Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

124 87.32%
  • No?

2 1.41%
  • Already knew this stuff!

16 11.27%
    Hi I am jlj and I try to make things a bit easier for everyone!
    Just in case No one is here or has no answer to your problems and you need some basic trouble shooting tips, HERE!
    If you have any questions, Start a new thread if the answers arent presently posted.

*If you have an issue and want to show us all here what it looks like on your phone, use this:
    ota: http://m.thetechmogul.com/
    desktop: The Tech Mogul - CaptureIt

30 Shortcuts!

Complements of ST79 here at Crackberry!
    More Shortcuts from RIM
    BlackBerry - Tips and Tricks for the BlackBerry Curve 8300 Series

BASIC Troubleshooting!

1st:
    Are you on a data Plan? You'll need one to get the max amount of use from this device! So get One! simply everything plans are at Sprint.com and can be ordered over the phone as well!

2nd: Do you have The latest OS installed? You'll need that to help stay away from any older bugs that have been fixed already and to stay up to date with most of the resources available. Most members who are here to help and make sure you get things up and running are on the latest OS! As long as I am around i will make sure that the Most up to date OS is always a sticky! (sticky's are threads stuck at the top of the forums thread list) get it!

3rd: Are you registered on to the network? This is done by having a registered data plan on the Network, with Sprint together with Nextel! If you are, you will need to make sure that your service books are up to date and have been sent to your device! The easiest way to do this is by going to this website:
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=nextel
    If it says that you aren't a member just create a new account and then you'll have access to your account that way! If you have done this already then you will see "Service Books at the bottom of the list on the left. Its really hard to miss. the next page will allow you to send your service books! once done you should receive notifications of activations to your emails. there's other stuff sent too so this is a good way to go!

4th: Is your Phone up to date with the Network? It needs to be in order to reap the rewards of any hard work you might have went through to get! Your phone will need a master radio reset! This helps a lot with connection issues! the way to perform a master radio reset is to follow this method. if on the latest OS it will not restart your phone.
    first go to options, then security options, then general settings, then hit menu key and an option for master radio reset will be there. Select it with trackball. Now a window will pop up and ask you for a password. the pass word is "0000" or "000000" or "00000000". 4,6 or 8 zeros will work! it will prompt you to continue or not and select continue. Now your phone is no longer on the Network and you will have to enable your network connection! it should now be refreshed!

5th: How To help us Better help You, Casper34 Posted this very useful how to...
    Here is a piece of info that will helps us in helping you.

Let us know what...
    OS
    DM
    Service Provider ...You are running.

Across the top of the threads you see a blueish/purplish line, in there you see "User CP", "FAQ", "Members List"....

If you click on the "User CP" you can change the info we need, your avatar, contact info...

After you click on "User CP" click on "Edit Profile".

Scroll towards the bottom you will see "Device Model" and "Carrier"... This is what we look for.

Under "Device Model" enter you BB model number, OS, and DM versions (Look at mine it says "8350i (Curve) OS .204 DM 5.0").

Then edit your "Carrier" (Mine says "Sprint/Nextel")

This will help us help you by avoiding some of these questions and answers that we will need to know, cutting down the final result time, keeping the thread shorter and cleaner.

I hope everyone will take a look at theirs and edit if necessary.
    Very Useful!

6th: OTA [over the air] update?
    this is very simple but will only work on OS versions .128 and higher!
    go to options, then advanced options, and finally down to wireless update! Simply follow all the prompts and Please Never forget to back up all your Data and 3rd party apps before you attempt any type of OS updates!

heres a link to how to back up your third party apps:
    **Updated**How To Back-up 3rd Party Applications**Updated

7:th Call Activation Number for registration? thanks to lulu berry!
    Oh.... Sprint Nextel does have a 1-800 number that you can use to test your phone for outgoing calls. I saved the number myself after having phone problems with my old phone, (Called tech support on a land line when this happened of course.) After my phone was fixed. I saved the number, and from time to time, I would call it just to see if my BB was working. You get a message saying, "thank you for calling sprint, your service is now active." It's also good to use when you are traveling. Once you get off an airplane, and turn on your phone. I would call the 800 number so that I would be recognized by the network. Instead of having to wait for everything to kick in.
    The number is 888-546-0314

Well this is just a few tools that i would like anyone who cant find help on network related issues to use just in case there's no one here to help!
    I will add on and/or Correct anything that changes or becomes relevant.

"8350i Themes" here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/forumdi...ysprune=&f=142
    *Themes can cause errors when active and doing a reboot.
    So before battery pulls and resets, activate a pre-loaded theme!
    Will stop many headaches!

"8350i Telus OS" here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f137/of...-telus-200927/

"8350i Media Formats here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f137/ea...torial-208402/

*************************EXTRA****************
    If you have "NxTL" you need to call CS and tell them to enable DC on your plan unless you dont use it!

*note* this is mainly for Nextel Users, the process may be different for any other carriers. but for the most part this is all universal. please post any questions, concerns or updates!
    Thank You all For Reading!
    Last edited by justlovejoy; 04-23-09 at 10:34 PM. Reason: refreshing!
    04-13-09 08:54 PM
    please note any corrections that need to be made!
    04-13-09 08:56 PM
    What is the point of this radio reset? Does it need to be done periodically? I got my phone in January and had a few mms and email problems the first day but a one hour call to nextel took care of that and no problems came back. Should I be thinking about these things or should I leave sleeping dogs lie?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 10:07 PM
    What is the point of this radio reset? Does it need to be done periodically? I got my phone in January and had a few mms and email problems the first day but a one hour call to nextel took care of that and no problems came back. Should I be thinking about these things or should I leave sleeping dogs lie?

If you have no real issues with your BB or if you are getting e-mails,texts, any MMS in a timely matter, and your data is working correctly, let those dogs rest. There is no need to keep resetting the radio other than to get around common problems. I would suggest a battery pull every so often though.
    04-13-09 10:24 PM
    lol you go jlj
    04-13-09 10:37 PM
    If you have no real issues with your BB or if you are getting e-mails,texts, any MMS in a timely matter, and your data is working correctly, let those dogs rest. There is no need to keep resetting the radio other than to get around common problems. I would suggest a battery pull every so often though.
    Works for me. Everyone had me scared here as I joined this site after getting my bb but I have not had any real issues other than the stupid reception I get at home

04-13-09 10:42 PM
    You can even fix your "stupid reception" lol by calling Sprint and asking for whats called an "airave" Here is a link to a trhead about this... http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/why...ghlight=airave

Sorry to hi-jack your thread JLJ...good work as always my man!!!
    04-13-09 10:55 PM
    One correction to the master radio reset JLJ: The way to access this is:
    options, security options, general settings, then hit the menu key and you will see master radio reset.

Good info by the way!
    04-14-09 07:26 AM
    Great Job JLJ!! Very helpful, even to us that have been on here for a little while.
    04-14-09 07:35 AM
    One correction to the master radio reset JLJ: The way to access this is:
    options, security options, general settings, then hit the menu key and you will see master radio reset.

Good info by the way!
    changed it! Thanks! Glad to be some help!
    04-14-09 09:14 AM
    I never could find the info on the radio reset, thanks JLJ!

May want to add resending service books, too. I would but it's a pain to post something like that from the device itself! I know it's a useful early-stage trouble shooting tip.

04-14-09 10:49 AM
    Quick question here, I find myself sometimes scrolling down to see old e-mails from say, a week ago and I have to keep scrolling up with the trackball in order to get back to the top of my Inbox. Is there a shortcut to skip doing this, where I can simply just go directly to the top of my Inbox? Please if anyone knows this, I'd appreciate it. Also, this applies to MMS messages as well.

Thanks,
    Matt
    04-14-09 11:00 AM
    Hey Matt....just hit "T" to get to the top, or "B" to get to the bottom

04-14-09 11:55 AM
    You can use the "T" "B" shortcut on a lot of other things too, even right here in the forums at Crackberry!

04-14-09 12:12 PM
    Hey Matt....just hit "T" to get to the top, or "B" to get to the bottom

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!! DID NOT know that....how in the heck do you guys know this stuff? I was really glad Matt asked that question. I had no clue. Geez, over 50 and still learning!!!1
    04-14-09 12:51 PM
    Ironically cookie, I learned everything I know right here! Especially because of people like jlj who start threads like this one

04-14-09 02:15 PM
    its been a long day but i still wanna add more! any suggestions?
    04-14-09 07:01 PM
    How bout a sticky of apps what they do and a web address and link to them.

(That ought to keep him busy. Thank god he can't read anything in() lol)

04-14-09 07:15 PM
    That would be really hard to maintain! But maybe it'll get me in good with the app makers for free apps!

04-14-09 09:08 PM
    Lol just remember who gave ya the idea

04-14-09 09:27 PM
    yeah! i know!
    04-14-09 10:14 PM
    It stuck!!! Holler~
    04-14-09 10:46 PM
    How about a list of tricks and short cuts just for us 8350i'ers
    04-15-09 09:43 AM
    Ok I need to ask something basic that I think everybody knows except me about the 8350. Does the phone support CDMA or GSM networks?
    04-15-09 11:27 AM
    no it wont... or else it would have been a hybrid!
    04-15-09 03:51 PM
102 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD