OK, I've had to rewrite this post up because people just don't grasp the idea here, so I'm making it as basic and simple as possible.

1) Install the new OS exe on your PC.
    2) Go to C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles\Your OS\Java Folder
    3) Delete net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod and net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod files.
    4) Load the OS onto your phone.

If you're just reloading the same version OS your phone once you've done this (after a wipe), be aware that the sample images may still remain on the phone, but the additional 5MB of space will be available to you. This is normal. The only correct way to make sure the images are gone is to change OS versions. Again, if no change in OS version happens, expect the pics to still be listed under Sample Images.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 06-30-09 at 04:11 PM.
    11-26-08 08:42 PM
    Will crack mem or other such apps work on the storm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 09:48 PM
    Where do you enter the command?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 09:52 PM
    Thanks cause I looked for that to delete when I took off VAD.
    11-26-08 10:13 PM
    So I tried this using DM. I never had a problem removing the junk from my Pearl. But I can't seem to remove them on the storm. I deleted the file from the java folder. DM told me it was removing the files. But when I go to the pictures/samples, they are still there.
    11-27-08 08:24 AM
    i dont have any wallpapers on mine, just the one verizon one. or atleast thats all that comes up when i try to load the wallpapers.

is there a filemanager on these phones?
    11-27-08 03:24 PM
    If you go to Media > Pictures, there should be a sample pictures folder with files that can be set as the wallpaper.
    11-27-08 03:58 PM
    Excellent... thanks Civic
    11-27-08 04:44 PM
    Can anyone please post step by step instructions? I am new to BB world.
    11-27-08 04:57 PM
    Yes, please enlighten us on how to enter commands.
    11-27-08 05:59 PM
    yes, i would like to know about this javaloader thing as well
    11-27-08 06:18 PM
    im very new to this can you do a walkthrough?
    11-27-08 06:18 PM
    JavaLoader returns an invalid handle error, so apparently it doesn't exist. I can't find the module under the handset's applications list either, but yet I still have sample pictures. Your phone had that .cod file on it? What platform is your phone running?
    11-27-08 06:21 PM
    and if we are on a mac?
    11-27-08 07:54 PM
    So I tried this using DM. I never had a problem removing the junk from my Pearl. But I can't seem to remove them on the storm. I deleted the file from the java folder. DM told me it was removing the files. But when I go to the pictures/samples, they are still there.
    Do a battery pull afterwards. That should clear the media cache for the files.

JavaLoader returns an invalid handle error, so apparently it doesn't exist. I can't find the module under the handset's applications list either, but yet I still have sample pictures. Your phone had that .cod file on it? What platform is your phone running?
    I would do a javaloader -u dir and check that it's not there. Also, make sure you specify the .cod extension on the delete command. Dropping that off will cause the filename not to match up since javaloader wants an exact filename.

and if we are on a mac?
    You're screwed because you can't use javaloader without a DOS prompt. You could always run Windows in Parallels and do it that way.

For everyone else, the FAQ section of the CB forums has instructions on how to use javaloader and other BB utils to accomplish this type of stuff. I suggest spending a bit of time reading through those threads because if you don't know how to do this... you're probably not ready to try to do it.
    11-27-08 09:41 PM
    For everyone else, the FAQ section of the CB forums has instructions on how to use javaloader and other BB utils to accomplish this type of stuff. I suggest spending a bit of time reading through those threads because if you don't know how to do this... you're probably not ready to try to do it.
    Yep. that's how berries get bricked.
    11-27-08 10:01 PM
    Yep. that's how berries get bricked.
    Exactly.... but in reality, you can't brick a BB, not with what's easily available to the average user. They just freak out when they see a 507 error and come here screaming for help.
    11-27-08 10:10 PM
    Exactly.... but in reality, you can't brick a BB, not with what's easily available to the average user. They just freak out when they see a 507 error and come here screaming for help.
    Haha yea, very true. I've read/seen some pretty good panic attacks.
    11-27-08 10:29 PM
    I deleted the wallpaper .cod, all the vad's and vz nav cod, backed em all up in a file like the old john clark way, removed file ended up with 10.4m.
    Scanning through real quick, I didn't see any other themes or cr@p the doesn't show.

I'm still way too chicken for javaloader....

Thanks civic...
    11-27-08 11:21 PM
    I would do a javaloader -u dir and check that it's not there. Also, make sure you specify the .cod extension on the delete command. Dropping that off will cause the filename not to match up since javaloader wants an exact filename.
    I ran that, output it to a text file, and searched... nothing there.
    Anything else it might be called?
    Also, the biggest file I can find is net_rim_theme_precision_zen_360x480_t
    But I'm not about to delete the only theme i have.
    11-27-08 11:30 PM
    OK here it is. Simple way to delete sample pictures.

media>menu key>explore>system>samples>pictures>menu key>delete

This will delete all the sample pictures.

When you go back to media>pictures you will see sample pictures folder but its empty now
    11-28-08 02:09 AM
    is this file stored in RAM for some reason? Wouldnt it be stored in the 1GB of onboard storage?

If its in the 1GB i am gonna keep it. but if its ram, i think thats crazy and will delete it.

Also, what else goes in RAM and storage? what do you have 1gb of storage for if it doesnt store pictures and email there?
    11-28-08 02:14 AM
    OK here it is. Simple way to delete sample pictures.

media>menu key>explore>system>samples>pictures>menu key>delete

This will delete all the sample pictures.

When you go back to media>pictures you will see sample pictures folder but its empty now
    Doesn't work, there is no delete option.
    11-28-08 02:14 AM
    Doesn't work, there is no delete option.
    Dont go into pictures folder, just highlight it and you will see delete option.

These sample pictures are stored in System memory. Where you do

media>menu key>explore

you will see 3 flolders

1) Media card (8G)
    2) Device memory (1G)
    3) System (100Mb?)
    11-28-08 02:51 AM
    is this file stored in RAM for some reason? Wouldnt it be stored in the 1GB of onboard storage?

If its in the 1GB i am gonna keep it. but if its ram, i think thats crazy and will delete it.

Also, what else goes in RAM and storage? what do you have 1gb of storage for if it doesnt store pictures and email there?
    That's what I was thinking to?
    11-28-08 06:48 AM
250 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD