I deleted the sample folder and it worked. Not sure what I lost though- can't remember what was in the folders but hopefully it wasn't too important. Just highlight sample>bb>delete

I couldn't delete the folders in the sample folder either so hopefully this works for those of you having trouble.

Do enjoy dahlings!
    06-10-09 05:19 PM
    thank you a lot
    06-25-09 04:11 PM
    I couldn't get crackmem to work but this download works great:

BBFileScout

You can run straight from your BB and delete locked wallpapers, etc. I deleted all locked wallpapers, didn't see any increase in available app mem. I deleted the sample video, that freed up about 2MB.

Can anyone tell me what the BB allocates to 'app mem' vs. 'system mem?' For example, are contacts, emails, SMS, etc stored in app mem, or system mem? Does the BB automatically allocate app mem from system mem as needed, or is it set in stone?

Right now I start the day at about 33MB, get toward 22MB by the end of the day.. then an overnight QuickPull fixes it.. working smoothly so far.

I turned off my Viigo auto-update, that seems to have stopped some memory leakage throughout the day.
    06-29-09 08:18 PM
    so this is the closest thread that I can find to ask the question. I am trying to make a wallpaper show up all the time...even when I hit the menu button. Any idea how to make this happen?
    06-30-09 11:53 AM
    Can we get rid of sample videos and ringtones as well?
    There is a file net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_9500.cod I am not sure how much i need this since i have a 9530, so can i just delete that and gain a couple mbs?
    06-30-09 12:18 PM
    Can we get rid of sample videos and ringtones as well?
    There is a file net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_9500.cod I am not sure how much i need this since i have a 9530, so can i just delete that and gain a couple mbs?
    Sample video is not in that cod file. The video can be manually deleted via the Media Player and it won't come back. And no, you cannot or rather should not delete the default ringtones, as it'll hose all your sound profiles if you don't know what you're doing.
    06-30-09 04:08 PM
    Sample video is not in that cod file. The video can be manually deleted via the Media Player and it won't come back. And no, you cannot or rather should not delete the default ringtones, as it'll hose all your sound profiles if you don't know what you're doing.
    I had a memory leak after installing .148, so I did the Security wipe and Reinstalled .148 w/o restoring my files. I was then at 48 mb on start. BES restored some of my settings, but my Memory was not leaking. After reinstalling some apps I would start at 45 mb. Then I deleted some files using BB File Scout, Including OEM Wall Papers, Sample Songs, Sample Pictures, and the Contact Pictures. But on Re start my Available memory seems to have decreased to 35 mb!!!

Now, because I was not leaking I was not watching my memory fanatically, but I was fairly certain that I was starting over 40 prior to deleting the OEM wall papers and other sample files. Any reason why Memory might Decrease after doing that? I think I am just missing something.

I only have AOL, Yahoo Msger, Pandora, Evernote, Flashlight, App World, Facebook, AP News, Poynt, Google Maps and Quickpull installed. So I am not sure where up to 13 MB of App memory went and seemed to happen most noticably after deleting those files.
    07-02-09 12:37 PM
    Well initially I deleted the entire samples folder as everything was locked there.

After redownloading the same (latest official) os that I was using, I got back all the sample ringtones/music/pictures etc.

HOWEVER, now they were not locked and I could move the ringtones to my media card, move the pictures (or delete), and same for everything else in the sample directory.

Don't know why this worked, but it was much easier than the original steps posted.
    07-04-09 11:59 AM
    ive followed your instruction and deleted the sample pictures but it doesnt add 5MB to Application Memory.. it might add some memory in the device memory BUT NOT the Application memory.. did you guys got additional 5MB (or less) in the application memory?

bcoz IMHO we strom users are looking for something that can add freemem in APPLICATION Memory not the Device Memory, dont you think? Device Memory got nothing to do with hour glass right? all the messages, and datas are stored in Application memory no?

is there any way i can have more application memory?

many thanks
    07-06-09 11:28 AM
    thanks a lot. I will give this a shot the next time i make an os change
    08-04-09 09:24 PM
    Right-o.
    This doesn't do jack for application memory.

ive followed your instruction and deleted the sample pictures but it doesnt add 5MB to Application Memory.. it might add some memory in the device memory BUT NOT the Application memory.. did you guys got additional 5MB (or less) in the application memory?

bcoz IMHO we strom users are looking for something that can add freemem in APPLICATION Memory not the Device Memory, dont you think? Device Memory got nothing to do with hour glass right? all the messages, and datas are stored in Application memory no?

is there any way i can have more application memory?

many thanks
    08-11-09 02:45 PM
    Sweet info. Thanks ya.
    08-13-09 02:13 AM
    I successfully deleted the wallpapers, videos, and most ringtones (i kept a couple). However, when I go to PROFILES to change my sound settings, the whole list of sample ringtones show up as items to select even thought 99% were deleted. Is there a way to have this reflect the true list?
    08-31-09 10:25 PM
    I tryed this but there is no system (100Mb?)
    10-29-09 12:14 PM
    This totally helped
    11-25-09 12:22 PM
    I tryed this but there is no system (100Mb?)
    in explore hit bb button > show hidden
    12-04-09 11:48 AM
    A mac and BDM for Mac?
    12-22-09 06:28 AM
    I deleted the sample pictures folder but did not gain any memory. According to a post I read in another forum, in OS 4.5.0.52 and higher OSs the preloaded wallpapers have been removed by RIM so they will no longer be found in the java folder. Deleting them does not gain any memory.
    12-23-09 02:36 PM
    There isn't a delete option when I show all for system to pop up...How do I NOT have a delete option?
    12-25-09 08:19 PM
    I deleted the sample pictures folder but did not gain any memory. According to a post I read in another forum, in OS 4.5.0.52 and higher OSs the preloaded wallpapers have been removed by RIM so they will no longer be found in the java folder. Deleting them does not gain any memory.
    You're incorrect about the RIM part of this. That was only done on OS4.5 for models that have less then 96MB of memory to save on the space, since even RIM realized they fugged up on the devices by not having enough memory in them. A good reason why a lot of 64MB devices don't have OS4.5 let alone anything higher for them. You also didn't gain any memory by deleting the "folder" because that's not what I said to delete in the OP. The cods in question is what get "extracted" to the system folder upon load and initial boot of the OS. What you need to accomplish is deleting the cod "prior" to loading of the OS. Once they extract, it's too late. It's deleting the cod that saves the space, not the actual pics themselves.

There isn't a delete option when I show all for system to pop up...How do I NOT have a delete option?
    You cannot delete files in the system folder using the built in file manager and cannot do this either in higher versions of OS5.x via 3rd party file manager either. Again, deleting the actual pics isn't what gives you the memory back, it's the cod files in question, but that must be done prior to the OS load in order to see the benefit of gaining space. I explained this in the OP.
    01-02-10 10:07 AM
    Thanks Civic for posting this. I wish I had seen this before loading .419.
    01-04-10 11:32 PM
    Thanks Civic for posting this. I wish I had seen this before loading .419.
    Me too :S I had flipped thru the different files looking for anything surplus to remove but was too scared to mess with any of it...
    01-11-10 09:07 PM
    OK, I've had to rewrite this post up because people just don't grasp the idea here, so I'm making it as basic and simple as possible.

1) Install the new OS exe on your PC.
    2) Go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\Your OS\Java Folder
    3) Delete net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod and net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod files.
    4) Load the OS onto your phone.

If you're just reloading the same version OS your phone once you've done this (after a wipe), be aware that the sample images may still remain on the phone, but the additional 5MB of space will be available to you. This is normal. The only correct way to make sure the images are gone is to change OS versions. Again, if no change in OS version happens, expect the pics to still be listed under Sample Images.
    thanks! only a question:
    what's net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod for?
    03-05-10 05:09 AM
    Don't go into pictures folder, just highlight it and you will see delete option.

These sample pictures are stored in System memory. Where you do

media>menu key>explore

you will see 3 folders

1) Media card (8G)
    2) Device memory (1G)
    3) System (100Mb?)
    I don't get option of system, only media card and device memory. Is there something wrong with my phone, or am I doing something wrong?
    07-01-10 09:02 PM
    Hmm can't delete the OEM pictures - I have been doing this a while never had issues before. Usually JLcmdr to wipe and shrink OS to delete and install OS (Telus 419). Tried filescout to delete off phone - no go. Also tried Bsak to wipe and shrink to install os still there.
    08-20-10 06:46 AM
250 ... 8910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD