I was thinking of getting the charging pod, and setting it up on my nightstand and changing my tour overnight while leaving the clock on.

I have two questions.

1. Is it bad to charge the battery over night (I have always heard that you should never charge a battery for longer then it takes to fully charge),

2. Will it heat up too much running the clock app and charging over night.

In essecense, is this really a good idea.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me.
    07-23-09 08:49 AM
    I have or leave my BlackBerries plugged in all night when I sleep and disconnect them when I wake ( I have 4 currently working and with service ). Though I've never tried the charging pod, I'm thinking about one for my Tour.

My screen clock stays on my Tour all night and I haven't seen that it overheats or runs hot while charging. And I haven't had any battery charge issues leaving it charging over night either.

Hope that helps.
    07-23-09 08:54 AM
    +1. Buy the pod its the only way to go.
    07-23-09 08:56 AM
    1. Is it bad to charge the battery over night (I have always heard that you should never charge a battery for longer then it takes to fully charge),
    This is only true with the "old" nickel based rechargeable batteries, no newer lithium-ion batteries will be damaged or have their life shortened by charging for longer than is needed, or before they are dead.

So keep those batteries topped off!
    07-23-09 09:08 AM
    I always leave my phone charging over night.. Never had any problems charging pod is better cause you don't wear out the usb plug in
    07-23-09 09:21 AM
    I used one on my 8900, had it set for bedside mode with the radio off so I wouldn't get calls. Threw out my alarm clock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 09:31 AM
    1 Charging Cycle = Plugging the phone to the charger 1 time, So charging it every night would cause your battery to need replaced a little bit over a year after purchase.
    this is not true . . .

A charge cycle occurs when 100% of a battery�s capacity is used. Let�s say you use 50% of your laptop�s battery one day, charge it overnight, and then you use 50% of the battery again the next day. Even after charging it back up again, you�ll have only had one charge cycle occur.
    07-23-09 09:39 AM
    what effect does the charging pod have on bedside mode? will the tour still go into beside mode when in the pod? common sense says yes bc it is being charged, but then again, the micro usb port on the phone is not doing the charging. It looks like it gets charged through contacts on back of the phone next to the battery door clip. Thoughts?
    07-23-09 09:43 AM
    I had the charging pod for my curve storm and I just ordered one for my tour. The curve one was nice but very annoying because the blackberry logo on the front had a led under it so it lit up at night. It was very bright you couldn't turn it off and it made it hard to sleep. The storm one had the same blackberry logo but it didn't light up which was awesome. So I'm hoping the tour version has no led.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 09:47 AM
    what effect does the charging pod have on bedside mode? will the tour still go into beside mode when in the pod? common sense says yes bc it is being charged, but then again, the micro usb port on the phone is not doing the charging. It looks like it gets charged through contacts on back of the phone next to the battery door clip. Thoughts?
    It should still put it into bedside mode. I know when I plug my Tour into the computer, it will put itself into bedside mode. I believe it's done just by sensing the charging going on.
    07-23-09 10:08 AM
    It should still put it into bedside mode. I know when I plug my Tour into the computer, it will put itself into bedside mode. I believe it's done just by sensing the charging going on.
    can anyone confirm this?
    07-23-09 12:27 PM
    can anyone confirm this?
    yeah there's a thread up right now that has a picture of it in bedside mode
    07-23-09 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD