Whew, glad I spotted this thread. I just cancelled my order with Amazon for a Commuter. Shame, because it's on sale there for $21.99 or something, but I talked myself out of it anyway because I want to use a charging pod and I think the OEM skin will be easier to slip on and off.

Maybe when they resolve the issue, I'll spring for an Otterbox.
    07-28-10 11:00 PM
    So I got an email back from Otter last night at 5:30ish asking for a picture of the case and my contact info, etc.......

I sent the pic and all and by 7pm I had received a (no charge) sales order confirmation.

They had said yesterday also that the "issue" was fixed. I just don't know if they have adjusted the design and are in production or if some have already come off the line.

Either way, I wouldn't hesitate to order just because of the existence of the issue, per se. They know about it. They have "fixed" it. And they are being great from the customer support perspective and giving a free replacement regardless of where you purchased it.

Thumbs up to Otter for that.
    07-29-10 09:05 AM
    OtterBox is a great example of a good company! My new 9650 Commuter should be here any day and hope my charging port closes at least like my 9630 did! Fingers crossed!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 09:27 AM
    Got the same good service from Otterbox yesterday and my replacement is on the way. Will post when I receive it if the problem is fixed or not.
    07-29-10 10:26 AM
    I just got mine today and have the USB problem. It's not a huge deal, but is a little bothersome.

What did you guys do to contact Otterbox? Just email them?
    07-29-10 07:36 PM
    If you want, wait till I hear back from them when the new cases are coming out and able to ship.

But ya you can just email Otterbox support.
    07-29-10 07:42 PM
    I got an updated (no charge) invoice from Otterbox and my replacement is on the way.
    07-30-10 08:24 AM
    I sent otterbox an email last night stating that my charging port dosent stay in so hopefully i can get a replacement cause its kinda annoying issue.
    07-30-10 09:40 AM
    Just received mine today, lo and behold the charging port won't stay shut. The charging port is the reason why I ditched my 9630 case for a 9650 case or I would've just cut the damn thing off and saved 30 bucks!

Oh well, I'll just call OtterBox on Monday. Thanks yester18, I'm glad you helped them figure it out, because it's so annoying that I'd just use the Defender and leave the Commuter in a drawer!
    07-30-10 07:20 PM
    Update for Case #160376 - "USB Flap"

I know of no plans to redesign the 9650 Commuter, but am happy to replace yours if you would like.

Thank you,
    Kiley McGowen

This is the answer I received today when I emailed them about the usb flap concern. I guess I will wait for yester18 to get a reply from Otterbox.
    07-30-10 08:28 PM
    So I received my replacement case via priority mail today. I can in fact get it to stay shut. If I just casually push the flap in, it does pop back up. But if I push in a bit more in the center of the flap, it stays. I think they key is getting the inside nub to engage into the port to hold it in.

Later today, I will do the same with my "old" case and/or take a closer look to see if I can see any visual changes. It could be the couple of days use of the older case, but this new case seems to have a different rubber material. It seems a little .....er..... Less gel-like. I think it might give a little tiny bit less protection than the old one, but not really that much. Again, I'll have to take a closer look later.....

07-31-10 12:43 PM
    Just spoke with OtterBox customer care and as soon as the revised version is out, they'll send me one, if I call them back. So I'm watching this thread for that day. Until then I've just chopped the flap!

08-02-10 10:12 AM
    So it's not out? Then what did they send me?

Clearly what I have now works better than what I had before.....

Hmmmm?????
    08-02-10 11:13 AM
    I have this issue but its not too much of a problem. This is by far the best case I've ever owned for a phone. Really an ingenius idea to mix a silicone case with a hard outershell.
    08-03-10 11:20 AM
    So I have been emailing with a rep from Otter. They seemed to indicate that what they sent me is a redesigned case. But that does not jibe with what some of you are posting above.

The flap seems to stay better at times, but not always. With the headphone jack flap, it's a simple press and it's in and secure.

With the Port jack, sometimes I still need to press firmly with my thumb and then sort of rock the flap back and forth to get the flap to stay down. Regardless if this is the new and improved case or not that I have, it looks like the material on the front edge of the flap creates friction with the rest of the case and does not easily get pushed all the way in.

I am really going to have to go home tonight and put my "old" case back on and see if there is any difference or not.

Yester18, is any of what I am hearing from the rep I have talked to about the replacement they sent me jibing with whomever you have been dealing with? Perhaps I am getting one support rep who is talking out his a$$ and has no idea that you have been in communication with them?
    08-03-10 11:49 AM
    I have not heard of a replacement being sent out to users or my self. I am still waiting...

My contact is pretty high up and they have gave no indication that the cases were being sent out were new.

I will see what info I can dig up and make sure CSR's are giving true and factual info.
    08-03-10 12:43 PM
    Just a heads up from my conversation with Yester18 I had offline.

Our suspicion is that the case I received from the support rep I spoke to last week is probably just a replacement from inventory and NOT a new case. New cases may still be 6-9 weeks out.
    08-03-10 01:26 PM
    I just got a replacement case yesterday from Otterbox. It seems to stay closed a bit better but you have to push it in just right. The port cover did open a couple of times today going in and out of my pocket. Definitely not as tight fitting as the headphone jack which has never opened up on its own.
    08-03-10 01:37 PM
    I think the problem is not that it is "not as tight as the headphone jack".

I think that it is more tight...too tight. I think it is too long and thus the material catches on the rest of the case too much and that friction keeps you from easily being able to engage the flap correctly without working at it.

I do think the headphone jack is "tight", but just the right amount of material is there that the effort necessary to engage that flap correctly is minimal.
    08-03-10 01:42 PM

*** Important Update for all ***

Anyways, I have had further conversations with Yester18 and he has reconfirmed through his contacts at Otterbox (Public Relations AND engineers) that Otterbox has not yet produced and sent out any newly redesigned Commuter cases for the 9650 (fixing a design flaw that makes it difficult to easily engage the USB port flap).

Anyone who has received a "replacement" case (as have I) is just getting another case from inventory which may or may not be a little better with regards to the flap for the USB port.

According to Yester18's contacts, it may be at least 5 weeks before they are ready to send new cases out for replacement.

If you have purchased a Commuter for your 9650, I would call or email customer service.

888-695-8820 [email protected]

If you have previously called and received a "replacement" from them, I would re-contact them, with your original case #, and explain what you now know and ensure that they mark up your case such that you receive a new replacement when it is available (they may have already done this).

Thanks to Yester18 for passing on info to me that I can share herein while he is in meetings........
    08-03-10 02:01 PM
    LOL....I am trying to call them to update my case # and I am 34th in the queue. Methinks they are getting tons of calls right now.

I think I will have to just send email. I've got a few weeks anyways.......
    08-03-10 02:09 PM
    Hey all go some solid info from my multiple contact points at Otterbox

1. Our goal is to make 100% quality products and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

We are making improvements in 6-9 weeks time frame.

3. When the new case is available
    they can call customer service at that time, we can send them replacement silicone.

Bottom line as it stands right now if you call CS at Otterbox they will ship you the same type case with the same issues we are all seeing. Trust me I have tested 4 cases myself and they were all sent back to the engineers to get the ball rolling on this abut 2 weeks ago.

So if you can please wait to hear back from me over the next few weeks I will try and provide more info and a tighter time frame.

Otterbox is 100% committed to making this fix and get new cases out to customers. But they are still in development and testing with quality control.

Emails and phone calls to customer service will not help any way as this issue is already past them and communications have already been processed with Engineers and executive staff at Otterbox.

I will do my best to provide any more info as I receive it.

And do not forget Otterbox has stated that the current case you have, a replacement will be sent.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

08-03-10 10:38 PM
    John,

Thanks for the informative update. I will sit tight and wait for more info down the road.

Thanks again!!!!
    08-04-10 08:13 AM
    I emailed them about this, got a replacement, with the same problem....i did all of this before reading this forum. guess i'll wait till they release the new version and try again.
    08-05-10 12:04 PM
    bump, any word on this issue?
    08-27-10 08:47 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD