so last week i ordered a 4 gig memory card from newegg.com, the A-Data 4gig SDHC card was about $23 after shipping.
    i also purchased the black Otterbox and the Seidio extended life 1250 battery for my 8130.

i was happy with my 1 gig card, but i knew from reading the otterbox review here on CB, that i may as well upgrade it so i wouldnt have to open the case later and do it should i ever out grow my 1 gig card.
    well the memory card took forever to finally get here, and the battery and otterbox did come in, so i thought what the heck and used those till the card got here.

its awesome on my pearl. it adds just enough bulk to make it more comfortable to use for me (i have medium to large size hands), and the protection is awesome. the only thing i'm not using is the clear membrane.
    i already have a BSE on my pearl and i'd have to peal it off in order to use the membrane properly. so the only thing thats not protected is the keypad, which i'm cool with. that being said i layed the membrane down on the keypad and it is nice, and if i ever have to remove my BSE i'll definitely put the membrane on.

i do however have a slight problem with the install instructions for the membrane, it tells me to use water with a drop of dish soap applied directly to the screen of the device. thats a big no no imo. i would apply it directly to the membrane if i was to actually use it (Which is how the BSE, and Invisible shields tell you to do it). i also recommend using baby shampoo as it wont leave a really sticky residue if you do remove the skin/membrane.

also if you have a nice charging cradle, the Otterbox (and most cases of this type) are not for you at all. so if you dont like the idea of it just sitting on your desk/night stand, dont bother.

one thing i like about it is, if i just want to toss it in my pocket, the rubber doesnt hang or catch on fabric (at least not yet anyway) so its smooth in and out of pockets (i wear loose pants, tight jeans maybe different).
    the only thing i would have liked to have on the otterbox is a way to access the memory card without taking the whole thing apart. and it'd be nice if they made a wrap around membrane for just the keyboard, but i understand why they dont, but it'd be nice for those of us with skins already in place to have some keypad protection.
    another con i noticed, and its slight, but it bears mentioning, is the silicon skin that goes around the unit, likes to peal up from time to time on the lower left of the screen (left as your looking at the unit) it doesnt happen often, but enough to mention.
    and the last con i can think of is the keyboards a bit recessed in, and it takes a whole of about 5 minutes to get used to unlocking, or using perimeter buttons.
    the cons are small, and shouldnt be enough to keep someone from buying this great case for themselves.

but hindsight being 20/20, the biggest reason to buy this case is the complete membrane protector for the keypad and screen. since i'm not using that i could have easily gone with one of these:
    BlackBerry Pearl 8130 Hard Cases - ShopCrackBerry
    so i recommend if you want complete protection from dust and dirt, dont put a skin on, and order the otterbox and plan on using the membrane. if you just want to keep it pretty grab one of the other cases.

for the battery, one word.. awesome.. just buy it, dont doubt it, dont hesitate, it rocks.

i know this was rather long, but hope it provides some info that the cb review doesnt.

cheers
    04-29-08 03:26 PM
    Nice writeup. I snagged an Otterbox for my 8830, and albeit I don't use it all the time, I definitely like it when I go out and I need a little extra protection. I have a BSE as well so don't use the membrane, but the Otter offers plenty of solid protection.
    04-30-08 02:02 AM
    Just recieved my Otterbox for my 8130 yesterday. So far I LOVE it!
    04-30-08 05:40 AM
    Does the clear membrane adhere to the screen or is it something that just lies on top of it. Some of the screenshots I have seen of the membrane on show a lot of air bubbles under the membrane and it looks horrible. If the membrane sticks to it, I'm ordering.
    05-03-08 02:42 PM
    Is Otterbox strictly an online purhcase? Are there any brick and mortar stores selling these or something similar? I'd like to see one, up close and personal before purchasing.
    05-03-08 03:05 PM
    it looks like you can either use it as a "static cling" kind of skin, or you can actually wet it and install it kinda like a BSE/Invisible Sheild skin. the only exception of course would be the keypad part of the membrane.

keep in mind a photo will show some imperfections that dont show up under normal use, due to the flash, and lighting angles used.
    love my otterbox, its awesome... i just wish i could have got the yellow version lol.

cheers
    05-03-08 03:16 PM
    Is Otterbox strictly an online purhcase? Are there any brick and mortar stores selling these or something similar? I'd like to see one, up close and personal before purchasing.
    i dont know of any B&M stores that sell them, you could go to otterbox's site, and email customer service.

cheers
    05-03-08 03:17 PM
    Anybody know what the shipping costs are to Canada directly from the Otterbox site?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-08 03:20 PM
    heres some quick pics, i'm heading out to work, but.
    this is what it looks like on with the BSE.
    it may look bulky, but it really isnt any more bulky than my OEM BB case i was using.

05-03-08 03:29 PM
    ... i just wish i could have got the yellow version lol.

cheers
    I got the yellow and it is great. No one will ever have any doubt as to who's phone it is. It reminds me of the old motorola "Brick" i700. Several guys on the department have asked if it is a Dewalt phone. One guy thought I had a stud finder clipped to my belt!
    05-03-08 03:31 PM
    keep in mind a photo will show some imperfections that dont show up under normal use, due to the flash, and lighting angles used.
    love my otterbox, its awesome... i just wish i could have got the yellow version lol.

cheers
    I was referring to the pics at OtterBox Defender Series for BlackBerry Curve 8330, Curve 8320, Curve 8310, Curve 8300 - ShopCrackBerry

Mike
    05-03-08 03:55 PM
    ah, okay i can explain that one. they have the otterbox put together, with the membrane collapsed inside (its how its shipped. so your seeing bubbles from the membrane itself, not flush on the device.

if you do the application with water and a touch of soap, you'll take a credit card and swipe at it, then let it cure for up to 24 hours (give or take).
    when i applied my BSE i had a couple of air bubbles, and after 2 weeks they where gone.

so i wouldnt worry much about the bubbles you see in that shot.

cheers
    05-04-08 01:09 AM
    I got the yellow and it is great. No one will ever have any doubt as to who's phone it is. It reminds me of the old motorola "Brick" i700. Several guys on the department have asked if it is a Dewalt phone. One guy thought I had a stud finder clipped to my belt!
    i work at a private country club, and i'm not supposed to have my phone visible, but i get away with it because my uniform pants are black and so is my phone
    05-04-08 01:09 AM
    I've had my yellow otter box for about three weeks now, love it. As stated above, I've had a few people ask where I got my "dewalt" case lol. Cant beat the protection! I don't wet apply the membrane, just static cling, and it shows little to no bubbles, nothing that bothers me at all. Considering the extended battery, could use the extra juice. Anyone have or try a headset with the in ear silicone buds? The ones that come with the phone don't fit my ears for squat, small ears.

05-04-08 01:40 AM
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who ordered the yellow case. Mine shipped today from OtterBox although I kinda wish I ordered the black. Hopefully I'll get used to it.
    05-23-08 04:50 PM
    You will LOVE the yellow. Every time someone on the dept asks "what is that on your belt" and points to it.....I take it out of the holster, chuck it into a wall and say "It's my Blackberry." as I go to pick it up and dust it off.

Jaws drop.

Awesome.
    06-05-08 12:56 PM
    They sell otterboxes here at the mall at the different cell phone stores, for the blackberrys
    06-06-08 10:42 AM
    I have a Pearl Curve and 8820 all with otterbox cases. Hands down, the best case. I was on vacation and dropped it a full 12 feet and got down to it and picked it up no problem. Sometimes when it takes a hard jolt I get a message about no sim card but i tear it down and pull the battery and remove the sim card and replace and no problems after that. Saved my a$$ plenty of times. Great for protecting against dust in your keys and other ports even pocket lint.
    06-06-08 10:51 AM
    I just ordered a yellow one for my curve. It looks cooler than the black one. Suits my early 20s age better than the black one!

06-12-08 06:58 PM
    Just went to order an otter box direct from crackberry site because the price was reasonable (49.95) but with shipping costs (upwards of 30) its seems crazy. Any Canadians finding a more economable place with shippng?
    08-04-08 12:04 PM
    Great review. I have the yellow otter, use a 4GB card, extended battery and installed Soft Reset to replace to need to do a battery pull.

Put the case on for 4 days while I work my shift at the firehall. Wouldn't take it into a fire but appreciate the ruggedness for all the other calls. The department doesn't provide the phone but I find it indespencible.

Honestly though, the membrane on the screen drives me nuts. Don't mind it on the keyboard.

the only thing i'm not using is the clear membrane.
    i already have a BSE on my pearl and i'd have to peal it off in order to use the membrane properly. so the only thing thats not protected is the keypad, which i'm cool with. that being said i layed the membrane down on the keypad and it is nice, and if i ever have to remove my BSE i'll definitely put the membrane on.
    Found the perfect solution you may consider since you have a BSE.

I put the case together with the membrane. Then took a fine tip Sharpie and marked the screen on the membrane. Took the membrane off and cut out the screen. It now takes about 15 seconds to put the otterbox on, complete with membrane.

A good option for those that spend an hour putting on a screen protector.
    08-04-08 12:39 PM
    I have the yellow as well and really am not that happy with it...going back to my leather pouch.
    08-04-08 08:17 PM
    I purchased the black otterbox for my 8330 and love it. I used water and soap to make sure I had no bubbles(can be done, just takes patients and working inside out). The keypad membrane takes some getting used to as far as the buffering of that 'tactile' click but otherwise this case is the ultimate in protection. It has paid for itself through bringing my BB unharmed following some bumps and drops. I like the ruggedness in appearance that it brings to the table as well. Well worth the money IMO.

08-04-08 08:37 PM
    I too have an otterbox the all black one. I like it very much. A couple of cons are that it covers up the beauty of the phone itself and that when texting or emailing when trying to hit the space button i always hit the b/n button too. Also no slot for the sd card, but it's hard enough getting it in without the otterbox, could you imagine how hard it would be with the added thickiness. I ordered mine from a different site, but don't know if i am allowed to say who it was on here, but found that they were a heck of a lot cheaper than ordering direct from otterbox. I put the membrane on both the screen and keypad. I did not use the soap and water method but took my time putting it on and smoothed it out over and over with a card. The holster works quite well and puts your phone in lock mode if you have the selection enabled on your phone. Its very sturdy, I've dropped mine a couple of times and it's still ticking. I have not seen any stores selling these only seen them online. All in all its well worth it.
    08-04-08 11:58 PM
    I bought the Otter box right after I got my phone. I used it for about 3 weeks all the time... but It got to be a pain if I needed to do a battery pull. Now I just use it when I know I am going to taking my phone in and out of my pocket and if I am gonna just carry it free style just in case heaven forbids I drop it. Well... Just my 2 cents.

Great protection... but can be a pain if you like to do battery pulls more then once a month lol
    08-05-08 01:30 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD