Is anyone else having trouble finding a dedicated car mount for their 9700?
    All the cradles advertised as for 9700 suffer from at least one of the following:
    1. they aren't really for the 9700, but generic to fit all models
    2. they don't charge through the cradle to the contacts at the sides near the bottom of your handset (you have to manually plug a car charger into the phone)
    3. they cost a lot (THB Bury is around �60 - �70 in the uk).

I'm thinking of customising my own car mount/charger by sticking a chrome mains charging pod to the dashboard, with a car charger plugged into it.

Would appreciate any recommendations as to how people have solved their car mount requirements (i.e. any products which solve all three problems above?)
    03-03-10 07:58 AM
    Take a look at this: Blackberry Source.com - Powered in Car Cradle for BlackBerry Bold 9700 I just got mine yesterday, so I've only had one day of use, but so far it's pretty much what I hoped it would be. I like that I can move it between vehicles easily, although I'm tempted to buy another one and mount it permanently to my existing pro-mount from an old car kit I had.

I, too, had trouble finding dedicated car cradles with charging, so I was pretty happy when I found this.
    03-03-10 08:20 PM
    Personally I've found that since installing a Parrot bluetooth kit I don't need to have the phone mounted. The voice activation works particularly well with blackberry.

This one if you're interested Parrot: Bluetooth Car Kits: Parrot CK3100 Advanced Bluetooth Car Kit (Black Edition): Description

I had a better price than above though.
    03-04-10 03:04 AM
    Thanks for the ideas. I really like the mount part of the blackberry source product � it looks perfect, except that I was really counting on it being a windscreen sucker rather than a cigar lighter affair. I hope they can bring this out with a windscreen option. This looks like the only solution I have seen where the cradle clamps the device in a way which allows charging without using the jack, proving it is at least possible with this model of handset, and thus keeping alive my hope that someone will soon sell a windscreen mount with this design.
    The bluetooth idea doesn�t really work for me because part of my requirement is to view the screen without having to hold the handset in my hand (for sat nav and speed cameras etc.).
    03-04-10 04:22 AM
    Here's a link to the company website that manufactures the unit I bought: https://www.smoothtalker.com/product...ackberry-9700/ There are some other options for cradles that can be mounted in other ways. If you can find a windshield mount only you should be good to go. Somebody will have that I'm sure.
    03-04-10 06:10 AM
    Thanks tschlaef, looks like they have a dash bolt on version, or cigar lighter, but no windscreen option. I'm not sure they ship to the UK either but that might not be a problem. I'll keep looking for a bit and may come back to this one.
    03-04-10 06:39 AM
    It's funny, I asked a very similar question yesterday http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...54#post4775854.

I like the idea of the car cradles listed, but I'm looking for a windshield mount, not something that charges, but like the OP said, something for the 9700, not the generic cell phone mounts shown in the crackberry store.

Edit: I'm looking for something like this:

Blackberry Source.com - iGRIP PerfektFit BlackBerry Tour Holder
    Blackberry Source.com - iGRIP PerfektFit BlackBerry Curve 8900 Holder
    Last edited by ka3yan; 03-04-10 at 09:01 AM. Reason: clarifying info
    03-04-10 08:35 AM
    Thanks tschlaef, looks like they have a dash bolt on version, or cigar lighter, but no windscreen option. I'm not sure they ship to the UK either but that might not be a problem. I'll keep looking for a bit and may come back to this one.
    You may need to buy something like this: ProClip Mounting System - ProClip Other Holders - Travel Mount and get the dash mount holder and attach it to the windshield mount.
    03-04-10 06:36 PM
    It's funny, I asked a very similar question yesterday http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...54#post4775854.

I like the idea of the car cradles listed, but I'm looking for a windshield mount, not something that charges, but like the OP said, something for the 9700, not the generic cell phone mounts shown in the crackberry store.

Edit: I'm looking for something like this:

Blackberry Source.com - iGRIP PerfektFit BlackBerry Tour Holder
    Blackberry Source.com - iGRIP PerfektFit BlackBerry Curve 8900 Holder
    Shouldn't be a problem to use the 8900 cradle, as the 9700 is pretty much identical in dimensio
    03-04-10 09:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD