Do the soft cases/skins really offer any protection? Or are they just for fashion?

I am 13 days away from my first BB (totally "geeked" )...just trying to figure out what accessories I should purchase along with the BB.
    04-07-10 12:11 AM
    I've tried a variety of skins/cases for my phone...and my favorite thus far has definately been the Seidio Innocase Surface II. Its a hard case but doesn't make the phone feel bulky. Typically I can only leave a case on for a short time and then I get tired of it because of the way it makes the phone feel, but I haven't experienced this with the Surface II. It still lets the phone be thin and feels good in my hand. I highly recommend it. I am always concerned about giving my phone good protection and this case does that for it. It covers everything but still leaves all buttons and ports easily accessible. congrats on your new blackberry...but beware...they are highly addicting!!
    04-07-10 12:23 AM
    Yes, they do offer quite a bit of protection, although I recommend screen protection because a skin is no help there. My Curve still wears a silicone skin to this day, and other than wear on the keyboard, and screen scratches, it is still in 7/10 condition otherwise, and it has bounced across concrete, fallen onto asphalt from 8' above ground, and saved it from a soaking when a water line broke and sprayed me down.

My Tour wears a Xantris acrylic case for now, and that case is already covered from the scratches from bouncing around the inside of my truck. I'd rather replace a $10 case than drop a Benjamin for a refurb.

Accessories recommended? Car charger. Desktop charging pod to reduce usage of the microUSB port, and serve as a nice stand for charging your BlackBerry at night. A spare battery. You won't need it as much as many popular new devices, but BlackBerrys like to be fed. Don't make it a habit to drain your battery, as this will shorten its lifespan.

Let your fingers do the shopping. Oh, depending on the carrier, Tour will come with a smaller capacity media card. Usually 1 or 2 GB. You'll wanna shop around sometime for more storage.

A good Source for Tour goodies?
    Enjoy your new Tour, and welcome to CrackBerry!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 04-07-10 at 12:51 AM.
    04-07-10 12:42 AM
    have used Body Glove cases for my Curve and now for my Tour..protection and a textured surface to keep the phone from slipping or being dropped
    04-07-10 12:44 AM
    I've tried a variety of skins/cases for my phone...and my favorite thus far has definately been the Seidio Innocase Surface II. Its a hard case but doesn't make the phone feel bulky. Typically I can only leave a case on for a short time and then I get tired of it because of the way it makes the phone feel, but I haven't experienced this with the Surface II. It still lets the phone be thin and feels good in my hand. I highly recommend it. I am always concerned about giving my phone good protection and this case does that for it. It covers everything but still leaves all buttons and ports easily accessible. congrats on your new blackberry...but beware...they are highly addicting!!
    I completely agree with this. I got the Innocase II back in October and it's been on my Tour ever since. Gives the BB a great feel, not so big/bulky it takes away from the device or makes it a pain to use. I don't know about drop protection, doesn't seem like it would really withstand much of a drop (it's not an Otterbox...)
    I went out this past weekend and was having some beers with friends and without thinking set my BB down on the bar right into a pool of beer. Looked down and realized this and a slight panic came over me. The little bit of extra padding/plastic this gives the BB was enough to keep any beer from reaching the device itself and no harm was done. Wiped off the case and it was fine. Personally I'd buy another one if/when the time comes. I know some people have said they are disappointed with the case or Seidio, but this has not been my experience.
    04-07-10 01:27 AM
    Try epik cases. I love them, and for only 6$ you can't beat it.

04-07-10 02:04 AM
    Try epik cases. I love them, and for only 6$ you can't beat it.

Epik cases are the best. Mine has saved my Tour on more than one occasion.
    04-07-10 09:29 AM
    have used Body Glove cases for my Curve and now for my Tour..protection and a textured surface to keep the phone from slipping or being dropped
    I agree with you here. Body Glove case is the best case I've had for my Tour. Offers decent protection w/out being bulky. Also, invest in a good screen protector.

04-07-10 10:17 AM
    For a while I never used a skin. Recently I bought the OEM skin and tried that for a few days. I ended up not liking it and returning it due to no grip.

I ordered the Body Glove thinking it would be better. Got it yesterday, and it does have much more protection than the OEM brand, however, I find the grip factor to be lacking on this one as well.

So, does anyone know of a skin that actually offers some good rubbery grip. The Tour itself seems to have more grip than these skins do.
    Last edited by jabbs1; 04-07-10 at 10:41 AM.
    04-07-10 10:39 AM
    I used to use the Otterbox Commuter and lived with the fact that the charging port was semi-obstructed and then found the Case Mate Hybrid which is much better at not blocking the charging port. No challenging moves to get it and leave it down and hope it doesn't stop charging the phone over night.

Albeit the otterbox is an awesome case but the charging port issue was too bothersome for me. With the Case Mate I just plug away and not have to worry at night.

My 2 cents.
    04-07-10 10:44 AM
    There is plenty of cases. I use a white condom I bought from VZW when I got the phone.
    04-07-10 10:45 AM
    +1 for the Epik cases. Love them!
    04-07-10 12:03 PM
    Just got one of the new colored skins by Phantom Skinz. I was considering getting a new housing, but I decided to go this route instead. Only $30 and I got free shipping and 2 free clear screen protectors. Install only took like 20 minutes (no water) and it turned out really nice. Here's a couple pics I posted on another thread.

I don't think it will do much more than protect from scratches as its just a skin, but it looks really nice, especially in the sunlight, and I'm pretty careful with my phone anyways.
    04-08-10 01:01 PM
    Do the Phantom Skinz void the warranty on the phone? Also the website say they can be removed with the help of some heat from a hair dryer. Is there a sticky film left after the removal?
    04-08-10 01:31 PM
    I've been looking at the Seido 2 case but really want one that fits in the charging cradle. Either they need to make the cradles to fit with cases or cases to fit the cradles. Hate having to pull the case off everyday.
    04-08-10 01:38 PM
    +1 for the Epik cases. Love them!
    I have been waiting for their site to comeback up so I can order one.
    04-08-10 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD