seen an idea but not to sure how to do it
    05-12-09 05:56 AM
    First you'll need to bypass DVD copy protection on your PC. Download DVD43 or similar on your PC so that you can rip the movie to your hard drive. If you rip the movie and it has no sound or it displays blotchy, that's the copy protection interfering.

Next download Handbrake or similar to do the actual DVD ripping. Choose the Normal MP4 format. Depending on your PC speed and the movie length, this can take an hour.

Last is to transfer the movie to your BB. You can do a straight copy to the media card's drive letter on your PC, or you can copy it through Desktop Manager's Roxio Media Manager. Roxio will rotate the whole movie so it plays sideways on your whole screen, but it takes as long as ripping the movie in the first place. Take your pick.

In the end, you'll have a 700MB MP4 movie file on your media card.

EDIT: As always, someone has already described it better and more thoroughly elsewhere in the forum:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f85/bsw...s-flip-222900/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by hubermania; 05-12-09 at 12:28 PM. Reason: redirect to better explanation posting
    05-12-09 10:19 AM
    Okay so I revisited my complicated DVD ripping process as soon as my wife said, "show me how to do it". There is a simple one-step way of converting directly from a DVD to a rotated video that you can playback in widescreen on your BlackBerry Flip.

You'll still need DVD43 or similar to unlock the DVD so you can convert it. Go to DVD43.com to download the free unlock program.

And you'll still need Format Factory to do the actual conversion. Go to Format Factory's web site to download this free conversion program. Once you have these two programs, here's how you go about converting a DVD:

1. Start Format Factory
    2. On the left hand side, open the ROM Device/DVD/CD section and click DVD to Video File (see 1st screen shot).
    3. In the DVD To Video File panel (see 2nd screen shot), checkmark only the longest title. Change the video format to Mobile Device. Last, click Output Setting to bring up the "More Devices" window.
    4. In the "More Devices" window (see 3rd screen shot), scroll down the device list, open RIM BlackBerry, and choose the BlackBerry 320x240 MPEG4 profile. In the right-hand settings panel, change the frame rate FPS to 24.
    5. Still in the "More Devices" window, in the right-hand settings panel, scroll down and set rotation to Right (see 4th screen shot). This rotates the video so it plays w-i-d-e-s-c-r-e-e-n! Click OK to close the "More Devices" panel.
    6. Click "Convert" to close the DVD To Video File panel. It doesn't actually convert yet, but the DVD is added to the queue.
    7. In the main Format Factory window, click Choose Output Folder, browse to the folder you want the videos stored ["My Documents\My Videos" is a good choice] and click OK.
    8. In the main Format Factory window, click Start (see 5th screen shot).

When the conversion finishes, hookup your BlackBerry using the USB cable and copy the movie to E:\BlackBerry\videos where E is the drive letter of your phone's SD card.

The BB 320x240 MPEG4 profile gives playback that has the video and sound in perfect sync. However its 18fps frame rate has somewhat choppy camera panning. Upping the frame rate to 24fps gives silky smooth camera motion without increasing the size of the file very much.

Enjoy!
    06-27-09 04:01 PM
    Nice job hubermania, I think my wife and son can also follow your instructions. Which is nice for me as I sometimes run short on patience when explaining technical operations on the PC. Thank
    06-27-09 05:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD