I disagree with placement of the phone in the case. Either way, the screen is fully protected and the material is the same on either side including the inner surface of the flap. The case is designed to have the keyboard inserted first with the screen facing out. This keeps the message notification LED fully exposed.

I also agree that the case stitching would not leave a pattern on the screen as shown!
    The case stitching will leaving dotted line pattern, I can't comment on whether or not it leaves a permanent pattern, but I can see the pattern forming on my 9930's screen protector. I just wiped down my screen protector in one spot on the left where the dotted line was forming and the dotted line seemed to wipe away, but on my old Curve 8330, I have seen similar marks show up from the holster stitching on the back of the phone in which it was permanent. I do agree that the holster is designed for the phone to face outward in which you are still able to see the notification LED. This is how all BB holsters have been designed.
    08-31-11 08:46 AM
    He's putting the phone in the case with the phone facing the outside of the case. That's not the right way...and is the only way I can think of where the stitching scratched the screen. Nevertheless, that should not happen.
    The only way i have ever used a case it was faced outward and do you have any documentation that it should be facing inward ?
    08-31-11 08:53 AM
    Ive been using the holster that came with my phone and haven't had a problem with it - and I don't use a screen protector. Never have
    I can't stand them things lol.
    I think its just a case of bad luck D:
    08-31-11 09:10 AM
    Thats why I have the insurance - go naked
    08-31-11 09:34 AM
    Otterbox peeps,Otterbox.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 09:42 AM
    The only way i have ever used a case it was faced outward and do you have any documentation that it should be facing inward ?
    Yeah, this is news to me. I've ALWAYS used my leather pouches with my 9800 facing outward so that I can see the LED, that just makes sense. Also, if I accidentally face it inward I have a really hard time getting it out of the pouch.
    08-31-11 11:17 AM
    Slightly more than two words: if a screen is so vulnerable that it gets permanently scratched in the course of sliding it into the manufacturer's own carrying holster - which after all is there to protect it - then why don't these phones come with some kind of scratch protection on the screen to start with? At least AT&T has the right idea - when I bought a 9800 a few months back, they gave me a free screen protector with it. Granted, it was the crappy Blackberry one, but still.....
    CORRECTION: BlackBerry never makes any BlackBerry branded screen protectors because there is no need for one on their durable screens. BlackBerry screens are tough and rigorously tested, and there is no need for any more protection. Period.

The screen protectors you buy out there are all 3rd party stuff that adds nothing more than just a peace of mind and bulk to your phone. It also degrades the beautiful image quality of your 9900 screen so you won't get the full experience.

It's like putting a condom on during sex even though you've already had a vasectomy. It's pointless and you don't get the full pleasure that you get without one.
    Last edited by emechtion; 08-31-11 at 01:13 PM.
    08-31-11 11:33 AM
    I have this same issue - I noticed it yesterday. New 9900 and included holster. Aside - there is only one way to put the phone in the holster and that is screen facing the front, lower edge (otherwise you wouldn't see the LED flashing).

I have a vertical line up the screen on the left side - it just about polishes out.

I thought at first it was me marking it but for some reason in the case there is a vertical line of stitching or different material (both front and back of holster) which you can see if you look inside the case. It makes no sense for this to be here - it doesn't grip the phone or have any function.

08-31-11 11:35 AM
    Yeah, this is news to me. I've ALWAYS used my leather pouches with my 9800 facing outward so that I can see the LED, that just makes sense. Also, if I accidentally face it inward I have a really hard time getting it out of the pouch.
    I never realized people did this. Inward facing always seemed obvious to me. It means the screen is facing in the correct direction when you pull it from the holster and the screen is protected better.
    08-31-11 11:42 AM
    I never realized people did this. Inward facing always seemed obvious to me. It means the screen is facing in the correct direction when you pull it from the holster and the screen is protected better.
    I agree, plus if you have the one with the belt clip how can you see the LED flashing from your hip unless you are always bent over looking at it. LOL
    08-31-11 12:42 PM
    I agree, plus if you have the one with the belt clip how can you see the LED flashing from your hip unless you are always bent over looking at it. LOL
    I have the one with the belt clip currently because that is all that came with my initial box and my new case is on order. More often than not, I have the phone inside the case on my desk at work and I like to see the notification LED if it flashes which is why I have it facing outward. If they didn't intend for this to be at least a possibility with this case then they would have either made the flap completely across or maybe on the opposite side from where it is actually located. I do think there was a specific reason for the flap to be on one side in which to allow people to put the phone facing outward in which the LED is visible. You can do it either way, but I do think the outward way was considered in which the stitching should have been checked to make sure it didn't cause any marks or damage to the screen. I'm just glad I had my screen protector ready to go on before I even activated my phone, and I am awaiting delivery for my OtterBox.
    08-31-11 12:56 PM
    Picked up my 9900 last week in Ireland - guess what - no holster - just a pocket pouch. Guess they heard about this issue!
    08-31-11 12:56 PM
    Enough of this guessing game....Kevin... we need a public opinion poll on the blog..."When using the included holster, do you go screen in or screen out?"
    08-31-11 12:58 PM
    Picked up my 9900 last week in Ireland - guess what - no holster - just a pocket pouch. Guess they heard about this issue!
    I would have preferred the pouch, I'm not much for a holster, but I don't mind the pouch and probably wouldn't have bought an OtterBox if the pouch was included and not the holster.
    08-31-11 01:18 PM
    Enough of this guessing game....Kevin... we need a public opinion poll on the blog..."When using the included holster, do you go screen in or screen out?"
    +1........
    08-31-11 01:23 PM
    The screen protectors you buy out there are all 3rd party stuff that adds nothing more than just a peace of mind and bulk to your phone. It also degrades the beautiful image quality of your 9900 screen so you won't get the full experience.

It's like putting a condom on during sex even though you've already had a vasectomy. It's pointless and you don't get the full pleasure that you get without one.
    it depends on the workplace.

and here i thought the condom was to avoiding any STD.
    08-31-11 01:50 PM
    no need to do a poll, if you buy an OEM Pouch (not the one included in 9900 box). its clearly written on the box "Visibility to Message Indicator", that means it should screen out where the led is.

after re-reading again, it was holster... and my reply was meant to the pouch (since the pic before is a pouch... but stated as holster)
    Last edited by billyg072; 08-31-11 at 02:25 PM.
    08-31-11 01:56 PM
    havent read much, but in regards to which way the phone should be facing in the holster. i thought it was quite obvious that the phone should be facing outward (clip is on back of battery cover). especially because the flap is oriented to the left side, so that the led indicator light is not covered up on the right side
    08-31-11 02:02 PM
    no they are not, different carriers/ countries include different cases. USA from the looks of it is doing holsters while canada/ UK is mixing it up and doing pouches instead.
    08-31-11 03:37 PM
    just got an OEM holster for my phone off CB store so i dont need to worry about stock holster
    08-31-11 03:37 PM
    And what about herpes,gonorrhea and aids?
    DannyJK and LewLew23 like this.
    08-31-11 04:01 PM
    It sounds like it is thread dye color-transfering onto the glass, rather than scratches. Scratches require abrasion, which would not make such a clear pattern.

It's more likely that the color dye in the thread was not cured, or maybe local humidity is a factor (hurricaine Irene anyone?).
    Exactly. I just don't get how the holster could scratch a screen. First, if it actually were to scratch the screen, wouldn't there be one continuous scratch, not a stitched pattern? And second, how can leather (or string or whatever) scratch a glass screen? I can understand it making an indentation on a screen protector, but glass?

I can see my LED easily by just looking down. I know whether to pull out my phone or not by looking at the color of my LED (I use BeBuzz). I've never seen anyone holster their phone with the screen in. That's just weird to me

But on a side note, has anyone had problems with keys coming loose? My mom just got her 9930 a few days ago and her right shift key came off
    Last edited by LewLew23; 08-31-11 at 05:01 PM.
    08-31-11 04:52 PM
    I thought the reason for 'screen out' was so that the magnetic clip would put your device to sleep...?

I always use my holster for work...pockets are too hard to access while driving and with a clipped-down holster, I only need one hand to get my phone out.

Oh yeah...no scratches or any kind of marks on my 9900 screen, aside from fingerprints.
    08-31-11 05:07 PM
    the other thing thats bad is that the case is so tight, every time I take out the phone, the camera button gets pressed and the camera starts. I had to disable the convenience key.
    08-31-11 06:49 PM
    Exactly. I just don't get how the holster could scratch a screen. First, if it actually were to scratch the screen, wouldn't there be one continuous scratch, not a stitched pattern? And second, how can leather (or string or whatever) scratch a glass screen? I can understand it making an indentation on a screen protector, but glass?
    Yes, a stitched pattern cannot be a scratch.
    LewLew23 likes this.
    08-31-11 07:33 PM
146 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD