As for the BB 8830 which has no video camera this may have issues with video playback. But as for any other BB Curve/Pearl with 4.2+ OS, there are no problems converting and playing videos on them. Period.
    Not true.
    Your myth has been BUSTED.

PERIOD....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/rim...oftware-61591/

Dm
    08-14-08 09:29 AM
    I originally had *.3gp movies playing just fine on my VZW 8830 with OS 4.2.2.196

I "upgraded" to 4.5.0.51 yesterday and the same videos don't play now.

I went through phantomsphan guide and though the *.mp4 files are about twice as large at least they play!

Thank you phantomsphan!
    Same issue here with Sprint 8130 with the MTS 4.5 OS...
    All of the videos I have on the phone that are in 3gp DO NOT PLAY.
    All of the videos I have on the phone that are in mp4 DO PLAY.

I go back to 4.3 and ALL mp4 and 3gp videos play fine.

Looks like I'll be sticking with 4.3...

Dm
    08-14-08 09:35 AM
    I'm at 4.5 and just converted all my previously playing *.3gp videos to *.mp4 and now they play, but geez do they take up space!
    My 4.2.2.196 played *.3gp with no issues. :-/
    08-14-08 01:00 PM
    I'm at 4.5 and just converted all my previously playing *.3gp videos to *.mp4 and now they play, but geez do they take up space!
    My 4.2.2.196 played *.3gp with no issues. :-/
    Yikes, thats what I'm afraid of having to do...
    Strangely, the files that I've converted to MP4 seem to take up less space.

The 3gp version of Hancock is 295,562
    The MP4 version of Hancock is 285,881

Dm
    08-14-08 02:14 PM
    Smaller in size? Check your frames, the mp4 goes up due to higher the frames higher the quality of the video. If you're ok with the quality then congrats, you get mp4 and smaller file sizes!
    08-14-08 02:46 PM
    There was no difference in quality.

Dm
    08-18-08 02:38 PM
    The program that the OP put on here states that after you convert your videos it says only 60% of video will be converted while on trial version. Not completely free.....

yet I dont see a place to purchase the program.
    08-27-08 09:15 PM
    Yikes, thats what I'm afraid of having to do...
    Strangely, the files that I've converted to MP4 seem to take up less space.

The 3gp version of Hancock is 295,562
    The MP4 version of Hancock is 285,881

Dm
    Detman, Dude I can have the 3GP Movie Hancock?
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 08-27-08 at 11:51 PM.
    08-27-08 11:46 PM
    The program that the OP put on here states that after you convert your videos it says only 60% of video will be converted while on trial version. Not completely free.....

yet I dont see a place to purchase the program.
    What program are you referring to? AVIDemux is completely freeware.
    08-28-08 05:02 AM
    So this explains why I can't watch videos on my Verizon pearl

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-08 09:38 AM
    Detman, Dude I can have the 3GP Movie Hancock?
    Sure, you should have pm'ed me.
    i could have had this to you the same day.

Send me a private message if you still want this and I'll pm you back a link to my hosted file.

Dm
    09-03-08 10:59 AM
    So this explains why I can't watch videos on my Verizon pearl
    Most likely I guess. If you used another 3rd party tool, it probably used codecs that Verizon won't play. I should update my link to say it works for Pearls too. Try my guide and see how it works for you and let me know.
    09-03-08 05:08 PM
    Thank you for the info in this thread! I just used your method to convert the new Metallica video, "Day That Never Comes", and it worked flawlessly! Next up will be to try a full movie.

The video, if there are any Metallica fans out there, is available for download if you sign up on the missionmetallica.com website. New album on the 12th!
    09-04-08 03:03 PM
    Thank you for the info in this thread! I just used your method to convert the new Metallica video, "Day That Never Comes", and it worked flawlessly! Next up will be to try a full movie.

The video, if there are any Metallica fans out there, is available for download if you sign up on the missionmetallica.com website. New album on the 12th!
    Thanks for the feedback, its very much appreciated. Glad it worked out for you.
    09-04-08 03:33 PM
    "The Simpsons Movie" is a success as well! This process works great
    09-04-08 10:29 PM
    Yea man thanks for all the info. I just watched the dark knight.. boy do i love that flick...
    09-27-08 09:18 AM
    Most likely I guess. If you used another 3rd party tool, it probably used codecs that Verizon won't play. I should update my link to say it works for Pearls too. Try my guide and see how it works for you and let me know.
    Very good step by step article. But I have a question. I have a movie dvd in my disk drive and when I opened it there where many files but there were three different types VOP, BUP, and IFO. My question is do I convert all of them or which ones. Also another question there was a audio TS folder there but when i opened it up it was empty, why ? Are the audio files attached to the video files. I have always seen this in the past and could never find a answer. How do i remove the spoken words that are in text from the converison. Thanks in advance. Terry
    10-16-08 10:16 AM
    VOB files are the only files that contain the video on your DVD. However, you can't just start converting the VOB files sitting on the disc. #1 they are encrypted and #2 they are split up into 1 gig increments (usually). You need to download a program like DVD Decrypter or a similar program (search Google) and rip the main movie to a single VOB file. You will most likely have to change the settings of your ripper to do this, but it shouldn't be hard to find. Once you have a single VOB to work with, you can load it up into AVIDemux or whatever converting software you want to use and be able to work with it easily.
    10-17-08 08:29 AM
    phantomsphan
    Thanks for the guide and the heads up on avidemux. I'd much rather have a fully-featured free utility - especially if it's open source - than a dedicated use tool specifically for the bb. As you say, you have the opportunity to apply different codecs and filters etc, learning about video encoding as you go...
    Nice one!
    10-25-08 09:02 AM
    Ok, I followed the guide for Avidemux to convert a 700mb wide screen dvd rip to use on my 8130 and it worked great. Now I'm trying to convert a video that is 320x240 and no matter what I do there is no way to make it go full screen. The play bar stays and when I hit the menu key I only see three options. In fact have to use the mute/pause key to pause and unpause for the trackball to even be responsive. What am I doing wrong? If I wish to make no changes to cropping what is the best option to use to resize for a file that is not wide screen?
    11-09-08 05:30 PM
    If you have a file that is already 320x240, don't go into filters and set any resize or cropping settings. Just set the main settings (audio and video codec, bit rate and container) and convert it. Since it's already 320x240, you don't need to do any of that other stuff.
    11-10-08 01:52 PM
    Thanks for the guide phantomsphan, works like a charm and looks great too.
    11-17-08 09:38 AM
    Hey tx_dbs_tx, I just had the media manager open like you described & I couldn't convert one of the movies I selected. Am I missing something?
    12-17-08 08:29 PM
    This happens if your computer is missing the proper video codec for the movie file that you are trying to convert. I have had this happen to me with certain mpeg video files. Try download a video "codec pack" and installing it on your system. The codec packs contain almost all codecs you will ever need. If this doesn't work you will need a third party video conversion software to convert the problem video into a format such as avi or divx, etc so that desktop manager's media app can properly detect and convert the video. This is what I have had to do in the past. I will highly recommend aplus video converter software. Go to tomp4.com and check out what software they have. It's extremely fast video converting software and the converted video quality is excellent. I use it on a regular basis and it is great. Hope this helps. Post back with update.
    Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 12-17-08 at 08:53 PM.
    12-17-08 08:44 PM
    imma give this program a try, w.e to get rid of the god dam widescreen, widescreen is not meant for backberry
    Last edited by jayrezny; 12-18-08 at 12:09 AM.
    12-17-08 11:22 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD