No it is app memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hmm. Might mess with this for the next update then, saw someone post that it wasn't app mem so I ignored it last update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 11:58 PM
    i think its pretty absurd that u have to go thru all this the storm should be able to utilize free space on the sd card if mem is running low
    01-03-09 02:19 PM
    Wow, I re-read the 7 pages and don't have a definitive answer yet on how to do this.

Could the OP possibly edit his original thread with the correct up-to date instructions on how to do this? I realize that it was started as a well-intentioned thread, but I think it's deviated from a "how to" into a "how do I?".
    01-03-09 03:27 PM
    Wow, I re-read the 7 pages and don't have a definitive answer yet on how to do this.
    How To Remove Sample Media Files
    01-03-09 04:32 PM
    i think its pretty absurd that u have to go thru all this the storm should be able to utilize free space on the sd card if mem is running low
    I think someone pointed out why this was a problem (because its removable etc) and could cause errors if the card wasnt inserted etc.

Buttt...there is no excuse why there shouldnt be a little more memory...256 is all I'm asking for. Not sure if this is able to be fixed by an update or not. If not o well I can get by for 2 years till my next NE2 for the new storm or whatever is out then...dont really keep phones for longer then 2 years anyways.
    01-03-09 04:58 PM
    Yikes, so I need to reinstall the OS to do it? I'll just deal with them for now until I'm more familiar with the device.
    01-03-09 05:47 PM
    This has gone on for far too long and confusion reigns.

The BlackBerry OS is installed via a series of .cod files. Each contains one or more other files that may be of any type. These may be a music file or a program file or, lots of them within the same cod file. Just like zip files.

JRSCCivic98 suggests removing two files net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod and net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod. These two files contain multiple media files that are unbundled (unzipped) on the phone. Once this has happened the unbundled files cannot be removed as they are locked by the OS because it thinks it needs them.

The only way to avoid these files getting onto your phone then the two files above must be deleted BEFORE you install the OS on the phone. There are a number of ways to do this. The files are located on your PC in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OS-name\Java. You need to delete the two files from the Java folder prior to OS installation.

You can also use CrackMem which will find installed OSs on your phone and will MOVE the frequired files to a folder it creates called RemovedFiles. They are gone from the Java folder but may be PUT BACK if you wish. Obviously the unwanted files need to be absent from the Java folder during the OS install process.

There is a possible problem if you are running Desktop Manager 4.7 and are installing an official carrier released OS and have deleted the two files. DM 4.7 will try to put these files back under the conditions described above only. It does this because it knows that the OS needs the files and it will download them. The fix is to
    • disconnect your PC from the internet before you start to OS upgrade.
    • do not use DM 4.7
    • This is from John Clark
    So, you downloaded the newest, latest and greatest OS for your BlackBerry and have followed all the instructions found here.
    1. Download and install Desktop Manager.
    2. Download and install the OS of your choice for your device.
    3. Delete vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
    4. Plug in BB and open Desktop Manager.
    However, when you open Desktop Manager you get no prompt to update. When you open Application Loader your new OS is not listed!!
    This has been plaguing people for the last few months. I've never experienced the issue because of the way I've loaded Desktop Manager but Vasco at Horizon did and he and I together figured this out. I believe we've found the issue and will explain how to fix here.
    The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer (Vista users look in C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore.) So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "check for updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.
    To prevent this from happening this you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.
    1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
    3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
    4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:
    A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
    B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
    C) "Check for software updates."
    Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.

In summary, the two files MUST be deleted before you start the OS install process.
    Thee is no current way to remove the unwanted media files once they have been installed.

Last edited by Pete6; 01-03-09 at 06:19 PM.
    01-03-09 06:16 PM
    I don't understand why they locked the stuff that people would obviously want to delete.
    The OS thinks it needs these files. That is why they are locked.
    01-03-09 06:17 PM
    Great post Pete, thanks. I'll re-read it a few times to sink it in.

The OS thinks it needs these files. That is why they are locked.
    Well if we stepped it back once, why did they make the OS think it needs these files. That's more what I was getting at. I don't really expect an answer I guess, more of a "makes no sense" type of thing.
    01-03-09 06:23 PM
    This has gone on for far too long and confusion reigns....

....In summary, the two files MUST be deleted before you start the OS install process.
    Thee is no current way to remove the unwanted media files once they have been installed.

Thank you for posting this, Pete. Excellent information and instructions. It should serve to clarify this issue for everyone, especially the fact that for the latest OS, it must be done before the OS install.
    01-03-09 06:27 PM
    Great post Pete, thanks. I'll re-read it a few times to sink it in.

Well if we stepped it back once, why did they make the OS think it needs these files. That's more what I was getting at. I don't really expect an answer I guess, more of a "makes no sense" type of thing.
    The reason they locked the files is this.

If you use custom ringtones or wallpapers and they are kept on the Media Card and not in Device Memory (does the Storm copy them over automatically?) if you then happen to be in Mass Media Mode with the phone connected to your PC and the phone needs a ringtone it now has no access to the Media Card because the PC has control of it. What's a poor phone to do? Here's an incoming phone call, SMS, email, whatever and it has no available ringtone so, it uses one of its locked default tones.
    01-03-09 06:56 PM
    Thank you for posting this, Pete. Excellent information and instructions. It should serve to clarify this issue for everyone, especially the fact that for the latest OS, it must be done before the OS install.
    Actually this applies to installing ANY Storm OS.

The easiest way is just to use CrackMem. That's why I wrote it. I also update it regularly and if you want a particular file removed, just ask me and if its an OK file to remove, I'll put it into the next release. It's also free. Ohe yeah, please read the Help file. It took more time than the program and it contains USEFUL information.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-03-09 at 07:03 PM.
    01-03-09 07:01 PM
    I think someone pointed out why this was a problem (because its removable etc) and could cause errors if the card wasnt inserted etc.

Buttt...there is no excuse why there shouldnt be a little more memory...256 is all I'm asking for. Not sure if this is able to be fixed by an update or not. If not o well I can get by for 2 years till my next NE2 for the new storm or whatever is out then...dont really keep phones for longer then 2 years anyways.
    This is the issue, locking the wallpapers and ringtones, keeps the profiles from locking up down the road, when the system is looking for a basic file that doesn't exist.
    It should never be an issue, where you are so low on space that an extra 5m makes a difference. Memory is cheap, there's no reason why 500m of the 1g internal media memory couldn't be allocated to apps instead.
    01-03-09 07:14 PM
    Yikes, so I need to reinstall the OS to do it? I'll just deal with them for now until I'm more familiar with the device.
    If it was a pearl, this would be much more critical, but on the storms, it is best to wait until you're comfortable with an OS install, it's not that hard, but a lot can go wrong.
    01-03-09 07:19 PM
    This is the issue, locking the wallpapers and ringtones, keeps the profiles from locking up down the road, when the system is looking for a basic file that doesn't exist.
    It should never be an issue, where you are so low on space that an extra 5m makes a difference. Memory is cheap, there's no reason why 500m of the 1g internal media memory couldn't be allocated to apps instead.
    I agree completely. My 8900 has 256Mb of memory and I hope that this increase will be a trend that is followed in all RIM's future phones. The Bold has 1Gb but they crippled it by only giving the phone 128Mb of Device Memory. The rest is internal secure storage. I wonder if this could not be changed by furute versions of the OS.

I cannot understand why RIM did not give the Storm far more memory. 1 or 2 Gb would seem reasonable for a consumer phone today. Add to this a 32Gb microSD card (when we have them) as the phone starts to look like a usable device.
    01-04-09 04:18 AM
    I agree completely. My 8900 has 256Mb of memory and I hope that this increase will be a trend that is followed in all RIM's future phones. The Bold has 1Gb but they crippled it by only giving the phone 128Mb of Device Memory. The rest is internal secure storage. I wonder if this could not be changed by furute versions of the OS.

I cannot understand why RIM did not give the Storm far more memory. 1 or 2 Gb would seem reasonable for a consumer phone today. Add to this a 32Gb microSD card (when we have them) as the phone starts to look like a usable device.
    It would seem like something a decent developer could possibly do.
    The space is there already...
    an app that would let the user allocate internal memory..hmmmm
    01-04-09 07:53 AM
    It would seem like something a decent developer could possibly do.
    The space is there already...
    an app that would let the user allocate internal memory..hmmmm
    That would be nice if it is possible. I do not know the hardware architecture so what I am suggesting may be complete BS (if you now me the it would not be the 1st time).

What I am saying is the the phone could be designed in a way that the internal memory allocation is fixed in hardware and cannot be changed under software control. On the other hand, it might be a parameter buried in the OS that RIM can change with a single number. Who knows? Only RIM.
    01-04-09 07:59 AM
    That would be nice if it is possible. I do not know the hardware architecture so what I am suggesting may be complete BS (if you now me the it would not be the 1st time).

What I am saying is the the phone could be designed in a way that the internal memory allocation is fixed in hardware and cannot be changed under software control. On the other hand, it might be a parameter buried in the OS that RIM can change with a single number. Who knows? Only RIM.
    We may both be full of it, but what i'm saying is, when you delete either the ringers or stock wallpaper and leave the custom stuff on the card, you WILL eventually lock your profiles, but if you move it to the device memory OR the store memory, the profiles don't seem to lock, so somehow, it's either partitioned or piped. See what I mean?
    01-04-09 08:03 AM
    It's aazing that with the pull and popularity of Crackberry, that you guys don't have more access to RIM. This is their mistake.

PS Thanks again Pete for CrackMem.
    01-04-09 08:51 PM
    are there any other files to delete before the new OS install ?
    01-05-09 04:07 PM
    I'm using DM 4.7 and simply cannot get this to work.

I remove the three files to remove both sample images and sounds.

When I use crackutil to do a file listing, these files are definitely not there. Oddly enough, when I go to view the files I can see them.

Even if I do a wipe and then do a software update using DM, the files will still show up under my sample images.

What am I doing wrong? Also, I have disabled auto update and am not connected to the internet.

This has gone on for far too long and confusion reigns.

The BlackBerry OS is installed via a series of .cod files. Each contains one or more other files that may be of any type. These may be a music file or a program file or, lots of them within the same cod file. Just like zip files.

JRSCCivic98 suggests removing two files net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod and net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod. These two files contain multiple media files that are unbundled (unzipped) on the phone. Once this has happened the unbundled files cannot be removed as they are locked by the OS because it thinks it needs them.

The only way to avoid these files getting onto your phone then the two files above must be deleted BEFORE you install the OS on the phone. There are a number of ways to do this. The files are located on your PC in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OS-name\Java. You need to delete the two files from the Java folder prior to OS installation.

You can also use CrackMem which will find installed OSs on your phone and will MOVE the frequired files to a folder it creates called RemovedFiles. They are gone from the Java folder but may be PUT BACK if you wish. Obviously the unwanted files need to be absent from the Java folder during the OS install process.

There is a possible problem if you are running Desktop Manager 4.7 and are installing an official carrier released OS and have deleted the two files. DM 4.7 will try to put these files back under the conditions described above only. It does this because it knows that the OS needs the files and it will download them. The fix is to
    • disconnect your PC from the internet before you start to OS upgrade.
    • do not use DM 4.7
    • This is from John Clark
    So, you downloaded the newest, latest and greatest OS for your BlackBerry and have followed all the instructions found here.
    1. Download and install Desktop Manager.
    2. Download and install the OS of your choice for your device.
    3. Delete vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
    4. Plug in BB and open Desktop Manager.
    However, when you open Desktop Manager you get no prompt to update. When you open Application Loader your new OS is not listed!!
    This has been plaguing people for the last few months. I've never experienced the issue because of the way I've loaded Desktop Manager but Vasco at Horizon did and he and I together figured this out. I believe we've found the issue and will explain how to fix here.
    The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer (Vista users look in C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore.) So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "check for updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.
    To prevent this from happening this you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.
    1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
    2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
    3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
    4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:
    A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
    B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
    C) "Check for software updates."
    Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.

In summary, the two files MUST be deleted before you start the OS install process.

01-08-09 07:03 PM
    Sweet
    01-11-09 11:52 PM
    i was wondering to clear up more memory can all the cod files for flicker and facebook be deleted too from the java folder before the os is installed
    01-12-09 09:41 AM
    CrackMem appears to work on build .86!!!
    01-12-09 10:17 AM
    Hey Pete quick question: What about the alx files that are still in the OS folder. The cods are not in java - but for instance I see VVM and wordmole alx. are still in the OS folder. Is it safe to delete them?

Also in the Java folder are the flickr and facebook help CODs. Are they safe to remove?
    01-12-09 02:06 PM
250 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD