I thought it would be nice to start some DIY's on how to do stuff. Below are some instructions on how to make your own ringtones with a mac.

Load a song onto your mac. Be sure to go into Itunes an set it up so that it when it imports songs it will do it as mp3 and when you export it is set up to export as an mp3. You can find this in Preferences/advanced. I have done it also with songs I aleady had loaded too.

1) Open Itunes and Garageband.
    2) Select the song you want to cut up and drag it into Garageband.
    3) If you move your curser to the song you can shrink it down to the length you want. You can also cut it up and delete parts of it, best way to describe this is below.
    On the garageband screen there are some sissors, click them and then another section will come up from the bottom. This is like a blown up version of your song. If you move the curser over it you will get a + click and drag and it will highlight the song. Click again or double click and it will make the highlighted area seperate on the original. Click on that part and hit delete then drag the two together. With some playing you can make it seamless.
    3) Once you get it to the length you want it go file to export to itunes.
    4) At this point it will transfer to itunes (you can select where), find this file and do a cntrl+click and select convert to mp3.
    5)drag this to the desktop and verify it is an mp3.
    6) there you go, put it on your bb and you should be good to go.

I hope this is a help to someone out there. Sorry if it lacks some detail but I'm assuming a certain amount of computer literacy. I just fumbled around and figured it out on my own. If you try and fail try again or let me know and I'll try to help you out. Have fun!! I cut up a song the other day and dedicated it to my sales force.
    03-23-07 04:49 PM
    ...for the info. Now to have someone do one for Windows PC's...
    03-23-07 11:29 PM
    Wouldn't that be nice - if anyone is listening...YES, for a PC with Windows. Every now and then MAC does this to us
    03-23-07 11:31 PM
    Thanks for the info! Helps the MAC guys out!
    03-24-07 01:52 AM
    04-27-07 06:48 PM
    Great, thanks for the link...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-07 07:14 PM
    I made some ringtones for the BlackBerry. The problem on older models is to get them onto a web server to download them to the BlackBerry...
    04-30-07 10:07 AM
    for those that want a PC program, i use mp3DirectCut (freeware). works awesome...take any mp3 you have and you can chop it exactly where / when u want...
    04-30-07 11:23 PM
    i love making ringtones, sooo much fun and better than paying for them!
    05-17-07 12:51 PM
    if i want to use a movie quote any idea how i get the sound of the dvd? I use a mac
    07-04-07 06:30 PM
    Hi all,

I'm new to crackberry.com and new to owning a Blackberry as well.

I agree with rlem00 about Audacity. It's freeware and overall a *very* powerful program. They've got a big user community out there, as well as several guides. I've used it here and there and when I have I found it easy to work with and got the results I wanted the first time =).

That lil commercial out of the way, I found a great article on cnet.com that's a bit more for intermediate users of this program, but is well written so it should help the novies too =). Besides cleaning up the sound of mp3's in general, it also gives a brief how-to on making your own ringtones (towards the end of the article).

To get there follow these steps (the forum wont' let me post URL's until I've hit 10 posts )

1. Go to cnet dot com

2. In the search field, type:

Audacity, ringtones

3. The article you're looking for is called:
    "Becoming an MP3 Master with Audacity July 11, 2007"

I was concerned that the article didn't address the better capabilities of the blackberry so I d/l'd Nightrider as well as the Super Mario Bros. theme at tuneusin dot com and found that it used these values:

ringtone duration: 17/21 seconds
    bitrate: 80kbps
    channels: 2 (stereo)
    audio sample rate: 32khz
    (with exception to the duration everything was the same)

I think it's somewhat odd that the creator of these ringtones would keep it as stereo. I didn't think Blackberries had more than one speaker. That said, you might be able to save more space (while not sacrificing audio quality) if you make your ringtone mono. I'll experiement with this and let you know how it goes =).

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

JFresh
    08-27-07 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD