08-20-10 06:46 AM
250 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I have no doubt that it exists in .83. I'm referring to the fact that the file does not exist on
    the device for the Javaloader command to work. In other words, is it confirmed that the
    method In your original post will not work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The only thing confirmed is that you can't do it. That's all, because I just unloaded the file and deleted it without issues. I also deleted the file manually from the phone when I first installed .83 because I forgot to delete it from the Java folder.

12-26-08 06:40 PM
    I just want to know, was the heartache many of you went through worth the whopping 5mb gain of space?

Sometimes, we have to think about this.....(good advice for all things in life).... just my 2 cents.
    12-26-08 06:46 PM
    The only thing confirmed is that you can't do it. That's all, because I just unloaded the file and deleted it without issues. I also deleted the file manually from the phone when I first installed .83 because I forgot to delete it from the Java folder.

I will agree with you that I cannot do it because the file does not exist on my device. However, it also does not exist on other users' devices based upon those users' posts earlier in this thread.

The fact that you deleted the file manually from the phone when you first installed .83 means, by definition, that there is/was something different between the device files that exist(ed) on your copy of .83 and mine. (FWIW, I had done a JL_Cmder wipe prior to my .83 install.)

I already realize that I can simply remove/rename the file in question on my PC and do a reinstall of .83 to resolve the problem.

The only reason I posed my original question, was to determine whether your original post needed to be revised. No offense was intended. I was just trying to possibly help out others having the same problem as I am having while following your well-described instructions in that post.
    12-26-08 06:49 PM
    anyone any way to delete just the sample pictures with out deleting the whole sample folder?
    Currently there is no way to do this. I am working on it but have so far, made little progress due to RIM's file locking procedure.

Both my utilities CrackMem and CrackUtil will remove these files. CrackMem requires that the current OS is installed on the phone whilst CrackUtil can remove the file by just selecting the file net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod. Both CrackMem and CrackUtil are downloadable from the links in my sigbature. Both tools are free.
    12-26-08 06:54 PM
    ...whilst CrackUtil can remove the file by just selecting the file net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod.
    Both are excellent programs, by the way. I've used both. Thank you for writing them. But just so you know, CrackUtil does not show the file "net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t. cod" on my Storm, because it does not exist on my Storm. (Running OS .83)

Since CrackUtil is essentially a front end for javaloader, and since others have reported that javaloader also cannot find that particular file on their device, apparently some, but not all of us can neither use javaloader nor CrackUtil to delete that particular file from their Storm.
    12-26-08 07:01 PM
    Both are excellent programs, by the way. I've used both. Thank you for writing them. But just so you know, CrackUtil does not show the file "net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t. cod" on my Storm, because it does not exist on my Storm. (Running OS .83)

Since CrackUtil is essentially a front end for javaloader, and since others have reported that javaloader also cannot find that particular file on their device, apparently some, but not all of us can neither use javaloader nor CrackUtil to delete that particular file from their Storm.
    I wondered about this after I had posted. I also just read JRSCCivic98's earlier post.

Here is what is hapenning. The file net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod is a container file for a number of other files (like a zip file or an envelope) within this file are contained the files you wish to delete. However they have now been unbundled by DM when it installed to OS. The container file still exists but its component files are now locked by the OS.

branta tells me that he can open a .cod file with WordPad and he can then see what is inside.

To remove this fie completely it has to be done ate OS install time and CrackMem will manage this for you but in this case only as you perform the upgrade due to RIM's file locking.

Today this seems to be about the best that can be done.
    12-26-08 07:10 PM
    I wondered about this after I had posted. I also just read JRSCCivic98's earlier post.

Here is what is hapenning. The file net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod is a container file for a number of other files (like a zip file or an envelope) within this file are contained the files you wish to delete. However they have now been unbundled by DM when it installed to OS. The container file still exists but its component files are now locked by the OS.

branta tells me that he can open a .cod file with WordPad and he can then see what is inside.

To remove this fie completely it has to be done ate OS install time and CrackMem will manage this for you but in this case only as you perform the upgrade due to RIM's file locking.

Today this seems to be about the best that can be done.
    Thanks for your confirmation.

I assumed from the problem I was having, and from the same reports from other users, that the file can now only be eliminated prior to OS installation, and no longer after OS installation.

However, JRSCCivic98 was able to do it after his .83 installation, so some mystery remains.
    12-26-08 07:16 PM
    Guys, I delete two files from the Java folder when I install my Storm OS.

net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod

and

net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod

When my phone comes up, the wallpapers are gone, but my folder icons and other junk are still in there. Sample Pictures folder is EMPTY (0) files.

I've done this with .75, .76, and .83. I've also just delted the cod with javaloader, but I don't know why you guys can't get that going... it worked fine for me. Rooster has even confirmed that deleting the cod out of the Java folder prior to OS load will delete the wallpapers, so again... I don't know why this is so difficult for you guys.
    12-26-08 07:30 PM
    I don't know why this is so difficult for you guys.
    It's not that it's "difficult," it's simply not possible to delete a file that does not exist. Surely you must agree with that.

If it's that you don't believe that the file does not exist on my Storm, I will be happy to send you an javaloader file listing output of the entire file listing on my Storm.
    12-26-08 07:44 PM
    Rooster has even confirmed that deleting the cod out of the Java folder prior to OS load will delete the wallpapers.
    And I already acknowledged that I knew it could be done prior to OS load, and that this was not the reason for my posting.
    12-26-08 07:47 PM
    I wanted to see if any one knew how to set a picture as wallpaper/screen saver on the landscape screen, other than the default blue one that i currently have.
    12-26-08 11:10 PM
    Guys, I delete two files from the Java folder when I install my Storm OS.

net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod

and

net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod

When my phone comes up, the wallpapers are gone, but my folder icons and other junk are still in there. Sample Pictures folder is EMPTY (0) files.

I've done this with .75, .76, and .83. I've also just delted the cod with javaloader, but I don't know why you guys can't get that going... it worked fine for me. Rooster has even confirmed that deleting the cod out of the Java folder prior to OS load will delete the wallpapers, so again... I don't know why this is so difficult for you guys.
    Just to be clear, you are doing this BEFORE you load the OS to the phone? I know you said that but I wish to be sure.

If this is the case then this works the way I think it should/always has.

Once the .cod file gets opend by DM/phone at install time all the various files are "unzipped" onto the phone and then locked so that they cannot be removed.

I know that you love manual deletes (and so do I) but CrackMem will do this for you. All the files I delete for the various OSs and phones are listed in the Help text of the program.
    12-27-08 04:54 AM
    Don't forget, the VodafoneMusic.cod is the sample song
    12-27-08 10:45 AM
    Pete6..

I used the CracUtil prgram and went into the file list and deleted the file...it then reset the phone..is that normal?

Nevermind, it didn't delete them for some reason..I'm going to try again I guess..Actually I am going to try a battery bull to fully reset, as I saw earlier in this thread that worked for someone else..
    Last edited by MrLorence; 12-28-08 at 02:41 PM.
    12-28-08 02:29 PM
    It appears, (to me at least), If you delete the preloaded wallpapers, it has the same effect, (affect?) as deleting the preloaded ringtones, You get a lock on the profile as soon as one is assigned, option appears in the menu, but when you try to select it, nothing happens. Fought with this a bit this morning.
    It appears, once you move a couple pics to the internal memory and do a battery pull, you regain the ability to change wallpapers.
    12-29-08 11:13 AM
    So let me see if I have this correct...the 5MB of space that you free up is NOT app memory but just part of the 1g built in memory?
    01-01-09 01:22 PM
    Rooster has even confirmed that deleting the cod out of the Java folder prior to OS load will delete the wallpapers, so again... I don't know why this is so difficult for you guys.
    I confirm this. It's quite easy folks.

here is the link to the thread I started about succeeding in dumping the OEM walls.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/suc...le-pix-118901/
    01-01-09 02:32 PM
    Just to be clear, you are doing this BEFORE you load the OS to the phone? I know you said that but I wish to be sure.

If this is the case then this works the way I think it should/always has.

Once the .cod file gets opend by DM/phone at install time all the various files are "unzipped" onto the phone and then locked so that they cannot be removed.

I know that you love manual deletes (and so do I) but CrackMem will do this for you. All the files I delete for the various OSs and phones are listed in the Help text of the program.
    yes, BEFORE loading OS
    01-01-09 02:34 PM
    So let me see if I have this correct...the 5MB of space that you free up is NOT app memory but just part of the 1g built in memory?
    No it is app memory.

01-01-09 08:51 PM
    There's no way to copy them with the onboard Explorer before you delete the file containing them. However, since they still seem to be available on the device even after deletion of the file, who cares... you'll still have them.

This is puzzeling me too...
    Can you Bluetooth Push them to your PC, then after they are erased from the Storm, copy them from the PC to the MicroSD card?

I did this with the Demo movie...

I haven't tried it for the sample pictures yet...

EDIT: Nope... can't "send via bluetooth" with the built in pix. Oh well..

mkleiman posted this -> Storm Sample Pictures
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-02-09 at 08:32 AM.
    01-01-09 10:15 PM
    I don't understand why they locked the stuff that people would obviously want to delete.
    01-02-09 01:06 AM
    I did the noobie way of deleting the file. Actually, I just moved the file net_rim_bb_medialoader_bankground_360x480_t to a different folder and went to update using DM and it went through the whole cycle and loaded the module net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t and the ringtone one as well. I checked my memory after I did a reset and it was the same. Do I need to removed net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t too?
    01-02-09 02:24 PM
    Use Crackmem! All it does is move the module to a folder called "removed modules" and BB DM will see that the file is missing and delete it from your device. If you choose to have the wallpapers back, just drop the file back to it's original spot!
    01-02-09 02:43 PM
    Actually...im losing 1-2mb after I removed it. I'm going to do a wipe and reinstall the OS to see if there is any changes.

Edit: I wish I read your post 2 seconds ago before I completed the wipe.
    01-02-09 02:45 PM
    I did this last night. I got rid of VAD and the default wallpapers and then I re installed .85. I now have 51mb free after a battery pull and all my apps installed. Ill definitely take it. I also removed and organized my home screen icons to make it so I don't have to scroll anymore. All these tweaks help a little.

01-02-09 08:54 PM
250 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD