I know there are a million posts about video conversions, however some are getting several months old so please don't tell me to use the search before posting b/c I have done that! Thanks in advance for not jumping all over me.

I have been trying to take my own DVD of Old School and put it on my blackberry and am having troubles... hopefully one of you smart, kind people can help me out!

I found an easy method to convert copyrighted DVD's (for my own personal use and discs that I own) to try Dvd Shrink to convert it, then use Blackberry Video to finish it so I am able to put it on my BB. Not sure if anyone on here has used the combo of those 2 programs, but I have received error after error. Maybe some of you can offer a different free program or two to use that might be easier and more user friendly. Keep in mind I am doing a copyrighted DVD so I need to decrypt that first, I believe!

OK, so for DVD Shrink, I think I finally figured out how to change all the settings so it works for Blackberry Video, however I am unsure b/c I am getting errors in BB Video now. I have been using this website Free BB Video: How-to Convert DVDs to Blackberry Video Converter Tutorial as a guide. I originally selected my backup target as the hard disk folder, and I managed to get thru BB Video, however I only had audio, no video. So I googled and thought I found a solution to change it to output ISO Image, which now I get an error in BB Video that it was unable to complete.

So I'm kind of stuck b/c I've tried to do this several different ways, multiple times and it takes about 40 minutes each time so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or help for me to convert my own DVDs to my BB for my trip!

I also have DVD Decrypter on my computer, I used to use that to just do a straight up backup of my dvds, however I haven't used that program in over a year. All my new DVD's would get errors due to the copyright protection so I gave up on that. However, Old School is an older movie which I don't believe has that special protection on, so I guess my 512th question would be, should I first decrypt using DVD Decrypter, then use Dvd Shrink then BB Video Converter? Or is DVD Shrink already a decrypter? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, especially if you successfully use DVD Shrink and Blackberry Video Converter.

Sorry for the long post! But I thought I would throw out there as much as I could to find a solution!
    06-11-08 10:46 PM
    Skibs, I think we are dead in the water on some of these movies.
    I posted about simular problem with an older movies that I own that I could not get converted. I used shrink DVD and others including Media Studio for blackberry which I bought and no one posted any ideas on this. By the way my movies is Uncle Buck.
    Hope you come up with a solution, I gave up.
    06-12-08 10:25 PM
    I _THINK_ dvd shrink is merely a method of reducing the overall size of the original dvd's full data (generally more than will fit on a dvd you can record on your computer) to fit on a blank dvd you can burn.

So, I believe, you need the decrypter to, ahem, break the coding which then lets dvd shrink work. Those two programs work in concert. There are other similar couplets and probably ONE program that would do all of that.

Then once you break the code and copy the dvd you then need to RE-code the movie to a format that the BB can use.

I would guess that while some of the data/solutions appear old, most still work up to the point of getting it coded for the BB, as there are different BB models and screen sizes.
    06-13-08 10:04 AM
    Thanks Seacliff!!! I would love to get Uncle Buck working!!! I'm going to try and mess around with some different programs today, and if I figure it out, I'll definitely let you know. It's frustrating b/c there are a million different combinations of programs you can use, so it's hard to find a person that is willing to take a few minutes to share exactly what they are doing. Everyone just says "yeah it's easy, i did it" And the few ppl that do share how to do it, that method doesn't seem to be working for me b/c they have left out a few details on the settings. Or you have to spend $30 for software. Which I have no problem spending the money if I know it's going to work, but there are never guarantee's with software... and my knowledge, lol!

Good luck to you Seacliff and thanks for your understanding! If I figure out a free or cheap solution, I'll fill you in... wish me luck!
    06-13-08 10:08 AM
    I _THINK_ dvd shrink is merely a method of reducing the overall size of the original dvd's full data (generally more than will fit on a dvd you can record on your computer) to fit on a blank dvd you can burn.

So, I believe, you need the decrypter to, ahem, break the coding which then lets dvd shrink work. Those two programs work in concert. There are other similar couplets and probably ONE program that would do all of that.

Then once you break the code and copy the dvd you then need to RE-code the movie to a format that the BB can use.

I would guess that while some of the data/solutions appear old, most still work up to the point of getting it coded for the BB, as there are different BB models and screen sizes.
    Thanks F2, that helps me understand what I need to do. I'll try decrypting first!

And for the record, these are my own personal movies, not "stealing" anyones, just want to have a few on the berry when I travel to Seattle so I don't have to haul the laptop.

Thanks again for your help!
    06-13-08 10:11 AM

And for the record, these are my own personal movies, not "stealing" anyones, just want to have a few on the berry when I travel to Seattle so I don't have to haul the laptop.

Thanks again for your help!
    With the weather we in Seattle have been experiencing - you might want to rethink your plans or decrypt even more movies!!!!

I actually have not done much conversion - it can be tedious and time-consuming.
    06-13-08 12:26 PM
    With the weather we in Seattle have been experiencing - you might want to rethink your plans or decrypt even more movies!!!!

I actually have not done much conversion - it can be tedious and time-consuming.
    I'm in WI and we have half the state under water, can't be much worse than that there! We have houses floating down the rivers... and they aren't meant to be house boats I'm coming into town on the 24th, so hopefully it warms up a bit by then!
    06-13-08 12:40 PM
    Hello Folks!
    06-28-08 03:30 PM
    Hello Folks !

I am an unrepentant pirate.
    Currently I have the newly released 'The Incredible Hulk' and 'Sicko' on my pearl.......Got your attention so far? If so I will tell you how to do it .......

I dont use dvdshrink anymore BUT in your forum here I will tell you what I do and how to deal with that dvd shrink to mp4 format.

What I do;
    download www*utorrent*com
    source of videos www*piratebay*org

programs ro convert vids to folder so 4.3 can convert = http//thepiratebay*org/tor/4065152/Magic_Video_Converter_v8.0.8.25_Key-HeartBug

magic video converter is to be used in both methods
    I simply download vids I like and use magic converter to reformat to mpeg4 format (I do all 4 choices of the mp4) then using blackberry desktop manager (with media manager). The 4.3 desktop manager / media manager will then convert the format to the applicable mpeg4 format for your blackberry.

As for your original format I have had dvd shrink. It compresses the 9+ gigs in your dvd to 4.3 gigs on your hard drive.
    The file format is VOB
    in a nut shell use your magic video converter to change your vob file to mpeg4 and follow the above steps.

Personally I just download what I want convert it and fill my 2 gig micro sd with movies.
    I bought my micro 2 gig for 12 bucks on ebay too including sd adapter .

I hope this helps
    cheers
    Ron
    06-28-08 03:56 PM
    LOL you do realize you're going to H-E-double toothpicks, right?
    07-27-08 02:01 AM
    For defeating the copy protection, use DVD43 (DVD43 v4.31 - Download Sites) and it is free. Then, for the ripping to the Blackberry format, try DVD Catalyst (found at DVD Catalyst 3 : DVD to iPod iPhone Pocket PC PSP PS3 XBOX AppleTV Zen Zune and more) and they do have a free version. All you have to do is remember to change the encoding parameters from DivX to the 3GP when you select the Blackberry template. So far, working very well for me in the tests that I have done.
    07-27-08 11:18 PM
    I use cucusoft and tunebite. I rip the dvd with cucusoft then take that file to tunebite to squash it to mobile video. The first file will come out about a gig or a little bigger depending on the length of the movie. The tunebite file comes out anywhere from 220mb to 400mb again depending on the length of the movie. I have had zero problems using these two programs and the quaility is pretty good. i have done over 150 movies and they all work pretty good. My only problem with the whole thing is that is takes an average of 4 min to upload it to my bb. Other than that I love it. I would give you links to the software but I can not post links.
    07-30-08 03:28 PM
    yea after hey quit updating dvd shrink and i started getting the "cyclic redundency error" and the "invalid dvd navigation structure" error i had to find a better way, another good prog is dvdfab. has the free 30 day trial and all so you can try it out...

DVD Copy Software from DVDFab | Copy DVD to PSP, DVDR or iPod
    10-14-08 07:47 AM
    If you want to have a combination of those two programs in one convenient software package, check out DVDFAB.

Look up DVDFAB3 or DVDFAB4. They both offer "DVD TO Mobile" options and the same codecs are available in the older versions of the program.

If you're resourceful, you can find free copies everywhere...
    And if you're not, I'm sure you can ask around.

Dm
    10-14-08 10:12 AM
    I'm in for Tunebite too.Like the way it works.Just the other day used it, and did a great job to convert some tv shows my sister's been bugging me to put them on her nokia phone.At first I wasn't that convinced that they would turn out good, but I must say that the converted files were just great.Took a look at them on the phone, and the quality's great, they're not out of sync in any way; are very watchable taking into account the fact that her nokia 6300 doesn't have that big of a screen and it's not really a phone for this job.
    11-21-08 06:48 AM
    I just use xilisoft dvd converter. It rip directly to mp4 format. Now like all rippers u need a dycrypter. I use anydvd. It runs while ur cpu is turned on. So every dvd I put in my cpu is technically uncoded. There are soooo many different methods

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 11:31 PM
    Btw, did anyone try the latest version of tunebite by any chance?I'm curious about the new features I read this version has.
    11-24-08 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD