Hey Pete quick question: What about the alx files that are still in the OS folder. The cods are not in java - but for instance I see VVM and wordmole alx. are still in the OS folder. Is it safe to delete them?

Also in the Java folder are the flickr and facebook help CODs. Are they safe to remove?
    I know for sure, help is and so is event log. I'm wondering about setup wizard.
    01-12-09 02:20 PM
    Ill give it one more try when I get home

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 02:23 PM
    Well I do't know about trusting someone named phone breaker - lmao. Kidding Thanks.

To confirm - IT IS SAFE to remove all the help.cod files from facebook and flikr and other aps I am deleting in the java folder.

And the flickr and facebook resource.cods?
    Last edited by 1magine; 01-12-09 at 02:31 PM.
    01-12-09 02:28 PM
    I'm using DM 4.7 and simply cannot get this to work.

I remove the three files to remove both sample images and sounds.

When I use crackutil to do a file listing, these files are definitely not there. Oddly enough, when I go to view the files I can see them.

Even if I do a wipe and then do a software update using DM, the files will still show up under my sample images.

What am I doing wrong? Also, I have disabled auto update and am not connected to the internet.
    Desktop Manager 4.7 has the ability to re-download missing files. You have to stop it doing this. There are three ways round it.

1). The best way, ditch DM 4.7 and use 4.6 wth no media manager
    2). unplug your internet connection before you start the upgrade process (but you still have the buggy DM 4.7)
    3). Do what John Clark outlines in my post you quited. Again you still have 4.7.

Do one of the above and the offending files will not re-appear.

The reason you cannot see the the files on you phone is that they are the BlackBerry equivalent of zip (or container) files. These files contain a number of other smaller files. It makes distribution easier. The big file is unbundled ON THE PHONE. This happens during that looong period when the phone does nothing during an OS upgrade. What ot is doing is integrating all the files it needs into the right places and unbundling these container .cod files.

Hope this is a bit clearer.

Keep asking and we will ultimately get there together. We all know little bits of the puzzle. Combining the bits into a bigger puzzle (sorry, complete picture - I meant to say) is what Crackberry is about.
    01-12-09 02:40 PM
    Well I do't know about trusting someone named phone breaker - lmao. Kidding Thanks.

To confirm - IT IS SAFE to remove all the help.cod files from facebook and flikr and other aps I am deleting in the java folder.

And the flickr and facebook resource.cods?
    fonebrkr's Ok in my book.
    01-12-09 02:41 PM
    Hey Pete quick question: What about the alx files that are still in the OS folder. The cods are not in java - but for instance I see VVM and wordmole alx. are still in the OS folder. Is it safe to delete them?

Also in the Java folder are the flickr and facebook help CODs. Are they safe to remove?
    Not much point if CrackMem has removed the COD file. The alx tells the phone what to do. The CODs are the program files so if they are gone, then the ALX files can't do anything.
    01-12-09 02:43 PM
    CrackMem appears to work on build .86!!!
    I went through the Java folder of .86 and programmed CrackMem to remove what I thought were sensible selctions. CrackBerry member branta helps me a lot with this. Remember that CrackMem supports all BlackBerry phones so I have to keep an eye on the OSs for all the phones. I can't afford to buy one of each and I certainly don't have the time to test every single OS release.

SOOOOoooo if you see something that you do not like or do not understand OR, you want a module removed, PLEASE do PM me. I try and release a new version once a month but I rely on CrackBerry members to help out with what they want in the program. I really limit what I include to file removals rather than major new features and I won't duplicate removals that DM can do. But that's it really. There's no magic about this. The program is there for you. I wrote it and I support it. It is free but I do accept beer money.

Unfortunately I also have to run my own IT repair company and occasionaly speak to Mrs. Pete6 (are you on bloody CrackBerry AGAIN!). Oh yeah, I need sleep too - a bit.
    01-12-09 02:52 PM
    I should say that I tend to stay out of the Storm forums because of the levels of abuse there. I hate that, and have a tendency to abuse my Mod powers and just ban people who get up my nose and this gets me in trouble with my fellow Mods as we have a procedure for this.

I will try and come here more often if you think that I can help.
    01-12-09 02:56 PM
    Not much point if CrackMem has removed the COD file. The alx tells the phone what to do. The CODs are the program files so if they are gone, then the ALX files can't do anything.
    Got it. Can I safely remove the resource.cod files for flickr and facebook? Do I need to (that is, will they do anything with the other cods gone?)

Beer you say? I think something can be arranged...
    01-12-09 02:56 PM
    I should say that I tend to stay out of the Storm forums because of the levels of abuse there. I hate that, and have a tendency to abuse my Mod powers and just ban people who get up my nose and this gets me in trouble with my fellow Mods as we have a procedure for this.

I will try and come here more often if you think that I can help.
    I find you to be very helpful. And I understand exactly how you feel. The Storm while another BB to many of us in the corporate world, is a totally other animal to others and has a large main stream appeal. Hence the difference between 8700 and 8800 forums and the 9500/9530 forums.
    01-12-09 03:00 PM
    Got it. Can I safely remove the resource.cod files for flickr and facebook? Do I need to (that is, will they do anything with the other cods gone?)

Beer you say? I think something can be arranged...
    Yes, you can. If you look at the CrackMem Help file there is a list in there of all the files I remove and which selection you need to make to remove it. Remember that CrackMem does not really delete stuff. It MOVES files to the Removed Files folder that it creates. That way you can examine them or even put them back. Cunning.

There are selections for the removal of Facebook and Flickr.

Check it out. The zip file is at the end of my first post in the CrackMem thread in my sig.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-12-09 at 04:02 PM.
    01-12-09 03:56 PM
    I find you to be very helpful. And I understand exactly how you feel. The Storm while another BB to many of us in the corporate world, is a totally other animal to others and has a large main stream appeal. Hence the difference between 8700 and 8800 forums and the 9500/9530 forums.
    I am 63 years old. BUT do no let that fool you. I still DJ for money and still run the monitor sound desk at reggae gigs.

What disapoints me is the lack of self respect. No respect for others is one thing it is the lack of self respect that worries me.
    01-12-09 03:59 PM
    Ummmmm, actually, sometimes it's bricker

Just use pete's crackmem, I hear tell it's working quite well on .86.
    01-12-09 04:04 PM
    01-13-09 11:45 AM
    Delete the file net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod form your Storm with javaloader.exe. The file is 5MB large. A good gain. Or the next time you update your OS via DM, just go into the java folder of the OS load and rename this cod file to .bak or delete it if you don't want it loaded.

Oh, almost forgot. The command for javaloader.exe is

javaloader -u erase -f net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod

otherwise go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\Your OS\Java Folder
    where do i type the command javaloader.exe
    01-13-09 03:17 PM
    Still trying to figure out how to get javaloader to work with my parrallels. I wonder if there is anyway to possibly delete the OEM pics w/ missing sync? Doubt it... One day someone will properly service us Apple fans.
    :-\ I guess I'll keep waiting..
    01-13-09 05:07 PM
    Can someone answer this?
    01-14-09 10:19 AM
    javaloader is a RIM utility that is delivered with the JVM development environment so you will not find it on your PC.

However javaloader is delivered with JL_Cmder and will be in the JL_Cmder folder.

You can also use CrackUtil which also is a front nd for javaloader but has a visual File Manager built in so you will not have to type the command. You just scroll to the file, select it and click the remove button. Also my program does not throw the removed file away. It saves it in the CrackUtil folder should you ever need it again.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-14-09 at 10:28 AM.
    01-14-09 10:25 AM
    Ok, I have read all there is to read and I looked into each folder in the sample folder.

I have come to the conclusion that I am ok with deleting the Sample folder.

I only use one ringtone and that's on the SD card.

So, am I over looking anything? Is it a safe delete?

thanks
    01-14-09 04:05 PM
    Ok i am really lost on this deleting wallpaper thing. I have my storm. i have .86 os on it. I down graded to .75. I wiped my phone using the button on crackmem. I pick the os .86. select the wall paper remove and the hit the button on the right on crackmem the says ok. i then go to dm" wich i have tried on 2 diffent pc one with 4.5 and one with 4.7" and load .86. the sample pics are still there. any help please it drives me crazy!!!!! i have alos made sure the internet is disconnected when i do this, have done abttery pulls also
    01-14-09 04:59 PM
    Ok, I have read all there is to read and I looked into each folder in the sample folder.

I have come to the conclusion that I am ok with deleting the Sample folder.

I only use one ringtone and that's on the SD card.

So, am I over looking anything? Is it a safe delete?

thanks
    Don't delete it, for the small amount of memory you gain, it's not worth the hassle.
    Basically, there are tones assigned for every alert and alarm, you would need to duplicate that with your one tone. It would also have to reside at least in the device memory if not the stores file on the device.

If you don't get it ALL the way right, you will either lock up whatever profile you are trying to use, (you wouldn't be able to go to vibrate, the profiles lock hard), or you would also be at risk of an endless boot loop because the OS is looking for a preassigned tone.

remove the event log, help, VAD, the wallpapers, the sample song, vznav, vvm,the facebook stuff, flicker and the other im stuff, there's a ton of stuff you could remove, just don't delete it till you know there are no repercussions.

BTW:
    stay away from setup wizard, it locks you out of the options menu.
    stay away from anything search related, it'll give you one of the oops bricked it errors, 503, 507, 505, something like that..
    01-14-09 07:22 PM
    Don't delete it, for the small amount of memory you gain, it's not worth the hassle.
    Basically, there are tones assigned for every alert and alarm, you would need to duplicate that with your one tone. It would also have to reside at least in the device memory if not the stores file on the device.

If you don't get it ALL the way right, you will either lock up whatever profile you are trying to use, (you wouldn't be able to go to vibrate, the profiles lock hard), or you would also be at risk of an endless boot loop because the OS is looking for a preassigned tone.

remove the event log, help, VAD, the wallpapers, the sample song, vznav, vvm,the facebook stuff, flicker and the other im stuff, there's a ton of stuff you could remove, just don't delete it till you know there are no repercussions.

BTW:
    stay away from setup wizard, it locks you out of the options menu.
    stay away from anything search related, it'll give you one of the oops bricked it errors, 503, 507, 505, something like that..

Ok then, thanks for explaining. Your right I didn't think of it that way.

Oh and thanks for being so cool with your reply!

James
    01-14-09 07:32 PM
    Ok then, thanks for explaining. Your right I didn't think of it that way.

Oh and thanks for being so cool with your reply!

James

NP, guess I shoulda thrown in, don't ask me how I know
    01-14-09 07:50 PM
    So here's a dumb question. Why is everyone trying to free the memory when there's plenty of memory left?
    01-14-09 09:31 PM
    I guess for me it was just I wanted to see what I had for sure to play with.

Your right James for most we have enough but if one person tries, succeeds, and posts it here, I guess everyone else wants to try it too.

I'm a little of both.

James
    01-14-09 10:59 PM
250 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD