Just a heads up -

If you apply a skin with a screen protector, and need to remove the skin, it's easy to damage the screen!

I botched the install of an Invisible Shield and needed to remove it. All went well until I began to remove it from the actual screen. I was careful to hold the screen down with one hand while pulling the skin off very carefully with the other. Nothing seemed to travel too far or move in a bad way, but now the click mechanism is damaged

The screen now doesn't bounce back properly from a click, and tends to jam in the clicked-down position, especially after it's been in the holster (vertical). So any pulling stresses on the screen easily damage the mechanism.

It's insured, and I'm an electronics tech, so I'm probably going to open it up to see if there's something bent that I can put back, but skinners beware!
    12-29-08 08:14 PM
    Stay away from those things and get a 3 pack of screen protectors from Verizon for 10 bucks.
    12-29-08 08:20 PM
    Take a look at my post here. I had the same problem with two brand new Storms but I thought it was because of the screen protectors but I think it was cause I pushed hard to get the bubbles out.

"http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ultimate-official-tips-tricks-only-100612/index44.html#post1284268"
    Last edited by xkaliguyx; 12-30-08 at 01:17 AM.
    12-29-08 09:17 PM
    Take a look at my post here. I had the same problem with two brand new Storms but I thought it was because of the screen protectors but I think it was cause I pushed hard to get the bubbles out.

"http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ultimate-official-tips-tricks-only-100612/index44.html#post1284268"
    Interesting. You have an earlier LCD backplate than mine...

Here is my backplate:
    Attachment 8852

No sign that any adhesive plastic riser was ever on there. No residue, and there's nothing loose in the phone.
    Also notice the later date code (49-08) and the later part number.

Did your backplate have a metal dimple under the plastic one?

Here is my button board...
    Attachment 8853

Same exact part number.

BTW - I've taking a ton of high res pics while working on this - will post in a later thread.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-29-08 at 09:52 PM.
    12-29-08 09:43 PM
    Sucks about your phone TBacker, but great pics!!
    12-29-08 09:48 PM
    Did your backplate have a metal dimple under the plastic one?
    Myne is a flat and metal with a plastic adhesive dimple.
    12-29-08 11:11 PM
    Myne is a flat and metal with a plastic adhesive dimple.
    That must be a very early revision - even the breakdown pics that were posted immediately upon release of the Storm showed an integrated metal dimple.

You might want to exchange that bad boy as I don't see that adhesive dimple staying put long term.
    12-29-08 11:51 PM
    Well, after breaking my storm down to a dozen parts, and not seeing anything broken, bent, or missing, I reassembled it but tightened all of the torx screws including the middle ones that people adjust.

This left the only modification to my Storm being my tape-shim fix to support the mid plate behind the sim/SD cards.

Click is perfect and pronounced at center and all corners It's a tiny bit stiffer than before but not in a bad way - it feels solid, like I would expect a new device to feel.

I had loosened the middle screws 1/4 turn, and I think the screws had worked more loose over time, exasperated by me pressing the skin onto the screen.

On top of that, after taking this apart and looking at how it's built, I think the screw-loosening-fix isn't necessary at all, my fix above is all that is required in many if not most cases.

Those who have really funky or severe click problems may have the old stick-on dimple like xkaliguyx's above. Those with minor problems may have the metal dimple but no support at the center of the mid plate allowing the button to move when clicking.

Maybe someone can confirm this by tightening their middle torx screws back up and trying my tape fix above?
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-30-08 at 12:06 AM.
    12-30-08 12:02 AM
    That must be a very early revision - even the breakdown pics that were posted immediately upon release of the Storm showed an integrated metal dimple.

You might want to exchange that bad boy as I don't see that adhesive dimple staying put long term.
    My screen clicks great as if I had the business card behind my battery.
    12-30-08 12:03 AM
    what is the purpose of a skin? does it offer protection? mostly just from scratches i assume?

EDIT: im just confused. normally those neoprene or rubbery skins just come right off...maybe im thinking of something else
    12-30-08 12:07 AM

For people who would rather see a nice link instead of a quoted url.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ul...ml#post1284268

Also, it's hard to make out on the copper plate, but it show a Rev B whereas the Alloy ones show a Rev D on them. Something to think about. When was your Storm manufacturerd?
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 12-30-08 at 12:12 AM.
    12-30-08 12:07 AM
    what is the purpose of a skin? does it offer protection? mostly just from scratches i assume?

EDIT: im just confused. normally those neoprene or rubbery skins just come right off...maybe im thinking of something else
    A skin is a clear, tough, covering applied to the outside of the phone and screen. The goal is to protect the phone from scratches without "hiding" it.

Depending on manufacturer and the person applying it, it can be virtually invisible.

It does not protect from drop-shock though.
    12-30-08 12:12 AM
    Also, it's hard to make out on the copper plate, but it show a Rev B whereas the Alloy ones show a Rev D on them. Something to think about. When was your Storm manufacturerd?
    My phone was born 101208. The date code on my LCD backplate is 49-08 (49th week of 2008?).

I see xkaliguyx's plate shows 42-08.
    12-30-08 12:17 AM
    tape-shim fix
    I agree with your tape-shim fix as a better non-tecky solution for enhancing the screen clicking experience. The logic behind it is better than the business card trick since its placed in the center rather than to one side. Like a see^saw effect.
    12-30-08 12:40 AM
    For people who would rather see a nice link instead of a quoted url.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ul...ml#post1284268

Thanks JRSCCivic98, At the time I didnt have enough posts to be aloud to post a url.
    12-30-08 12:46 AM
    I agree with your tape-shim fix as a better non-tecky solution for enhancing the screen clicking experience. The logic behind it is better than the business card trick since its placed in the center rather than to one side. Like a see^saw effect.
    I took quite some time while my phone was apart to see why the screw loosening trick works for so many people.

When those screws are loosened, it allows the middle of the midplate, including the button, to move or spring up a bit (toward the back of the screen). This in essence brings the button into much closer proximity to the dimple on the LCD.

The down side is those screws being loosened also allows the midplate and button to move the opposite direction when the screen is pressed. Not only does this seem to lessen the solidity of the feel, but eventually the screws will work themselves looser, even though they feel snug.

Maybe I should post this in more detail on a separate thread - I just don't want to come across as dissing the screw-loosening-fix.
    12-30-08 12:56 AM
    this was very useful thread thanks for the heads up!
    12-30-08 01:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD