I'm a big case fan, and have about 4/5 cases for the Bold 9930. Lately I've been switching between the OEM BlackBerry hardshell case in black and my Vaja iVolution SP II case/holster which is blue with a black stripe (I posted pictures of that a while ago).

But, I just received my Ion Grand Prix Bold Ring case and decided to do a little mini review and post some pictures. I got the blue version and must say I am very impressed.

The build quality seems pretty phenomenal. The ring is extremely smooth and feels high quality. It is honestly very difficult to describe the feel when holding the case, the material is plastic, but it is very smooth and almost has a metallic feel. The case shines and seems very scratch resistant.

Color wise, I'm happy with the blue (as the 'grand prix' ring comes only in bright yellow, red, white and blue. The yellow seemed a bit 'loud' to me and the white just didn't seem to work with the 99XX imo. Red would have been my second choice.
    The blue is a bit light, but I like how it compliments the device.

Obviously the case is very low profile and doesn't cover much, but it seems as if it will still protect the device if dropped normally. (obviously it's no otterbox). I do have scratches on my battery door (as we all know it is very scratch prone), so the only thing that irks me is that those scratches are all visible with this case. (But, I knew that was going to happen before I purchased. And if the case did cover the battery door it would be a totally different style case in the first place).

Price wise, I paid about $41 with shipping. The Vaja case was over $100 (with shipping), but you are paying for the leather and holster capabilities there).

The case also came with a glare-resistant screen protector which I put into use and a cleaning cloth.

All in all, I'm EXTREMELY happy and will be rocking this case for a while.

Now here are some pictures!

And just to quote the description from the site:

Grand Prix Bold Ring BlackBerry Bold 9900 Art Lacquer Paint Job Case | ION-factory
    Perfect Combination

The state-of-art lacquer paint job Bold Ring case for BlackBerry 9900. A simple snap-on back cover that matches perfectly with the original carbon fiber body. Exclusive contouring also offers scratch protection for the screen and keyboards while the phone stands upside down.

designed for BlackBerry 9900 phone
    maximum protection against accidental damages such as bumps and scratches
    full access to all phone controls
    high-performance Polycarbonate plastic
    double layer coating lacquer paint job
    anti-scratching clear top-coating
    02-22-12 06:02 PM
    Do the charging contacts still work with this case on?
    02-22-12 07:19 PM
    ahww looks cool samaster14!! you went for babyblue hahah! :3
    i don't think the charging in the pod works with the case on..
    02-22-12 07:23 PM
    I don't have a charging dock, but usually I would say no.

But this is an extremely low profile case and is pretty open by the charging contacts so there is a slight possibility that it may work. Something I wouldn't count on though.
    02-22-12 08:07 PM
    great... now i want one
    02-22-12 08:54 PM
    looks pretty nice. I like low profile cases. I just recently purchased the iSkin Aura which I thought was pretty prices. It does snap on the back like yours but covers the battery cover also.
    02-22-12 08:55 PM
    No protection - useless as a case..what's the point of a case if it doesn't protect the phone...bling factor??
    02-22-12 08:56 PM
    It does offer some level of protection against the sides.

But, yes, mainly for the look of the case.

Again, I have the OEM hardshell and Vaja cases. Both stylish and offer protection. But I wanted an alternative to keeping the device caseless. And the feel of the ion ring is really superb.
    02-22-12 09:54 PM
    How is this thing practically useful. Its just a outer ring. It doesn�t cover/ protect any part of BB. According to me it�s waster of money.
    02-23-12 12:19 AM
    not a waste of money if he likes it. I do think its a bit overpriced but I can't blame him. I spent 40 on my iSkin Aura and it is just a back case but I love it. If you have the money and you want it why not.
    02-23-12 12:58 AM
    40 dollars for a half a case, no thank you.
    02-23-12 01:30 AM
    Not a waste of money to me. You guys are obviously entitled to your opinions, but your not going to convince me to give it up or feel bad for spending the money. I switch between a lot of cases and have the means to purcahse them all...

Its not always just about the protection. as I said, I like keeping my device caseless at times and this adds a little 'flare' if you will. Plus, the feel in your hands is really amazing. Fit is perfect and the material is extremely smooth. I got it more to have a change in color for when I wanted my device caseless, like people who buy different color battery doors or try to make their black 99XXs white.
    02-23-12 07:50 AM
    Protection wise it looks fine. Colors choices... moving on.
    02-23-12 10:20 AM
    i see you have fixed your A button by a new keyboard?
    02-23-12 10:26 AM
    i see you have fixed your A button by a new keyboard?
    Haha ya. I went for the $90 to have it professionally installed with the OEM keyboard. I didn't want to take the chance messing up myself or using an aftermarket keyboard from China which in itself could be hit or miss...
    02-23-12 11:38 AM
    can anyone confirm does this case works with the charging pod ?
    02-23-12 12:45 PM
    can this case be use with the charging pod ?
    02-23-12 01:00 PM
    Thanks for the review!
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    02-23-12 01:25 PM
    10-Dee-Q, if someone had known, they would have answered your question. No need to ask the same thing twice.. in a row, 15 minutes apart from each other.

I don't have the charging pod, so I don't know... and I'm the only one here I know of who has this case and is posting about it
    02-23-12 01:38 PM
    Bought an Ion Ring, very bad quality. Slippery as a wet carp! Sticking with Naked for now! No More Cases!
    02-23-12 02:29 PM
    Sorry not intend to double post but the connection is lagging just now, maybe I hit refresh accidentally.
    02-23-12 02:46 PM
    No problem haha.

And I like that smooth feel Albee. Quality seems amazing on mine. Very durable and resistant.
    02-23-12 03:02 PM
    Haha ya. I went for the $90 to have it professionally installed with the OEM keyboard. I didn't want to take the chance messing up myself or using an aftermarket keyboard from China which in itself could be hit or miss...
    haha yeah it looks beautiful again i'm glad friend got it worked out.
    i could have done it for free if i lived over there.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    02-23-12 03:07 PM
    No problem haha.

And I like that smooth feel Albee. Quality seems amazing on mine. Very durable and resistant.
    Hey if it works for you SaMaster I am happy for you!
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    02-23-12 07:33 PM
    Protects the screen and the back and might be able to use it with the charging dock, looks nice to me.
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    02-28-12 08:59 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD