The etching is shaped like an upside down bowl and it matches the same patten on the inside top of the case facing outward.
    08-29-11 10:05 PM
    Thanks for the pictures. The screen may be scratched but I still remain unconvinced that it was the holster if tmobile uses the same one that vzw does. I use the stock holster all the time and don't see how that could occur in that way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 10:13 PM
    Well I instinctly felt I should keep the plastic over the screen when I received my phone and the BM is correct. There is a visable etching on the plastic cover that comes with the phone. This would have been my screen if I had removed it. This is not a good look. I am definately going to get a screen protector. I'm not sure which one is best though.
    Last edited by cscott44; 08-29-11 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
    08-29-11 10:18 PM
    He's putting the phone in the case with the phone facing the outside of the case. That's not the right way...and is the only way I can think of where the stitching scratched the screen. Nevertheless, that should not happen.
    Last edited by FBA; 08-29-11 at 10:24 PM.
    DrLouie likes this.
    08-29-11 10:21 PM
    Don't screen protectors prevent your finger from sliding across the screen like it was meant to?
    In a word "NO"
    08-29-11 10:22 PM
    The included holster scratched my back plate on day one. a huge 1 inch scratch. DO NOT USE, is my advice. I have a case now and I'm getting a screen protector.
    08-29-11 10:30 PM
    I'm not sure that the holster did not do that. I instinctively kept the clear plastic that comes on the phone in place. I checked and there definitely is a etching across the lower part of the screen. If I had removed the plastic that would have been etched onto my screen. I am going to get screen a protector asap. Just not sure which one is the best (distorts less). Be careful with your cases
    08-29-11 10:37 PM
    I've ordered an otterbox. I was on the fence but this has convinced me.
    08-29-11 10:41 PM
    well... since i have seen this thread i went to check on my device... now i personally used the holster it came with but i face my devices screen inwards.... so i decided to get the area on the back of the device and exactly where i thought it would be there is a line like the OP has shown right on the glass that is above the camera... thank god i kept the plastic from the factory on the back of the device...

now i will be testing to see if this continues with the genuine leather premium holster that i am planning on getting... also in the meantime i can slowing stretching the OEM case it came with to see if that will help...

sorry to hear about this OP... and i see what you mean... i believe you that this happened by the case... its odd to same the least... i now need to get a new case... ugh
    DocZ likes this.
    08-29-11 10:53 PM
    Use a small bit of tooth past on a clean cloth to buff out the marks.
    I've used this technique on watch crystals to bring them back looking like new.
    08-29-11 11:39 PM
    use it,
    enjoy it,
    scratch it,
    bin it,
    change it.

its a tool. it will get replaced sooner than you think =)
    Cynn, DocZ and jad_bold like this.
    08-30-11 03:09 AM
    I do agree litebulb. And I have been. But certainly one can understand my frustration. It's been a little over a week and the supplied manufacturer CASE has done damage. I've contacted tmobile to see if they are willing to do something otherwise I will deal.
    08-30-11 05:46 AM
    This OEM case will alter the course of the SmartPhone industry.

08-30-11 06:01 AM
    Mine has also scratched the screen and only after 3 days of use. I called both my carrier and RIM and they both gave me the "Run Around". The carrier's original response was for me to contact RIM. After I called RIM they stated they were not the manufacturer of the holster only the device itself and to contact my carrier and return it to them with there 30day return policy. This is ridiculous, My carrier did not even have any screen protectors available at the time of purchase and still don't. And the one that was OEM lasted 3 times of removal from the holster before it peeled off. If this is considered normal "wear and tear" of the devise then they should include a free screen protector from the carrier at the time of purchase!
    08-30-11 09:09 AM
    Well I instinctly felt I should keep the plastic over the screen when I received my phone and the BM is correct. There is a visable etching on the plastic cover that comes with the phone. This would have been my screen if I had removed it. This is not a good look. I am definately going to get a screen protector. I'm not sure which one is best though.
    The original plastic cover that came on the phone is not ment to be used as a screen protector and scratches MUCH more easily than your screen would. Just because it got marked up does not mean your screen would have had the same marks had you initially removed it.
    08-30-11 09:29 AM
    Good job RIM. This will keep you in the black for sure. Replacing thousands of 9930s because the included case damages the phone.
    OP: you should send this (along with a good photo) to other tech blogs so that RIM cannot deny that it is an issue when people call tech support. They will need to redesign that case.

08-30-11 09:30 AM
    Shouldn't the screen be stronger and more resistant than this?
    08-30-11 09:36 AM
    My 9930 has been used in the case religiously since day one and there is not a mark on it. I scoured over it looking everywhere, and all is good here. I keep it in face out as well.
    08-30-11 09:36 AM
    This may not help those that have already taken the original plastic off, but when I got my new Bold I took a razor blade to the plastic that was hanging off and cut it across the thin opening on the top of the phone between the plastic and the metal, so there was nothing to peal.

I did this with my 9650 and stayed on for a year even in the tighter 8330 case.

Also with this case, I took off the stitching on the back where the holster was and carefully pried the leather back and carefully worked the holster out then glued in some leather, sealed it and, viola, had a case without the holster.
    08-30-11 10:27 AM
    In RIM's defense they did not manufacture the case, only the devise itself. (a statement from a RIM Rep) But to counter dict that statement they did manufacturer the devise and should have known that with it being a touch screen they should have make the screen much more durable and it should not be subject to damage so easily.
    08-30-11 10:29 AM
    Two words.

Screen protector.
    Or fire the guy who designed the OEM holster and then give the customer a new phone. RIM should replace his/her phone because NO where in the RIM's manual state that I must have a screen protector.
    08-30-11 10:34 AM
    Two words.

Screen protector.
    I purchased my on the release date and my Carrier did not even have any available, nor have they received any in to-date!
    08-30-11 10:40 AM
    Or fire the guy who designed the OEM holster and then give the customer a new phone. RIM should replace his/her phone because NO where in the RIM's manual state that I must have a screen protector.
    fyi, no manual says that anywhere for any device.... its just good practice if you want to have a nice scratch free screen... **** i have an atrix as well to my 9900, and the atrix has gorilla glass... know what the 1st thing i did, install a screen protector... 1 a perfect screen increase re-sale value. 2 it just looks better 3. its cheaper to replace screen protectors then a $100+ screen... regardless if its gorilla glass or not
    08-30-11 10:42 AM
    I strongly believe that there is no way for the interior stitching to permanently mar glass. The only interior stitching that is touching the screen in the stock holster is at the very top of the lip and is simply not hard enough to scratch.
    Got to agree with this I'm afraid. I've used an Otterbox with my 9900 for a week now. However, I've had a quick look at the case that came with my phone - on O2 uk - and there is no stitching on the inside of the case that would cause any damage to the screen?
    08-30-11 10:46 AM
    He's putting the phone in the case with the phone facing the outside of the case. That's not the right way...and is the only way I can think of where the stitching scratched the screen. Nevertheless, that should not happen.
    FBA is right. I was wondering the same. Phone is faced the other way. No issue on mine.
    08-30-11 10:53 AM
146 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD