Hi All-

First time poster, so I'm no longer a virgin. Forgive me if this is a re-tread but...

I have been using cell phones since probably many of you were old enough to know what they are. And I have been through the mill with them. Which is to say, protecting the screen is a mutha.

My advice: get a Zagg protector: www dot zagg dot com

They're expensive, but worth it. Every penny. They look great - perfect really - and are super strong.

If you've any doubts, for those of you who can get to one, find one of those mall carts where they sell 'em. When I was there deliberating a kid walked up and had it done and it convinced me.

What's pretty cool is that they can even sheath the full device, but that's *really* expensive.

And no, I'm not a shill for Zagg, just someone who believes in touting good products and services. This is one.
    04-15-10 05:33 PM
    I agree but, Best Skins Ever (BSE) makes a better product for a lot less. It gives much better coverage than Zagg, especially around the bezel where it would most likely get scratched in a fall. The "orange peel" effect that Zagg has is minimal on BSE protectors too, and the film isn't as sticky when using a touchscreen phone.

Zagg is good, BSE is better.
    04-15-10 05:42 PM
    I agree but, Best Skins Ever (BSE) makes a better product for a lot less. It gives much better coverage than Zagg, especially around the bezel where it would most likely get scratched in a fall. The "orange peel" effect that Zagg has is minimal on BSE protectors too, and the film isn't as sticky when using a touchscreen phone.

WAAAAAAAA! WHERE were you when I needed ya???

NOW I've got BSE ENVY!!!
    04-15-10 06:07 PM
    I made the same mistake you did. I got a Zagg for my Storm, and loved it. Decided to try the BSE on my Tour, and was very impressed with that product for the reasons I mentioned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 06:16 PM
    These kind of skins are nice, and do offer great protections without taking up bulk or changing the appearance of the device much. However, it is near impossible for them to stay perfect. What i mean is, after months of putting your phone in your pocket and pulling it out, the edges of the skins are bound to pick up some lint, and eventually the edges will lift.

Just my personal experience anyway.
    04-16-10 02:52 AM
    These kind of skins are nice, and do offer great protections without taking up bulk or changing the appearance of the device much. However, it is near impossible for them to stay perfect. What i mean is, after months of putting your phone in your pocket and pulling it out, the edges of the skins are bound to pick up some lint, and eventually the edges will lift.

Okay, so once the edges lift and it starts looking icky, can I just take it off and then my BB is left unchanged.

Is it anything like a sticker? Will there be any left over residue and things of that nature?
    04-16-10 04:54 AM
    Nothing like a sticker, no residue on these, at least the ones that are talked about here. Once taken off it leaves your phone in the condition it was when the protector went on. I've even heard of people taking them off, cleaning, then putting it back onto the phone, good as new.
    04-16-10 09:48 AM

this is my reply from another thread but relevant here, so...

hey, i'm the guy who gave the rec for zagg and you hepped me to bse, touting them to the skies. while i find thei mission statement homey, i've done due diligence and while bse beats zagg on price, that's where it ends.

the catch is that you have to install these yourself. THAT IS MAJOR. you yourself said it took you 1.5 horus - let's subtract .5 for football (hey, i'm a huge sports nut, so i unnerstan'). that still leaves you with an hour.

now, let's be conservative; let's say your time is worth AT LEAST 15 bux an hour, NOW you're up to about zagg's price, and you STILL may eff it up.

AND, it sounds like you're a perfectionist - ocd or not - so trust me, MOST people this is going to take longer by a factor of at least 2. now you're upping the stakes.

tgrust me folks, the gamble on this bet isn't worth it - pay the "extra" bux and have a pro do it - IT IS WORTH IT.

the caveat is this; you have to find one of those zagg booths and have THEM install it - i wasn't convinced so waited for him to do a few. believe me, i'm probably older than you, dear reader, and been around phones a long time, and one thing i ALWAYS loathed when i got a new brick was installing the protector.
    04-16-10 11:01 AM

i know EXACTLY what you mean. i've had many many many of these damn things.

however, the zagg - so far - looks perfect. on my bold, the screen has a beveled edge - the zagg installer said that one of the qualities of their screens is that they "grow" into your device and adhere/grip around contoured edges.

he didn't lie.

i also use the carrying pouch bb provided - A LOT. the screen looks PERFECT.

verdict: ZAGG RULES - so far.

btw, it's about time bb gave us loyal customers a really practical but cool carrier. it's the first tiem i can remember not having to buy an aftermarket custom carrier. for my curve, i bought a full body shield that cost me over 50 bux!!!

so far,
    04-16-10 11:07 AM
    You bring up a very good point there, they do charge to just put the protector on though. I know when I got mine, it was $30 at the booth, and another $10 to install. That is the full body one though.

Now, all that said. It does take some time to install, but in that 1.5 hour you aren't constantly working. When I did mine, I'd install one of the many pieces, let it tack up some, getting it right where I want it, then let it dry for 15-20 minutes before moving on to a new piece. So time spent actually working on it totals maybe 15-20 minutes. I also think I did a much better job than anyone at a kiosk could do.

These use water/solution to install, so with patience they are quite easy to put on. They come with all the stuff you need and great directions on how to do it.

Having a "professional" install is a good idea for some, but not me. If I want something done right then I do it myself. I don't ever take my car into a shop, I don't trust those people will take good care of my stuff. So I would never pay someone to just follow directions on a box.

As I said these require water to install, so they are much easier then most screen protectors. If you have a small bubble then push it out before it dries. If you still can't get it then take it off and get it wet again. Being these do require water, which phones don't like, the protectors require some time to set up and dry properly. So it's nice to do this with the battery out before bed, so it will be dry and ready to go in the morning.

Very good point you make though. If you don't think you have the patience and/or ability to do this, then having a pro do it is worth it. But an average person could install these without any problems. I'm sure if you brought a BSE protector to Best Buy, they would install it for you for a small charge.

I also want to add, like I said in a previous post, that BSE is a better product. They offer more coverage, feel and look better once on the device.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 04-16-10 at 11:39 AM.
    04-16-10 11:34 AM
    You say it takes 1.5 hours to install and that is potential money foregone at your day job hourly rate. But this is partially a hobby and interest too so it really depends on how you see it and I'm sure most cb usrrs here view this as a hobby rather than a job or chore.

Secondly, you say you're not a rep but it seems you're trying pretty hard to promote this item if you're ust a "regular consumer" and not an employee of zagg. You even took the effort to dig up some thread from few years ago regarding BSE in the bb accessories category to further "advocate" your view on zagg products. A little over zealous for a non employee/rep of zagg.

That aside, I've recently ordered BSE and will see how that goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-10 01:20 PM
    I really lack the patience to do anything like a total body protector, I would be one to pay someone to do it for me. My old 8320 had a zagg and it worked very well but on my 9700 I went with clearvue.
    04-17-10 02:15 AM
    great thread
    04-20-10 07:54 PM
    The one dollar special from Justin is a great po-man's solution. I personally can't see spending more for a screen protector- I mean one sheet of plastic is the same as another sheet of plastic, right? They fit close enough for government work. Good clarity and no bubbles. Dead easy to install, takes 10 seconds.
    Last edited by F0nage; 04-21-10 at 03:27 AM.
    04-21-10 03:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD