Hey all,

I have been looking at a cradle for my Blackberry Bold.
    I feel like I've been spending a lot of money lately so I'm debating, I did find a cradle for $12 on NewEgg so that's pretty good. Can people tell me what the benefits are? Any cons? I'm just wondering if I NEED it

I've checked out a few threads already but if anyone has any other input I'd love to hear all feedback

Thanks guys!
    09-08-09 08:49 PM
    Its all pro. Saves the wear and tear on the USB port. I have one myself. Also it doubles as a bedside clock.
    09-08-09 08:52 PM
    Cons, I have found that after extended cradle use I get poor battery life and have to go back to usb port charging for a couple of days to restore.
    09-08-09 08:58 PM
    I use this one.

It saves wear and tear on the USB port, allows the use of the Blackberry as a clock, and is really convenient.

There is nothing I do not like about it.
    09-08-09 08:58 PM
    Cons, I have found that after extended cradle use I get poor battery life and have to go back to usb port charging for a couple of days to restore.
    Are you sure the Blackberry is seated in so it is charging? If it is not lined up it won't charge. If you see the clock it means it is charging, but if the screen just goes dim it is not.

You might just need to wiggle it a bit until you see the clock.
    09-08-09 09:02 PM
    I've been thinking about getting one...it just looks really slick sitting on a dresser or something.

Edit: I guess you can count this as a PRO

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 09:20 PM
    Its all pro. Saves the wear and tear on the USB port. I have one myself. Also it doubles as a bedside clock.
    Totally agree here. It's just great, great clock/alarm, looks cool and definitely saves the wear and tear on the usb. Don't want to mess around with that much.
    09-08-09 09:39 PM
    Got it. Love it. Recommend it. As was said before, saves wear and tear on the USB port. And as for charging any differently from the USB - it's identical. Remember, these pods do not have their own electrical plugs - they have the same female USB port as is on the BB, so you can plug into it using either the AC adapter or USB cable to a port on the computer (although if you do use the computer USB port, it will trickle charge at a slower charging speed than AC, but will not be connected to the PC for BB Desktop Manager or external data transfer).
    I did get mine through Amazon, but not through the BlueHarborOnline store the PP used (I found very unpleasant reports on resellerratings.com for BHO, so picked a different Amazon vendor (Eforcity) with high ratings that delivered it for $9.16, plus S&H plus tax = $13.20. in my hands in 3 days (they are based in Southern CA and so am I).
    09-08-09 09:42 PM
    Pro - I have one at home on the bedstand for overnight charging and one at work on my desk if I ever need it. Got them through Amazon at a really good price. They're substantialy built and work well. This is how I charge my Bold now.

Con - can't think of any
    09-08-09 09:55 PM
    Every one here has pretty much summed it up already. Even with the cons (not making contact unless you place the phone properly in the cradle to make contact). How ever, there is one CON I have yet to see that I've experienced with the charging cradle. The chrome/silver plating has rubbed away on the bottom of the frame (one right by the speaker hole and the other next to the hand-tether hole and one right below the AT&T branding). They all came from wear and tear from placing the phone back and forth into the cradle.

I will come back later and try to edit this post with some pics so you can see for yourselves.

I've been thinking about buying a new frame (but I don't want to buy from CNN) and I've also thought about sanding all cheap plating away to have a clean black look (anyone else see that thread?).
    09-08-09 10:13 PM
    The OEM charging cradle is the one to get for sure. Only con is that it doesnt sync, but, not a big deal considering all the pros.
    09-09-09 01:17 AM
    At $12 @ NewEgg, I picked up two, one for home and one for the office. There are no cons, it's all win...

09-09-09 01:52 AM
    I have 2 also....one for home and one for work
    09-09-09 03:11 AM
    Ditto. One at home and one at work.

09-09-09 06:24 AM
    Every one here has pretty much summed it up already. Even with the cons (not making contact unless you place the phone properly in the cradle to make contact). How ever, there is one CON I have yet to see that I've experienced with the charging cradle. The chrome/silver plating has rubbed away on the bottom of the frame (one right by the speaker hole and the other next to the hand-tether hole and one right below the AT&T branding). They all came from wear and tear from placing the phone back and forth into the cradle.

I will come back later and try to edit this post with some pics so you can see for yourselves.

I've been thinking about buying a new frame (but I don't want to buy from CNN) and I've also thought about sanding all cheap plating away to have a clean black look (anyone else see that thread?).
    I have the OEM Charging Cradle, both at home and at the office, and have been using them for the last 10 months. I have the CNN supplied parts to completely black out my Bold - and have no wear showing anywhere on the Bold. As soon as I walk in to the office in the morning my Bold goes into the cradle, so I'm a pretty heavy duty cradle user and no wear showing.

And I agree with all the PROs listed. No CONs from this corner.
    09-09-09 08:08 AM
    I'll let you know today when mine comes!
    09-09-09 08:17 AM
    I've got three of the OEM cradles: one on my night stand, one beside my recliner in the family room, and one I keep in my briefcase for when I travel.

But I also have this thing that I use at work.

I like it because it is a cradle that both charges and syncs. I posted about it back in May here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/any...radles-224329/. Feel free to read my detailed comments and review there.

After four months, I have to say it's working just fine...no complaints.
    09-09-09 08:25 AM
    cons-
    -not compatible with any kind of case/skin
    -my charging contacts are now copper colored
    -Mine is fine, I just drop it in and it charges but many others say they have to adjust and double check to make sure it is charging so check that out when you get it.

Pros
    It just works-
    Convenient
    the oem dock is attractive
    Last edited by Teek; 09-09-09 at 10:40 AM. Reason: dammn spellcheck
    09-09-09 09:06 AM
    I keep forgetting about Newegg. I got mine on ebay $17.
    09-09-09 09:08 AM
    No cons
    all pros

looks good, it's firm and steady
    and it's a bedside clock too eh
    09-09-09 10:28 AM
    Pro - recharges your BB well. I've never had a problem with the contacts on mine. I have the OEM cradle.

Cons- the OEM cradle has a white LED on the back that always shines. When you put the BB in the clock comes on and the keyboard lights up. Too much light to have in my bedrom at night.
    09-09-09 10:41 AM
    $6 on Amazon. love it! just got it on Friday!
    09-09-09 11:19 AM

Hey Working Class Hero!
    That's too bad I haven't heard of that one yet! I hope you are able to fix it
    09-09-09 08:30 PM
    Thanks everyone!
    You're all very helpful, I appreciate all the great replies
    Loved to see some photos if anyone has any of their awesome cradles
    09-09-09 08:31 PM

Sorry no picture with Berry in it, cause I took the picture with my Berry.
    09-09-09 08:43 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD