the phone? (I don't know if that would make a difference or not though...) Have you tried changing themes? Or are you using the default themes on the phone? As Root said, alot of times it doesn't work properly and you end up either giving up on doing it or you keep playing around with it and trying different combos of things. I have only one contact set up with a personal rington/sms alert. It might be more difficult if you try to do alot of different customized ringtones.

When you open Set Contact Alerts through Sounds, is it just blank?
    I'm just about ready to give up. I don't know why they give you the option if it doesn't work!! When I set the contact alert to the customized ringtone and then press "try it" the new ringtone plays. I save it and exit out of the sounds menu and then as soon as I receive a call or text from that contact it isn't the customized ringtone. I'm not trying to change the ringtone on 500 contacts!!! Just 1!!! The phone is 2 weeks old, and this is one of many complaints I have. I may reactivate my Curve. It's a paper weight but much better phone!
    Thanks for trying to help me. I appreciate it.

11-07-10 07:31 PM
    So I went to Telus yesterday to try to figure out the customized ringtone issue and I've got it now! Apparently in order for the contact-assigned ringtone to work, the phone number entry in the address book has to be in this format: 12345678912. Mine looked like this: 1(234)567-8912. There can be no brackets or dashes in the address book entry or you will not be able to assign a ringtone to that contact. It works for every one of my contacts now. Thanks everyone for trying to help me figure it out.

11-09-10 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD