So I've had my 8330 for about 5 months(begining of June) and the infamous charger port issue has come up, it broke off. I brought it in, and they claimed that its not covered under warranty, and that I have to buy a new damn phone.

Is this REALLY true? I'm thinking of driving to a farther store and asking them there, the guy at the store I want to was an *****.

Any other experiences with this? Help?
    09-28-09 01:27 AM
    If you search you will find a similar post from earlier today. CBers posted there that this is correct. The usb port is not covered primarily because they can be damaged if care is not takin when plugging and unplugging the cable. If the port were to die and not show any damage then they may cover it but otherwise it's just like any other broken part. This is were insurance comes in. If you have it, file a claim, if not then you will have to take it to a repair shop to be fixed.
    09-28-09 01:34 AM
    Yeah I got pretty lucky on this issue. I took mine to Sprint because it would not charge on a wall charger, only usb or a car charger. The dude told me that it wasn't broken off so they would fix it (refurb is what I ended up getting, but that's ok cuz there were other issues with the phone too). But he told me that if it had broken completely off I would be out $120.
    09-28-09 02:22 AM
    If you have soldering experience you can buy a new USB port and install it yourself. So far I did not see any tutorials on how to do this but it is possible to replace it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 09:43 AM
    Ahh, well that stinks. You'd thing if they knew that they had such an easily damageable part on their product they would cover it...but then again I guess they wouldn't.

I guess I should be thankful that I bought the insurance, and I'm "only" paying $90 as opposed to $350 or so >_<

And for those who are curious, there's no chance of faking them out, the port is basically hanging out of the phone.

Thanks for everyone's input!
    09-28-09 09:50 AM
    All devices that use a charging/data port is a weak spot on the phone. The old jack that plugs into to charge the phone is the best. Users plug in chargers at night with the cord upside down and in the dark sometimes (been there). Use the charging dock and your berry with thank you for it...
    09-28-09 10:14 AM
    I had a similar issue with my charge port, but because I pay extra for the equipment replacement plan with Sprint, they swapped my phone out.
    09-28-09 07:16 PM
    Every time I read these threads it pushes me one step closer to getting a dock to put mine on instead of using the mini-USB port.

I'm planning on getting the 8900 soon, so I'll definantely be getting a dock for that one!
    09-28-09 11:31 PM
    Every time I read these threads it pushes me one step closer to getting a dock to put mine on instead of using the mini-USB port.

I'm planning on getting the 8900 soon, so I'll definantely be getting a dock for that one!
    It's not a bad idea but if you are careful with your devices you will not likely have these types of troubles. It's people who rush and don't take care when plugging in their devices, be they BB, camera, mp3 player etc.., that have these problems generally. The V551 had one of the works charge port designs and was easily broken, seeing how weak it was just made me more careful when I charged it.
    09-28-09 11:46 PM
    I had my charging port fixed yesterday at CPR. They are opening stores nation wide. Check to see if one is in your area. It was $40, 20-30 mins and works perfectly. Just wanted to share.
    11-06-09 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD