Looking for a tough case...I have a very nice ratchet case but that isn�t going to work for me in the forest.
    I�m a forest ranger/tech. and I�m always pushing through young softwood thickets and these clips will eventually fail me, they get swept off my belt. I need a holster that has a strap sewn on it so my belt will pass through it securely.

Any thing out there.

Dave
    01-14-08 08:31 PM
    Not sure, but you might have to go with a universal pouch from somewhere like Home Depot or Lowes. They carry those one size fits all canvas cases.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-08 09:02 PM
    Have you checked out "Otterbox" cases?
    01-15-08 06:44 AM
    I would use the Otter Box to protect your BB. The belt clip I do not think will work the best for you. My Otter Box belt case has come off my belt a couple of times. For your case I would go to a tack shop and get one custom made for your needs. It will not be the most fashionable looking but when you are working in the bush who sees it.
    01-16-08 07:29 PM
    ahhh, someone who needs a REAL case, not one of those pretty business holsters. my BB holster's clip snapped off - just by snagging on a chair!

i bought a "MultiPurpose Carrying Case" from a great site called LAPoliceGear. this case does fit an 8830, even with it in a snap-on plastic case, though it's a bit long and the velcro closes with maybe only 1/2" of mating. it would be very easy to sew on a bit more velcro and make the closure really solid. the case has a pretty nice over-under-over flap for horizontal carry on a belt, and a decent strip of material for vertical carry.

LAPG also sells a BlackHawk "Escape & Evasion Drop Pouch", which will definitely fit a BB - any BB - at 5 x 3 x 7.5. in fact it's large for a BB, but it also has 2 compartments... pen, paper, food bar, whatever.

i've ordered from LAPG several times now and they ship pretty quickly. their clearance page is pretty awesome, especially for people who know the real value of real gear. probably the only drawback is that sometimes it can take a day or two for sold-out items to be removed from the clearance page.

- emilio
    01-16-08 10:19 PM
    I own the OTTER BOX, its the best blackberry added on, triple protection, membrane skin, a plymer case, and a rubber case, makes your blackberry a little bigger, but its worth the money

Geo
    01-17-08 02:13 PM
    I also have an OTTER BOX. and I just LOVE it!! I use it for my curve, I am forever dropping the fool thing. I dont use the clear plastic membrane that covers the screen and keyboard, but I use the outer shell. as latingeo said, it does make your blackberry bigger, but I love that, and it also adds some weight to the thing. but I love that too!! I am waiting for them to come out the the one that is completely waterproof, and I will jump on that one too!!
    01-17-08 06:33 PM
    I also have an OTTER BOX. and I just LOVE it!! I use it for my curve, I am forever dropping the fool thing. I dont use the clear plastic membrane that covers the screen and keyboard, but I use the outer shell....
    Why don't you use the membrane? Did you try it and didn't like it? I just ordered one, so I'm curious....
    01-18-08 06:01 AM
    Unfortunatly the shipping to Canada is more that the cost of the case...however all is not lost...I will look at a few police suppliers up here (I work for an enforcement agency) with these two cases in mind. I did e-mailed Otter Box a few days ago but they havn't responded as yet.

Cheers.....Dave
    01-20-08 04:44 PM
    I purchased my Otter Box from Ever Corporation, they are located in Canada and I found the cost was the same as in the US. With the shipping it came to about $56.00.
    The web site is: (WWW dot EverCorp dot com)
    I hope this helps.
    02-01-08 12:51 PM
    There's a custom velcro strap that can be configured for a variety of pdas phones etc. Its called a sumo strap and available from fastcap in Belingham Wa.
    02-01-08 05:13 PM
    I have an otterbox. Do not get an otterbox by itself. You are right when you identified th problems with a belt clip system. I have spoken with the R/D people at otterbox about this very issue. I was given the otterbox as a testing and evaluation product for the government back in October. The case is awesome but the belt clip holster is a disaster.

It can and will pop off your belt or your BB will come out of the holster if used in rugged environments. My suggestion is to go with the otterbox but buy an after-market belt loop holster.

They have a padded belt loop holster designed for the military/law enforcement users which will accommodate up to a 2 1/4" belt. You can find this item at ( eworldsuperstorelink). I believe its about $16.00.

Otterbox informed me that they are going to work on this glaring oversight and try to release a more secure belt loop holster. When I hear anything more I will put it out there
    02-01-08 11:15 PM
    I've been useing nite Ize cases for years on other phones. I just bought the currve a couple weeks ago, and have been looking for a tough case also. Turns out Nite ize makes a BB holster too. Even has the magnet for sleep mode. Check out their website, I think you'l like it. Tough nylon with a flap. Pretty good protection except they leave the bottom corners open so crap will fall thru.
    02-02-08 09:17 AM
    Here is the email I sent Otterbox with their reply regarding a new case or a place to find one:
    I have a BB 8800 and the belt holder that comes with the Otterbox case does not stay on my belt. I am in law enforcement and I have to where a thicker than normal belt when I carry my firearm. My belt is 1/4" thick. The belt clip does not close properly and the phone keeps falling off. I need a pouch to keep the BB in that will stay on my belt.
    I had pruchased a holder manufactured by Roots (a piece of junk) the belt clip lasted about 2 months.
    The biggest problem is getting a case that is big enough to hold the phone in the Otterbox case and has the magnet.
    If you have any other cases or know of where I can purchase one it would be appreciated.
    This was their repy to my emai:
    This is the second e-mail that I have received today from our friends in law enforcement encountering this problem. I searched our office with a ruler and unfortunately was not successful in finding a wider belt clip. I relayed this information to management and while they apologize, there is currently no plans to make a wider belt holster. Best of luck in you searching.
    Last edited by rotcart; 04-20-08 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Formatting
    04-20-08 05:35 AM
    I do not generally use a belt clip but wanted the otterbox (8830, here) to use the magnet. I hike, bike and cross-country ski and wanted the extra protection. The clip part makes it too big so using needlenose pliers I was able to disengage the clip mechanism from the rest of the belt-clip case. If you look at the belt-clip case, there is the circle that rotates with the rachet mechanism. That disk part separates from the spring clip and pops out.

You might be able to improvise something to latch onto that opening. Obviously a work-around solution but you might find something.
    04-20-08 10:03 AM
    I have the otterbox case and love it, I am a Geophysical field tech as well as a Search and Rescue guy so do lots of waking in the bush as well, the clip is an issue but the case rocks. I ordered from www. semsons. com and delivery was cheaper than from the crackberry store not by much but in the end it is worthwhile just to have the case. I take it off when I am not working in the outsdie environment as I don't like how thick the case is or the limited trackball use (more a big fingers than a case issue) and prefer to use my crackberry au natural.

Good luck.
    04-20-08 03:59 PM
    that just fits the BB 8830. I looked around and found one at Altell. If you don't need to protect the corners of your phone this case is perfect.

Sewn on (covered non-swivel) metal clip that won't snap off. The case is as nice (if not nicer) the OEM case.

Again, the phone fits just a tad tight. Could be bothersome if you are grabbing it day in and day out. But for me it's just right.
    04-21-08 12:56 PM
    Here is your answer. I have one and it is great! Nutshell Leather Cases
    04-21-08 04:14 PM
    I have dropped and smacked my previous cellphones. Soon after getting my new 8830, I looked around and found the Otterbox, checked out many reviews, and ordered 2 (also for my wife). We both love them, only slightly bigger than the original case, and the fact that the phone is fully functional in the hardcase is a major plus! Have not had belt clip issues, though I'm not out in the fields.
    04-21-08 08:12 PM
    I also like my otterbox. The pros are it makes the berry easier to grip thus less likely to be dropped. Its great protection, but it does bulk up the berry and makes it much harder to slip in and out of a pocket. I tried the silicone membrane that came with it but scrapped it because it caused weird echos on the other end of conversations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-08 10:19 PM
    Thanks for the reference jgo!

Here at Nutshell we are working up a set of leather belt cases that will accept all Otterbox products, including the Otterbox cases for BlackBerry.

So far we have identified one of our cases that will take the 8830 inside an Otterbox.

Go to tuff-as-nuts.com and click through to the Blackberry list.

Cheers
    Ian
    05-14-08 10:11 PM
    Try this i was looking for a case as I am a firefighter and I found this
    ruggedbrand
    03-28-09 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD