Oh, I only prefer to watch in widescreen. But I find the added HD qaulity that fab adds to handbrake is superb to anything that I have tried. I'll give AVID a try, thanks.
    I see you have a Storm, so widescreen probably looks alot better for you. On the Curve its just too small IMO. That's why I like making it 320x224... fills the screen but still gives you a little of the widescreen feel. Make sure if you do use avidemux, resize it down to 480xwhatever and not 320. I think 480x360 is what the Storm uses isn't it?
    06-20-09 10:57 AM
    I think 480x360 is what the Storm uses isn't it?
    Yep. I was a former Treo user, I still watched my movies in widescreen on that phone believe it or not. I switched to the Curve last week to see if I liked it better (for work) and watched them on the device. I am movie geek and no matter what, I do not enjoy full screen movies. Just too much cut out of the picture.
    06-20-09 12:31 PM
    really, phone settings differ by phone, so best bet is convert with BB then either use a program to see specs of video or repeat conversions and move back on PC
    /Done!
    06-20-09 09:43 PM
    really, phone settings differ by phone, so best bet is convert with BB then either use a program to see specs of video or repeat conversions and move back on PC
    /Done!
    Correct. You could use your providers Desktop Manager and Roxio to convert a file and then use a program like Gspot to see what codecs it uses. Then you can either use AVIDemux, or another program that uses those codecs, to convert your videos and forget about Roxio. That's how I learned what settings I needed to use in AVIDemux to convert a video to play on my Verizon Curve.
    06-20-09 10:14 PM
    why can't i drag and drop mp4 movie files to my curve 8330?? And how can I convert them to a proper format? Like the format that my videos that are recorded from my phone are in?? PLEASE HELP!!
    06-29-09 12:36 AM
    why can't i drag and drop mp4 movie files to my curve 8330??
    Most likely they are either not the correct resolution (320x240 or less) or do not use codecs that your device supports. MP4 is just a container, what's inside it is what matters.

And how can I convert them to a proper format?
    I would first look at my post in this thread and try that method and see how it works for you.
    06-29-09 08:01 AM
    Just downloaded "Avidemux" courtesy of "phantomsphan" and converted "Highlander", one of the greatest movies ever. It was downloaded "pre-converted" from another thread on this site and wouldn't play on my VZW 8330. 12 minutes later, I was in business! Thanks phantomsphan!
    Last edited by Dr_Strangelove; 06-29-09 at 09:57 PM.
    06-29-09 09:54 PM
    i see that this thread is mainly about local playback, but does anyone have WORKING mp4 or 3gp settings for streaming playback? i've run into "entity too large" or "unsupported file format" many times. i've tried files as small as 3mb, different codecs (h263/h264, sorenson mpeg4 pro and a handful of others) but can't seem to get ANYTHING to playback via streaming. can anyone help!? please?!? =(
    09-03-09 06:13 PM
    Hello, I have a few questions about your guide on video conversion to mp4. I followed your guide with the programs and size settings stated. converted the file and transfered it to my BB 8310. When i tried to open the file the video was jumpy like there wasnt enough memory to run the video and there was no sound at all. When i run it on my computer it runs fine. Any suggestions?
    09-10-09 10:08 AM
    this post was the sh#t!
    tried 5-7 other things reccomended and nothing worked.
    This worked great!

Thanks dude (or dudette).

12-02-09 11:24 PM
    Phantom rules!

Thanks!

I can even create a curve to lift blacks which are crushed like **** by this 8830 screen and save it!!! You can Crop top and bottom making it a multiple of 16 or render it full, set bit rate, EVERYTHING!!!!!

THIS IS THE PRO APP.. hehe... well, if you want pro quality and know how to do pro work this is the app that will let you manipulate your work as you may. Now I can show my stuff to people and know I have it maximized to look as good as it possibly could.

BAD-ARSE!

Phantom, just ignore the haters. Let them use whatever the heck they want and whine if they feel threatened. You da man!
    12-25-09 08:26 AM
    On a side note, I have tried making several 320 x 180's from a 960 x 540 video and though they look great in Quicklime they get the last row or two stretched out about 20 pixels tall in the bottom of the video in the phone... ???

Well... I guess I'll have to pick between a 12 pixel crop or a ~2% vertical squeeze.

I tried lowering the bit-rate from 800 to 700 in case it was the weight of the file and the phone crapping out from it but nothing... not sure if I'll try much lower.

Again, thanks Phantom!
    12-25-09 08:35 AM
    Windows Movie Maker doesn't let me put videos from my digi cam because it's in the wrong format so what converter can I use?
    I want one that's pretty decent quality, doesn't cost anything, doesn't stick the logo on my videos and it converts all of the video, not just half of it.
    I used to have prism something but then my trial run ran out so yeah, I can't use that >.<
    And zamzar has a limit of 100MB :l

Help please?
    01-27-10 08:04 AM
    Windows Movie Maker doesn't let me put videos from my digi cam because it's in the wrong format so what converter can I use?
    I want one that's pretty decent quality, doesn't cost anything, doesn't stick the logo on my videos and it converts all of the video, not just half of it.
    I used to have prism something but then my trial run ran out so yeah, I can't use that >.<
    And zamzar has a limit of 100MB :l

Help please?
    Try the video conversion link in my signature. Not sure what format your videos are in, but the software should open them.
    01-27-10 09:48 AM
    nice work phantomsphan easy enough to set up fast conversion
    just took movies from others list and run them though process now my 8330 is good to go
    05-06-10 10:47 PM
    One of the things that I have been unable to determine is why I could play AVI format on Verizon with the 517 Saskatel official OS, but on 607 that container will not play the video portion, only audio.
    05-12-10 11:42 AM
    Since the original Curve and Pearl aren't rolling out still, I don't know how useful this guide is any more. I have a Curve 8530 now and I've found I need to encode videos as xvid to get them to play anyway. There's also been an update to AVIDemux as well, so it's a bit outdated. If anyone still finds it useful though let me know, I'll update it with new screenshots using the current app and add some notes about newer devices.
    06-25-10 02:25 PM
    phantomsphan, you are a life saver!

I recently picked up FOUR 8130 BB pearls from an estate sale, $10.00, just needed new batteries. All are Verizon branded. Since I already have a wireless handset, just wanted to use these for playing videos/music, no phone capabilities at all.

Since these are all verizon handsets I was having a bear of a time getting the correct settings that the pearl AND the verizon software would accept. I followed your instructions (still clear even though they are out of date), had to alter the screen resolution to 240x144 (16:9 aspect), and adjusted the FPS down from 25.00 to 15.00 (prolly not necessary, but it helped with choppiness on these older handsets) but otherwise the video and audio codec you have listed worked with no issues.

The cropping instructions are a big help for such a small screen, if you really want to fill up the entire screen.

The best part is that I only needed to install the BB desktop software on my XP machine. Now I can charge my "basically free" handsets via a standard USB cable. Can even drag/drop files onto the microSD card while it is in the handset! No messing with the Roxio software at all!

Love the fact you are using Doctor Who shots to illustrate your encoding. My testing was done with the 7min children in need special where Christopher Eccelson regenerates into David Tennant.

I've even had luck with the "rotate" filter option to allow a larger image of the 16:9 video to display on the pearls screen.

For a total n00b to a BB like me, your post was the one that did the trick. I've found FFMPEG command lines which will also create a playable file, but nothing as slick as AVIdemux.

Your post should IMHO be elevated to a sticky. Uses free software, easy to follow, and it really does work, even on the 8130 pearl.

Sorry if I sound so excited, but my kids LOVE THESE! A great way to recycle cast off handsets as well as in-service units.
    11-23-10 10:55 AM
    Glad it was helpful to you Renstyle. That's a pretty cool idea to make them into little video/music players for the kids. I will go ahead and update with new links and screenshots when I get some time. I also just got a new Bold 9650, so I'm testing some things out on it as far as converting and will probably add that as well. Funny to see that even over 2 years later, someone still finds it useful.
    11-23-10 03:42 PM
94 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD