OK here it is. Simple way to delete sample pictures.

media>menu key>explore>system>samples>pictures>menu key>delete

This will delete all the sample pictures.

When you go back to media>pictures you will see sample pictures folder but its empty now
    What do you do if delete is not an option after you click the menu key?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 12:07 AM
    whats a battery pull?
    01-15-09 01:39 AM
    whats a battery pull?
    Pull the battery out so it's no longer in the device.
    01-15-09 02:14 PM
    i do not understand why this is so hard to do. i just want to delete them and i cant. i have the crackmem, i select .86 i click on the image, then select it like i should. click on dm and then load .86. the pics are still there though. any help?
    01-17-09 10:15 AM
    Anyone else notice if you reload without net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod, you also loose your choice of folder colors when adding new folders?
    01-17-09 02:43 PM
    i do not understand why this is so hard to do. i just want to delete them and i cant. i have the crackmem, i select .86 i click on the image, then select it like i should. click on dm and then load .86. the pics are still there though. any help?
    This process seems to not work once the OS has already been installed. Are you disconnecting from the internet when in DM? This makes a difference if you do/dont.

My advice is to try this again once a new OS is out.
    01-17-09 03:36 PM
    What do you do if delete is not an option after you click the menu key?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is BS, if you ask me. The sample pictures are locked by the vendor and CANNOT be deleted within the device.

I have yet to read anyone else able to do this other than the poster.
    01-17-09 03:38 PM
    The only way I could get it to work was to delete the /system/samples folder in it's entirety manually. It seems I could not actually get a file wipe when trying to brick the phone with Crackmem, Crackutil or JL_CMDR proper.

I did notice however, after I successfully removed medialoader.cod I could no longer create folders and have the option of using the various colored folders. There was only the default folder style available.
    01-17-09 04:05 PM
    Can you add How To delete the Babylon AD preview video? That must eat memory!
    01-18-09 12:05 PM
    This is BS, if you ask me. The sample pictures are locked by the vendor and CANNOT be deleted within the device.

I have yet to read anyone else able to do this other than the poster.
    You have to remove the 2 360x480 files before you install the OS for the first time
    The Sample song and all the vads and help can go any time.

The pics themselves don't take up any memory room anyway.
    01-18-09 01:08 PM
    I did delete the file and once i go install the os on my phone, the wallpapers are still there
    01-22-09 04:32 PM
    Guys, I delete two files from the Java folder when I install my Storm OS.

net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod

and

net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod

When my phone comes up, the wallpapers are gone, but my folder icons and other junk are still in there. Sample Pictures folder is EMPTY (0) files.

I've done this with .75, .76, and .83. I've also just delted the cod with javaloader, but I don't know why you guys can't get that going... it worked fine for me. Rooster has even confirmed that deleting the cod out of the Java folder prior to OS load will delete the wallpapers, so again... I don't know why this is so difficult for you guys.

I deleted both of these files before installing the OS on my phone and I still have all the sample pictures after installing the OS, Does anyone know why?
    01-22-09 04:46 PM
    Dont go into pictures folder, just highlight it and you will see delete option.

These sample pictures are stored in System memory. Where you do

media>menu key>explore

you will see 3 flolders

1) Media card (8G)
    2) Device memory (1G)
    3) System (100Mb?)
    BE WARNED

Anyone who does this is going to get screwed. This main folder includes the default ringers too! The storm does not work like the pearl did, where you could delete the default ringers and after a battery pull the device remakes the ringer index file with whatever custom ringers are on the phone.

I decided to try this because I do not use any of the default blackberry ringers, so I was ok with them not on the phone. If you follow the steps above you will get all the sample crap off the phone BUT you will also loose the default ringers AND the ability to change your ringers.

I will say it again, if you do this you will no longer be able to go into the sound options and change anything having to do with ringers. If any of your ringers/alerts are set to a default BB tone, they will no longer work. Even if you are like me and use custom everything [ringers/alerts] you can no longer select a ringer/alert [custom or default] and can not even shave changes to a ringer/alert volume and vibrate. This includes the alarm clock!

The storm alerts & ringers work different then with other BB's. With my pearl had to set an alert/ringer for each profile [loud, normal, silent, etc] but with the storm it uses one set of sounds for all the profiles. Whatever you pick for one setting [loud, silent, etc] gets copied to the rest of the alert profiles. The other profiles have just have different volume & vibrate options. For whatever reason, this device does not recreate the sound index file once its gone from the phone like the pearl does. My guess is that this is related to this new way that the OS handles alert/ringer profiles in the storm.

After doing the above my phone rings/alerts just fine but if I ever want to change any of the alerts [including the alert for the alarm] I will now have to load a fresh copy of the os back onto the phone from BB Desktop.

If you have done the above you can test this by going to a profile and trying to change the ringer. The phone will not show the current ringer/alert (it will be blank) even if its a custom ringer still on the phones main internal memory. You can not save ANY changes, including just changing the volume or vibrate, as the phone will not let you hit "save". The popup comes up to save but hit it all you want, the popup will not go away and it will not save.

YOU ARE WARNED!

EDIT: I have fixed the issue! WOOT!

First off, if you have done the above, no longer have the default blackberry ringers on your phone, and want to use those default ringers, then you are screwed and have to reload the OS. Sorry.

BUT

If you are like me and do not use the default ringers, then you can do the above and not hose your phone. Delete the folder and then reset your phone. Connect to BB desktop and delete all your custom ringers off the device. Then use media manager to load your custom ringers back onto the phone into the folder called ringers on the BB. Unplug the phone from your PC when the copy has finished and then try and set your ringers. Worked for me!

For those who want to use the default BB ringers, restore your phone os with BB desktop, copy the default ringers to your hard drive or find them online with google. Then go through the steps above. I have a storm with no no sample pictures, sample movies, sample songs, or default ringers. My ringers show up in media under ringers [not music] and in sounds I can choose my ringers and now save them correctly as ringers/alerts!

Nice.
    Last edited by Thalinor; 01-23-09 at 12:19 PM.
    01-23-09 11:41 AM
    is there anything that can get into the system folder? theres an 18meg mp4 video in there id like to get rid of too.
    01-23-09 01:23 PM
    I deleted both of these files before installing the OS on my phone and I still have all the sample pictures after installing the OS, Does anyone know why?
    same for me too
    01-23-09 01:23 PM
    is there anything that can get into the system folder? theres an 18meg mp4 video in there id like to get rid of too.
    you won't get into the system folder, your best bet would be to run crackmem on your pc before you load the OS.
    This will relocate the files for you.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/
    01-23-09 01:51 PM
    BE WARNED

Anyone who does this is going to get screwed. This main folder includes the default ringers too! The storm does not work like the pearl did, where you could delete the default ringers and after a battery pull the device remakes the ringer index file with whatever custom ringers are on the phone.

I decided to try this because I do not use any of the default blackberry ringers, so I was ok with them not on the phone. If you follow the steps above you will get all the sample crap off the phone BUT you will also loose the default ringers AND the ability to change your ringers.

I will say it again, if you do this you will no longer be able to go into the sound options and change anything having to do with ringers. If any of your ringers/alerts are set to a default BB tone, they will no longer work. Even if you are like me and use custom everything [ringers/alerts] you can no longer select a ringer/alert [custom or default] and can not even shave changes to a ringer/alert volume and vibrate. This includes the alarm clock!

The storm alerts & ringers work different then with other BB's. With my pearl had to set an alert/ringer for each profile [loud, normal, silent, etc] but with the storm it uses one set of sounds for all the profiles. Whatever you pick for one setting [loud, silent, etc] gets copied to the rest of the alert profiles. The other profiles have just have different volume & vibrate options. For whatever reason, this device does not recreate the sound index file once its gone from the phone like the pearl does. My guess is that this is related to this new way that the OS handles alert/ringer profiles in the storm.

After doing the above my phone rings/alerts just fine but if I ever want to change any of the alerts [including the alert for the alarm] I will now have to load a fresh copy of the os back onto the phone from BB Desktop.

If you have done the above you can test this by going to a profile and trying to change the ringer. The phone will not show the current ringer/alert (it will be blank) even if its a custom ringer still on the phones main internal memory. You can not save ANY changes, including just changing the volume or vibrate, as the phone will not let you hit "save". The popup comes up to save but hit it all you want, the popup will not go away and it will not save.

YOU ARE WARNED!

EDIT: I have fixed the issue! WOOT!

First off, if you have done the above, no longer have the default blackberry ringers on your phone, and want to use those default ringers, then you are screwed and have to reload the OS. Sorry.

BUT

If you are like me and do not use the default ringers, then you can do the above and not hose your phone. Delete the folder and then reset your phone. Connect to BB desktop and delete all your custom ringers off the device. Then use media manager to load your custom ringers back onto the phone into the folder called ringers on the BB. Unplug the phone from your PC when the copy has finished and then try and set your ringers. Worked for me!

For those who want to use the default BB ringers, restore your phone os with BB desktop, copy the default ringers to your hard drive or find them online with google. Then go through the steps above. I have a storm with no no sample pictures, sample movies, sample songs, or default ringers. My ringers show up in media under ringers [not music] and in sounds I can choose my ringers and now save them correctly as ringers/alerts!

Nice.
    Well I did it! This was the easiest and I never used the stock ringtones anyway!

And now Godzilla and the ring tone from the hit tv show 24 rules the roost!

But. . . . . I'm a bit confused!

I stressed and stressed over doing it, I finally do it and I gained NOTHING!

I went in with 45MB and ended up with 46.1MB! WHAT THE HECK!

It's actually funny I guess, but where did my 5-10 MB go?

I did a softpull, emptied cache and cleaned the memory and the log.

Should I hang signs around my hood?
    01-23-09 09:53 PM
    Will this work? I can't believe it works but nobody has mentioned it:

To delete the 18 mb video trailer just go to the media player, click on videos, highlight "BabylonAD", click menu button, click delete. It doesn't appear to be locked like the wallpaper is.

I haven't tried this (mostly because I don't need the memory and I use that trailer to show off the video to others) but it seems like a very easy way to free up 18 mb.
    01-25-09 02:10 PM
    Will this work? I can't believe it works but nobody has mentioned it:

To delete the 18 mb video trailer just go to the media player, click on videos, highlight "BabylonAD", click menu button, click delete. It doesn't appear to be locked like the wallpaper is.

I haven't tried this (mostly because I don't need the memory and I use that trailer to show off the video to others) but it seems like a very easy way to free up 18 mb.
    Won't do anything... the video does not take up app memory. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    01-25-09 11:39 PM
    Won't do anything... the video does not take up app memory. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    Hmm, that's wierd. Its in the System folder. Same place as all sample wallpapers that take up app. memory.
    01-26-09 12:45 AM
    Delete the file net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod form your Storm with javaloader.exe. The file is 5MB large. A good gain. Or the next time you update your OS via DM, just go into the java folder of the OS load and rename this cod file to .bak or delete it if you don't want it loaded.

Oh, almost forgot. The command for javaloader.exe is

javaloader -u erase -f net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod

otherwise go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\Your OS\Java Folder
    There is no file called shared--can someone help
    01-28-09 12:04 PM
    There is no file called shared--can someone help
    Loader files>java is where you need to be, if there are not where you are, then my guess is you are not going common files in your drill down...
    01-28-09 05:57 PM
    I was able to delete everything in one shot.

clicked explore and highlighted system folder and delete. The system folder is still there along with the sub folders but are all completely empty.

Piece of pie!
    01-29-09 01:14 PM
    I was able to delete everything in one shot.

clicked explore and highlighted system folder and delete. The system folder is still there along with the sub folders but are all completely empty.

Piece of pie!
    are your ringtones still there?
    01-29-09 01:44 PM
    So going to install the .109 leaked OS tonight and I definitely want to try to free up some more memory by deleting the sample pics.
    Just to be sure, These are the steps I'm going to take:
    1. Downoad the new OS.
    2. Load the OS on the computer.
    3. Delete the net_rim_bb folder that has the OEM wallpapers.
    4. Disconnect from the internet (I use DM4.7).
    5. Plug in the BB and run AppLoader.exe

This sound correct?

Thanks.
    Roger
    Well went ahead with the process. I still see the OEM pics in the Sample Folder. Memory went from 36 to 40 on Fresh Start.
    I Deleted all the VAD's, Both of the wallpapers, VZNavigator, Flickr stuff, and the Vodaphone Cod. Its progress, but weird that the pics are still there even after a battery pull. Maybe one more for good measure.
    Thanks for all the tips.
    Last edited by rpparkster; 02-24-09 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Update
    02-23-09 11:51 PM
250 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD