Unless Vista is that much different than XP, it's:

my computer > c: > program files > COMMON FILES > research in motion > shared > loader files.....

I'm gonna guess that your missing the common files, then the research in motion takes you to desktop manager.

BTW, I still haven't found just the pics either, the file that Civic references IS 5m, but it's not the wallpapers..
    Thanks fonebrkr, that's the first thing posted on this thread that has actually worked for me when I followed it. I found net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t and renamed it to .bak.

I think i'm gonna try deleting the system/samples folder now (which will delete all ringtones, etc...) then reinstall the OS. Maybe that's the magic step that's missing?
    11-29-08 12:35 PM
    Thanks fonebrkr, that's the first thing posted on this thread that has actually worked for me when I followed it. I found net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t and renamed it to .bak.

I think i'm gonna try deleting the system/samples folder now (which will delete all ringtones, etc...) then reinstall the OS. Maybe that's the magic step that's missing?

One thing I was considering, was getting the tune bundle zip file posted in the 8830 4.5 thread and renaming it and dropping it in here, maybe a seperate one will work..
    11-29-08 12:41 PM
    I deleted all my sample ringtones, pictures, alerts, etc... on my phone.
    Then I renamed the .Cod file and reinstalled the OS.

The sample pictures are still there.
    i'm gonna give up until someone has a 100% surefire way to do this easily... I've spent way too much time on this already, considering I start with over 40mb free.

Maybe if I needed the memory I'd try harder.
    11-29-08 07:34 PM
    Unless Vista is that much different than XP, it's:

my computer > c: > program files > COMMON FILES > research in motion > shared > loader files.....

I'm gonna guess that your missing the common files, then the research in motion takes you to desktop manager.

BTW, I still haven't found just the pics either, the file that Civic references IS 5m, but it's not the wallpapers..
    i cant find the shared one
    11-29-08 07:38 PM
    I deleted all my sample ringtones, pictures, alerts, etc... on my phone.
    Then I renamed the .Cod file and reinstalled the OS.

The sample pictures are still there.
    i'm gonna give up until someone has a 100% surefire way to do this easily... I've spent way too much time on this already, considering I start with over 40mb free.

Maybe if I needed the memory I'd try harder.
    If you get rid of VAD, you'll be close to 50,,,,,,,
    11-29-08 07:39 PM
    VAD... VAD... hmmm

I dont see voice dialing in my applications list to delete, either on the phone or in the desktop manager.

The icon is on my phone, though, and its hidden. gotta figure out how to delete it.
    11-29-08 08:31 PM
    VAD... VAD... hmmm

I dont see voice dialing in my applications list to delete, either on the phone or in the desktop manager.

The icon is on my phone, though, and its hidden. gotta figure out how to delete it.
    The files are in the OS that is now on your pc, towards the bottom in java, all have a vad in the name....there's 14 of them I believe, net_rim_vad_****.
    Just do NOT mess with help..505 error....
    11-29-08 08:57 PM
    I tried and this is what I got

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE Component Package 4.2.0\bin>javaloader -u erase -f net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod
    RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
    Copyright 2001-2006 Research In Motion Limited
    Connected
    Erasing net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t Error: invalid handle
    Disconnected
    11-30-08 06:46 PM
    12-03-08 09:17 PM
    OK, since I wrote this OP after I had sent my Storm back, I decided to do it again in person on my new Storm (yep, got another one) and let everyone know that it does work. Strange thing is that the pics still appear to be viewable in the Media Player, but removing the file from the device memory DOES indeed free up about 5MB of app memory. I can't explain why they are still on the phone even after the file is removed (maybe CX can shed some light on this), but you definitely get some space.

Easiest way to pull the file off if you need to make it dumb-proof, just install the latest OS version exe on your PC, go into the ProgramFiles/CommonFiles/RIM/Shared/Loader (blah blah blah/ and delete the files outlined in this writeup. Then plug the BB into the PC and launch DM. Start Application Loader and you'll see Application Core requiring an update. Update and DM will pull the file off for you so you don't have to know how to use javaloader to do it like in the OP. It'll reboot and when it comes back up, you now have 5MB more memory. Easy.
    12-14-08 09:09 PM
    can you put them on your media card instead? if you want to keep them but dont want the space wasted?
    12-14-08 09:34 PM
    There's no way to copy them with the onboard Explorer before you delete the file containing them. However, since they still seem to be available on the device even after deletion of the file, who cares... you'll still have them.

This is puzzeling me too...
    12-14-08 09:40 PM
    I tried and this is what I got

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE Component Package 4.2.0\bin>javaloader -u erase -f net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod
    RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
    Copyright 2001-2006 Research In Motion Limited
    Connected
    Erasing net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t Error: invalid handle
    Disconnected
    I get the same error and i don't see the file when i run

javaloader -usb dir

I don't see it in the directory.?
    12-14-08 11:12 PM
    The files are in the OS that is now on your pc, towards the bottom in java, all have a vad in the name....there's 14 of them I believe, net_rim_vad_****.
    Just do NOT mess with help..505 error....
    using either javaloader from the cmd window or crackutil I still only see 4 for VAD

Also, still getting the error i posted a few minutes ago concerning the .cod file suggested by the OP. The file doesn't seem to be in the directory. and ideas civic? I have run the command in the dos prompt and search the dir to no avail. Seems odd considering the wallpapers are on my phone though.
    12-14-08 11:27 PM
    There's no way to copy them with the onboard Explorer before you delete the file containing them. However, since they still seem to be available on the device even after deletion of the file, who cares... you'll still have them.

This is puzzeling me too...
    that is mega weird.
    12-14-08 11:46 PM
    using either javaloader from the cmd window or crackutil I still only see 4 for VAD

Also, still getting the error i posted a few minutes ago concerning the .cod file suggested by the OP. The file doesn't seem to be in the directory. and ideas civic? I have run the command in the dos prompt and search the dir to no avail. Seems odd considering the wallpapers are on my phone though.
    The VAD thing, the other poster probably didn't remove the other languages from the phone via AppLoader (doing it through the phone, doesn't delete all the language files). I had them on my phone as well until I removed the languages with AppLoader. (it's always been like this, even with my old 8830)

As for the wallpaper file, I dunno man, but I know for sure that mine was on the phone before I deleted it and after deleting it I did get my 5MB of free memory out of it. With deleting the additional languages and character files as well, I get about 51MB free after a reboot. Not horrible, but I want more. I likes the free memory. The more the betta. Only thing I can't figure out is why in the heck the pics are still on the internal memory. Heck, if the files are still there in some other fasion, that just means there should be even more room I could reclaim. RIM really should just load up all these silly pics on the storage memory as individual files instead of the app memory.
    12-15-08 12:00 AM
    OK, so I figured out what's up with the picture files not coming off the phone even after you delete the file. It seems that during the initial OS boot, the files are somehow saved on the phone. Don't know where, but if you delete the wallpaper cod file from the Java folder prior to loading a new OS on the phone, the sample pictures don't propagate on the device. Nice, huh?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 10:29 PM
    In the loader file there are 12 vad files and yes 8 are french and spanish.

I don't use any of the utilities, I go straight to the java folder, (the old John Clark way),
    it's always served me well and I can see all of the files this way.
    12-17-08 10:40 PM
    I too dumped the cod file from the java loader files and ran an is update straight from the apploader folder. Not only did the pix remain I seemed to have lost a meg!

Anyone try this with a clean install of an os

12-17-08 10:49 PM
    I too dumped the cod file from the java loader files and ran an is update straight from the apploader folder. Not only did the pix remain I seemed to have lost a meg!

Anyone try this with a clean install of an os

I did this before I loaded .76, my first boot freefile was 57+m
    So I can I obviously gained. My goal with a no wipe load of .75 was 50m and I never
    did make it.
    My ff after a reset now is only 47m, but i'm a major app wh0re
    12-17-08 10:58 PM
    I have over 60MB of free memory. I am going for 70MB. I will report back soon.

12-18-08 12:01 AM
    When i try to go into the command prompt using javaloader it just pops up a readme file. How do I actually enter the commad prompt once I'm inside the program?
    12-18-08 03:25 AM
    Delete the file net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod form your Storm with javaloader.exe. The file is 5MB large. A good gain. Or the next time you update your OS via DM, just go into the java folder of the OS load and rename this cod file to .bak or delete it if you don't want it loaded.

Oh, almost forgot. The command for javaloader.exe is

javaloader -u erase -f net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod
    So is it now confirmed that the above method no longer works, since the file "net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t. cod" does not exist on the Storm? (At least with OS .83)

I too have used the above javaloader command, and received also the "invalid handle" error message. Using javaloader -usb dir, it also confirms that "net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t. cod" does not exist. CrackUtil also shows no file by that name.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by priv8investig8r; 12-26-08 at 05:33 PM.
    12-26-08 05:31 PM
    So is it now confirmed that the above method no longer works, since the file "net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t. cod" does not exist on the Storm? (At least with OS .83)

I too have used the above javaloader command, and received also the "invalid handle" error message. Using javaloader -usb dir, it also confirms that "net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t. cod" does not exist. CrackUtil also shows no file by that name.

Thanks in advance.
    Yeah, that's not right dude. This cod file is most definitely still in OS.83 because I deleted it prior to installing the OS.

12-26-08 06:07 PM
    I have no doubt that it exists in .83. I'm referring to the fact that the file does not exist on
    the device for the Javaloader command to work. In other words, is it confirmed that the
    method In your original post will not work.

12-26-08 06:21 PM
250 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD