I just bought a non-oem holster from ebay last week and saw a post about holsters with magnets that costs $30 and decided to show you guys a trick you can do with a non-oem $5 holster on ebay and the pouch that comes with the curve and combine both to make the Curve go into holster mode when it is in your non-oem holster.

1st I cut the magnet out of the pouch that came with the Curve and keep the small thin leather part that is around the magnet.

2nd- on the back of the non-oem holster i super glue the magnet with the leather top right below where the clip is. You can test if your Curve goes into Holster mode by taping it first before you permanently super glue it.

This way when you put the Curve in the holster it automatically goes in holster/sleep mode. works like a charm. Theres a pic attach to show the final product. Sorry for the bad quality, i used the camera phone

Hope that helps and save you some money.
    Last edited by 2Theyen; 01-30-08 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Add Picture
    01-30-08 02:36 PM
    Thanks for the tip!

All you have to do now is post a few photos...
    01-30-08 02:59 PM
    Not a bad idea. Thanks.
    01-30-08 10:49 PM
    I was thinking of doing that, but I'm a lazy *******. Maybe I will try it to so I will have 2 good holsters instead of that pouch. Why doesn't rim but a belt clip or loop on the pouch?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-08 12:56 AM
    I think this is a great idea, but I actually kind of like RIM's holster so instead of tearing it apart, I might try an experiment with that flexible refrigerator magnet material.

Has anyone tried this? I wonder if it is strong enough? Anyway, it's easy enough to find out.

Rich
    05-20-08 03:06 PM
    I think this is a great idea, but I actually kind of like RIM's holster so instead of tearing it apart, I might try an experiment with that flexible refrigerator magnet material.

Has anyone tried this? I wonder if it is strong enough? Anyway, it's easy enough to find out.

Rich
    The flexible stuff, I had no luck with, but the solid metal ones worked just fine.
    I modified a Speck clear case to get that function.
    05-20-08 03:57 PM
    OK, I tried a few magnets and it looks like the refrigerator magnets just aren't strong enough.

I also tried a thin ceramic magnet that's a little less than 1/8" thick and it would turn the BB off once in awhile, but wouldn't be reliable.

I have an old cellphone case with a magnetic latch, and that did the trick consistently if the magnet is centered over the "TY" and "GH" on my curve.

I found some nice looking NEODYMIUM ring magnets online, but I'm too new to post a url

Just look at the kjmagnetics.com website and look for product R8201 and you'll see some nice little washer-like magnets that are about 30cents each.

(I have no affiliation with K&J Magnetics)

Rich
    05-20-08 04:22 PM
    all you have to do is peel back the felt insert from the bottom corner of the holster and reveal the magnet. It falls right out.
    06-05-08 11:59 AM
    Any thoughts on where to find a magnet that could be used as a sleeper magnet? I.e. one that could be sewn into an aftermarket holster?
    06-20-08 06:00 AM
    Ok I actually made this work today. I went to Michaels Arts/Crafts and bought a pack of 4 little neodynium magnets for like $3. I then sewed one into the back of my nylon holster under a little patch I have to function as a pouch. I made sure to line the magnet up with the center of the keyboard when the curve is in the case. I sewed around all the edges of my DIY patch so that sucker isn't going anywhere.

It works like a charm! When I put the curve into the holster it goes into standby just like it should!

06-20-08 09:59 PM
    SO i think I am going to make a new case to match the interlargos plaid on my GTI. I will post pics when it is all done, but i was just wondering if anyone knew if too strong of a magnet could dammage anything.
    07-18-08 08:49 AM
    SO i think I am going to make a new case to match the interlargos plaid on my GTI. I will post pics when it is all done, but i was just wondering if anyone knew if too strong of a magnet could dammage anything.
    These are the exact magnets I have been using for over a month, and haven't seen any adverse effects. The magnet is sewn into the back of the case, so there is some fabric and about 1/8" space between the phone and the magnet. It shuts off every time and the phone works fine. Available cheap at Michaels!
    07-18-08 03:30 PM
    What in the BB makes it go to sleep when its near a magnet and can this same feature be installed on my son?

The 3am wake up would stop hahaha

07-18-08 03:45 PM
    What in the BB makes it go to sleep when its near a magnet and can this same feature be installed on my son?

I'll take 2 when you find out.
    07-18-08 04:01 PM
    Your son? Not understanding... I don't know which blackberries have this or how long its been around, but on my curve if I put a magnet near my G and H buttons, it puts the device to sleep. I'm pretty sure most blackberries within the last several years have this but I don't know for sure.

stego likes this.
    07-18-08 05:09 PM
    Your son? Not understanding... I don't know which blackberries have this or how long its been around, but on my curve if I put a magnet near my G and H buttons, it puts the device to sleep. I'm pretty sure most blackberries within the last several years have this but I don't know for sure.

Ya know, to put her son in "sleep mode" ? lol ;-)
    07-18-08 08:22 PM
    These are the exact magnets I have been using for over a month, and haven't seen any adverse effects. The magnet is sewn into the back of the case, so there is some fabric and about 1/8" space between the phone and the magnet. It shuts off every time and the phone works fine. Available cheap at Michaels!

do you use one magnet per case or since they are small do you need more than one?
    08-29-08 07:29 PM
    do you use one magnet per case or since they are small do you need more than one?
    One will work just fine
    08-29-08 07:36 PM

So that's the actual way to put it in there? I thought you would put it the opposite way. :P
    08-29-08 07:38 PM
    why not just buy the OEM Blackberry curve holster off ebay for 6$ and save the hassle of fabricating one? maybe im just lazy but id rather buy an OEM product and save myself the work.... especially when you buy the magnets ($3) and the Non- OEM holster ($5) your pretty much at the same price plus u have to fabricate it sooo i guess what ever ur time is worth to you sooo when ur all said and done.... i dont find it worth my time... great idea tho for the crafty type....
    08-29-08 07:48 PM
    You only need one magnet. One was strong enough to go through the fabric of the holster, and it still work 100% of the time.

To answer the second question... I had the same case that I used for years at work (I'm a paramedic so I need something tough). I didn't want to change cases and this one stayed on my belt perfectly. The $3 magnet and 15 minutes to sew it in were weeeeeeell worth it, trust me!

08-29-08 07:52 PM
    Thanks 2Theyen for this great idea.

I didn't want to ruin the pouch that comes with my curve, so I did the following.

1) Tore open my old LG Musiq holster.

2) Toke out the 4 magnets,which is used to hold to flap closed (Image 1).

3) Duct taped 1 magnet to the back of my curve holster (Image 2).

4) Put a little super glue at the edges of the duct tape,just to make sure the the tape never falls off.
    07-07-09 02:29 PM

So that's the actual way to put it in there? I thought you would put it the opposite way. :P
    Goes the other way so the track ball fits in the groove of the case....
    07-07-09 05:06 PM

Good post.
    07-16-09 07:04 PM
    Has anyone checked on a 8900. I am getting a customised leather case from a local guy and would love to use a magnet to utilise the sleeper function. Tried with the refrigerator magnets, but they don't seem to work. Is the sleep spot near G & H areas?
    08-24-09 02:32 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD