I thought the reason for 'screen out' was so that the magnetic clip would put your device to sleep...?

I always use my holster for work...pockets are too hard to access while driving and with a clipped-down holster, I only need one hand to get my phone out.
    I have been carrying my Blackberries "screen in" for the last 10 years. The older BB's holsters only worked "screen in". The magnet has always worked.
    08-31-11 07:36 PM
    When you first open that box.. Don't remove that plastic film! it's a screen protector! Just use a nail clipper to snap off the removal tab and you'll have some durable protection.

I did this when I got my 9700's cracked screen replaced, even though the guy told me to remove it, I didn't. GLAD I didn't

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 07:55 PM
    FBA is right. I was wondering the same. Phone is faced the other way. No issue on mine.
    If you put the phone the other way (facing your belt) how do you see your Led?
    I think the phone is meant to sit facing outwards but I guess there is no real right of wrong way but I personally like to see my led.
    I have worked in trades for quite some time and the idea that nylon stitching could permanently do that to glass seems kinda whack.... Maybe its the glass that's defective and not the case or perhaps you work in a shop or plant and some aluminum dust for example is getting in between your holster and phone? Besides all that it looks to be from pressure and friction, if it was from taking it in and out the scratches would run vertically down the phone. Are you keeping the phone in your back pocket and sitting on it skootching around?
    You can try toothpaste but if you go to an auto body shop you can get some extra fine glass polish and try to get it out. If the screens were acrylic I would say use a bit of Brasso mixed with a few drops of water to dilute it a bit (you can try that if you like) and use a soft cloth (old t-shirts work well) and rub a small amount on the affected areas. Should any of my suggestions screw up/damage you or your phone I am not liable....

But all and all it sounds like defective glass more than holster.
    I personally don't like screen protectors, just not for me and those otter cases are way too transformer for me, plus, they don't conserve the battery like a snug lil pouch does. Just get a barely there and then get an old 9000 holster/pouch and fa-get-a-bou-dit!
    Last edited by dancouver; 08-31-11 at 08:15 PM. Reason: forgot something....
    08-31-11 08:03 PM
    phone is supposed to face out. just look at all the pictures from all shopping websites. they show the phone screen facing out so you can see the led indicator. simple as that. no controversy, no mystery, nothing.
    Cynn likes this.
    08-31-11 09:01 PM
    The case works both ways, I think it's all a matter of personal preference - screen in or screen out. That's why they made the case to be able to fit the berry both directions so everyone is happy. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

Screen in:

• Protects the entire glass screen because the back of the case is higher than the front.
    • When you pull the berry out of the case, it's already in your palm in the right orientation facing at you. You don't have to make an extra move to flip the phone around. Same for putting it back in.
    • You can't see the LED

Screen out:
    • You can see the LED when you look down at your belt.
    • You have to turn the berry around once you pull it out because it won't be facing at you.

The screen turn off screen in or screen out. So it doesn't matter.

I also have to say that the idea of tempered glass being scratched by nylon stitching is just absolutely ridiculous. Tempered glass is hard as **** and takes something WAAAY harder than nylon stitching to scratch it.

Here's a scratch test video on a Storm touch screen that's also made of glass. You can take a knife to it and it won't scratch.

Last edited by emechtion; 08-31-11 at 09:14 PM.
    08-31-11 09:01 PM
    The case works both ways, I think it's all a matter of personal preference - screen in or screen out. That's why they made the case to be able to fit the berry both directions so everyone is happy. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

Screen in:

• Protects the entire glass screen because the back of the case is higher than the front.
    • When you pull the berry out of the case, it's already in your palm in the right orientation facing at you. You don't have to make an extra move to flip the phone around. Same for putting it back in.
    • You can't see the LED

Screen out:
    • You have to turn the berry around once you pull it out because it won't be facing at you.

The screen turn off screen in or screen out. So it doesn't matter.

I also have to say that the idea of tempered glass being scratched by nylon stitching is just absolutely ridiculous. Tempered glass is hard as **** and takes something WAAAY harder than nylon stitching to scratch it.

Here's a scratch test video on a Storm touch screen that's also made of glass.

Actually when I pull mine out (screen facing outward), it lays right in my hand. But then again I use my right hand to take it out (holster on my right hip). Maybe you only have to turn it around if you use the hand opposite the holster?

But I agree, it's just personal preference.
    08-31-11 09:12 PM
    And what about herpes,gonorrhea and aids?
    Hahhahahahahahaaa!!!!!!!

08-31-11 09:15 PM
    If the holster is so tight, then why not get the original bold 9000's? Maybe they packaged the 97xx holster by mistake? That would explain it.

09-01-11 01:55 AM
    The case that came with my VZN 9930 isn't tight at all. (got it last week) Perhaps this issue is already being fixed at the manufacturing level?
    09-01-11 02:16 AM
    Screen out:
    It will if you cross-draw !
    LewLew23 likes this.
    09-01-11 05:06 AM
    Ok I have to say I seen this topic and I though NO WAY.....then I checked my 9900 from telus and sure enough there was a mark on it that I could not buff away. I put a screen protector on it from invisashield and it wasn't noticeable anymore. Until today when I looked at it and you can tell that the stitching is trying to scratch the screen protector.

TRY YOUR HARDEST STITCHING I'M NOT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT.
    jinth0688 likes this.
    09-01-11 08:57 AM
    So sorry for asking this (again?) but this thread is huge...

Has anyone with a T-MOBILE BOLD 9900 had any screen scratch problems with the INCLUDED oem Holdster?

Ive used it for about a day and haven't had a problem... but its been only a day.

have any of you on TMOBILE had this same problem with the included OEM Holdster like the OP? should i go ahead and get another case?
    09-01-11 02:15 PM
    Double post... my bad.

work comp sucks...
    09-01-11 02:17 PM
    In Europe, there is the Pouch included. I got also some scratches on the screen, but they can only been seen if the screen ist dirty (fingerptints, etc). But they don't look like stitches, those are real scratches. Whenn i clean the screen it looks like new. Realy strange...

I will try one of those fluids to fix screen scratches and then put a screen protector on it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-01-11 02:44 PM
    use it,
    enjoy it,
    scratch it,
    bin it,
    change it.

its a tool. it will get replaced sooner than you think =)
    +1 exactly right
    LiteBulb likes this.
    09-01-11 04:40 PM
    thumbs up......
    09-02-11 07:29 AM
    The holster has featured my battery cover. It's it covered in scratches from taking it in and out of the holster.
    09-02-11 08:18 AM
    The holster has featured my battery cover. It's it covered in scratches from taking it in and out of the holster.
    its not scratches. its customisation/character.

me: oh hey look, we have the same phone. how cool.
    you: errr, we have identical phones. mine has some visual effects on it. look, there are lines on my battery cover.
    me: wow!

09-05-11 09:44 PM
    The one on the left is the OEM clip belt pouch that comes with the phone. On the right is the OEM "envelope" style one that the phone slides into and goes to sleep. I never like buckling stuff to my belt so I always use the envelope style but that's just a matter of preference. I hope it's clear enough in the pic. The inside of the envelope case is thick and smooth. Kinda reminds me of the inside of a high end ski jacket. The other one is swede-like but sorta industrial.
    Last edited by tedzone; 09-08-11 at 10:51 AM.
    09-08-11 10:46 AM
    The one on the left is the OEM clip belt pouch that comes with the phone. On the right is the OEM "envelope" style one that the phone slides into and goes to sleep. I never like buckling stuff to my belt so I always use the envelope style but that's just a matter of preference. I hope it's clear enough in the pic. The inside of the envelope case is thick and smooth. Kinda reminds me of the inside of a high end ski jacket. The other one is swede-like but sorta industrial.
    My 9900 came with the second one...at the moment i havent got a screen protector on it and ive been using it for a week or so...altho on my screen i still have the original plastic that came with the phone, ive just cut off the protruding parts so it does look like a SP until i get my martin fields one.

But i havent seen any scratches on the back or front...i hope the OP is talking about the other pouch rather than the 2nd one..
    09-08-11 11:22 AM
    I gotta say that I am starting to see markings from my holster now too. The one that came included with my VZW 9930. Right now I can still wipe most of it away but it takes some tough scrubbing. There is one small portion that wont go away though. I fear that this will increase and get worse now. So I just bought an OEM true leather holster and am hoping that will stop the issue.
    09-14-11 11:42 AM
146 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD