I've done numerous searches for holster threads, but I've seen none that can confirm the two (at least IMO) most important factors:

1. Does the holster drain battery?
    I believe due to tight fitting, certain holsters will cause keys or camera button to be depressed, thus draining battery power. This rules out a number of holsters that fit too tightly, i.e. the OEM RIM sleeve.
    2. Does the holster put the 8900 to sleep?
    Sleeper feature is pretty important (to avoid the above due to inadvertent key depressions), yet I've only been able to confirm OEM RIM and Seidio to produce holsters with the proper magnets that induce sleep. Furthermore some people say the 83xx series holster will do this if you insert it in some hokey-pokey way, and others say it won't work most of the time, so I'm quiet confused.

Can anyone recommend a holster that does doesn't drain battery and enables sleep 100% of the time?

Thanks in advance.
    05-10-09 09:01 PM
    Get crafty, its just a magnet with the negative side towards the phome that induces sleep.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 09:24 PM
    Get crafty, its just a magnet with the negative side towards the phome that induces sleep.

lol, DO NOT PUT BATTERIES NEAR YOUR PHONE. (Some people may try this )

but to answer the question, I believe the App Store here are crackberry has one for you.
    05-10-09 09:28 PM

That only solves half of the issues though. How about holsters that aren't too tight?
    05-10-09 10:02 PM
    The OE leather sleeve loosens up with use.

05-10-09 10:04 PM
    05-10-09 10:05 PM
    I bought a 8300 Curve case from a Sprint store and it wouldn't put my 8900 to sleep(magnet not strong enough or too far away). So I ripped my slide case apart that came with my 8900 and took the magnet out. It magnetized directly to the magnet in the holster and now it works. Also, the magnet I took out of the Blackberry case is so thin that my keys do not even touch the case. It looks a little different with a silver magnet showing when the phone is not in the holster but it works flawlessly.
    05-10-09 10:54 PM
    I am using OEM holster with clip and it works great.

When I first received it, it was a bit tight (not as tight as OEM sleeve).
    So I put my Samsung T339 in for a day to stretch it and it works great.

05-11-09 06:05 AM
    all the holsters that I have purchased from the t-mobile store/verizon store have worked great.
    05-11-09 09:22 AM
    I bought a 8300 Curve case from a Sprint store and it wouldn't put my 8900 to sleep(magnet not strong enough or too far away). So I ripped my slide case apart that came with my 8900 and took the magnet out. It magnetized directly to the magnet in the holster and now it works. Also, the magnet I took out of the Blackberry case is so thin that my keys do not even touch the case. It looks a little different with a silver magnet showing when the phone is not in the holster but it works flawlessly.
    Wait, so you took the magnet out of the 8300 case and replaced it with a different magnet? What kind of magnet did you replace it with?

This sounds interesting, I've heard the 8300 is a nice loose fit for the 8900, but the magnet had always concerned me.
    05-11-09 06:04 PM
    The OE leather sleeve loosens up with use.

And it stops the battery drain? This is contrary to most of the threads I've read where people had to stop using their leather sleeves...

Is this the leather holster that opens vertically?

all the holsters that I have purchased from the t-mobile store/verizon store have worked great.
    Hm...I'm wondering why people are so concerned about battery draining then?
    05-11-09 06:07 PM

I also have the official RIM 8900 holster with rotating belt clip. It is a tight fit at first but after a week or two of use it loosened up. I'm very pleased with it. Puts the phone to sleep and no battery issues here.

05-11-09 09:02 PM
    Get Seidio's holster. It has the "Sleep" feature you're looking for. Check them out: seidioonline.com

05-11-09 09:05 PM
    And it stops the battery drain? This is contrary to most of the threads I've read where people had to stop using their leather sleeves...

Is this the leather holster that opens vertically?

Hm...I'm wondering why people are so concerned about battery draining then?
    it is the one that opens vertically with swivel clip.
    05-11-09 10:00 PM
    Get Seidio's holster. It has the "Sleep" feature you're looking for. Check them out: seidioonline.com

Don't those Seido holsters cause the phone to have scratches?
    05-11-09 10:27 PM
    On my Pearl (that I painted many housings for), I had their holster and never came across any scratches. It's hard for me to say with the 8900, since I have the Innocase II and holster combo and the holster never physically touches the phone.

05-11-09 10:34 PM
    You can go hardcore for the otterbox, it has the sleep feature.
    05-11-09 10:41 PM
    I actually didn't replace the magnet. There is plenty of room to have the thin blackberry magnet magnetized to the existing magnet in the case. I have had no battery drain problems, I am in sales and use my phone hours a day. When the phone is not in the case you can see the magnet however it works perfect so for now it will have to do.
    05-12-09 11:10 AM
    +1 I have this in the vintage brown and love it.
    05-12-09 12:44 PM
    I actually didn't replace the magnet. There is plenty of room to have the thin blackberry magnet magnetized to the existing magnet in the case. I have had no battery drain problems, I am in sales and use my phone hours a day. When the phone is not in the case you can see the magnet however it works perfect so for now it will have to do.
    Ah, I understand now. That's good news then, I was worried the magnet on the case would be too small.
    05-12-09 05:19 PM
    +1 I have this in the vintage brown and love it.
    +1000. I absolutely LOVE this slipcase. Protects the phone, looks awesome and the leather feels like butter. Gets better looking with age too. I had one for my Bold, loved it so much that when I sold the Bold I hunted down an identical case for the 8900. The little notch to view the LED is a great feature. And they're lined with a velvet material, so there is no chance of scratching the face/body of the phone. The "sleep" magnet works perfectly as well.
    05-12-09 07:38 PM
    I bought the official RIM Leather Case (not the faux leather one that ships with the phone) and I've not had a single problem with it. As people have said, it's pretty tight to start out but soon loosens with time.

BlackBerry Accessories UK Store - Product Detail

That's the one, only I got mine from eBay for �10.
    05-12-09 07:46 PM
    Do you guys lock the keypad before putting the phone in the holster?

I always do and I have zero battery problems with the OEM holster
    05-12-09 11:42 PM
    Do you guys lock the keypad before putting the phone in the holster?

I always do and I have zero battery problems with the OEM holster
    Mine always lock immediately after I put it in. But if you are having problems might want to try this...
    05-13-09 12:30 PM
    Thats why you get the innocase as well
    05-13-09 12:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD