I'm prepared to get a new 9900 as my Torch has finally broken. I've been thinking hard and have concluded that I want the Bold. For Bold 9900 users out there, does the hardware scratch easily? Will I be needing a case?
    02-11-12 01:25 PM
    I personally always case my BB, and this phone will be no different. I bought my phone last Sunday and I already have a Otterbox Commuter case on the way (which I got off Amazon for $20 including shipping). Quite frankly I see no reason not to spend $10 to $50 on a case to protect a $500+ phone that, even with insurance, will cost $200 to replace if broken.
    02-11-12 01:40 PM
    A better question is how are you going to feel when you have a big scratch on your screen, bezel, or battery cover? Or even when something gets broken when the phone gets dropped, its not like dropping a phone is something you can predict. The 9900 is also a super duper finger print magnet, so being able to wipe the screen on your shirt and having the housing stay clean is nice. Also, one thing I learned the hard way, cases that use a large rectangle for the camera/flash panel on the back will collect finger prints and debris which is a PITA when you want to take a picture. The Rectangles are also hard to clean since crud builds up in the corners. A case with small cut outs for the lens and flash are mucho better since you can wipe down the back of the phone without touching the lens or flash. Same goes when your holding the phone. You will not be able to touch the lens or flash.

After 3 or more cases I have come to the conclusion that the best one hands down is the Otterbox Commuter. I also highly recommend a Steinheils screen protector. Both products are second to none and will keep you from buying more stuff when you find flaws with the cheaper stuff.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-11-12 at 01:48 PM.
    02-11-12 01:46 PM
    Personally I use the original leather pouch. When using the device I like the feel of the phone naked but don't want it like that in my pocket. It is all personal preference though and how pristine you want your phone to stay.
    02-11-12 01:50 PM
    Depends what you do for a living, I would say. I wouldn't expect a garbageman would go naked whilst the doctor goes full blown otterbox defender. (On a side note, stay away from the OB defender, the outer rubber piece pops off whenever you holster it, and it will also stretch and fatigue. The inner plastic shell will damage your bottom plastic chin bezel thing, usually stamped with your carrier name) good luck!
    02-11-12 02:11 PM
    I'm usually a case fanatic about my devices. I decided to put my 9930 in the Blackberry soft shell case sold in the Crackberry store, and I love it. The back and sides are protected; the keyboard and screen are easily accessible. It depends on you. Get what makes you feel comfortable. Enjoy your new bb!
    02-11-12 02:20 PM
    I'm actually only a teen and idid have a Torch that I have dropped many times not leaving any marks (even thrown against a wall). But I have found some nice cases so I might aswell get one just in CASE. *pun* lolol
    02-11-12 02:25 PM
    I go naked....same for my Bold too.

Dropped it several times with no obvious scratches, marks, etc. Could have been lucky I guess.
    02-11-12 03:22 PM
    Get a case mate barely there case
    02-11-12 03:27 PM
    I def would rec a case. I dropped my phone so many times my otterbox commuter case is now cracked on both sides, but the phone is still in perfect condition w/o any scratches. Plus with this case, the phone feels really nice and it's not bulky. Guess I will shortly purchase another one.
    02-11-12 03:32 PM
    I just got the OtterBox Commuter Series and I like the protection the case gives the phone.

I always suggest getting some sort of case for your phone.
    02-11-12 03:41 PM
    I found the black 9900 scratched easily, but now I have a white 9900 and it's totally different.............no scratches at all, even the battery cover is a better material than the black version. Mine was naked and totally fine til yesterday, when I added a Zagg screen protector just because I got one for free.
    02-11-12 03:44 PM
    Depends what you do for a living, I would say. I wouldn't expect a garbageman would go naked whilst the doctor goes full blown otterbox defender. (On a side note, stay away from the OB defender, the outer rubber piece pops off whenever you holster it, and it will also stretch and fatigue. The inner plastic shell will damage your bottom plastic chin bezel thing, usually stamped with your carrier name) good luck!
    HHHMMMmmmm... Wish I would've read this earlier, order a OB defender yesterday for my new 9930, had one on my 8330 and loved it. They aren't made the same??? Do you use a holster?? I need a holster when carrying mine.
    02-11-12 03:57 PM
    i would go naked if the phone could handle scratches or falls, but unfortunately it�s not like that.
    i�d gotta say that i really like the OEM-hard/soft case from blackberry.
    if you want to keep the secksyness you gotta look into those cases, but ofcourse there,
    are many other cases which can do that too.
    02-11-12 04:05 PM
    I have the seidio surface and the seidio cradle charger.
    Its the best case seidio has made in a long time.
    I love it...it offer good protection and then drops into
    the charger at the end of the day...
    02-11-12 04:08 PM
    I found the black 9900 scratched easily, but now I have a white 9900 and it's totally different.............no scratches at all, even the battery cover is a better material than the black version. Mine was naked and totally fine til yesterday, when I added a Zagg screen protector just because I got one for free.
    So are you saying that the white one is less prone to scratching? I've been considering both black and white. If white shows scratches less and scratches less easily I'll most definitely go for the white one!
    02-11-12 04:12 PM
    Thing with the Commuter, unlike most of the skins on the market, the button extentions protrude outward far enough so they can be used. Rare for any case.
    02-11-12 04:20 PM
    I personally always case my BB, and this phone will be no different. I bought my phone last Sunday and I already have a Otterbox Commuter case on the way (which I got off Amazon for $20 including shipping). Quite frankly I see no reason not to spend $10 to $50 on a case to protect a $500+ phone that, even with insurance, will cost $200 to replace if broken.
    Yup and the replacement will be reconditioned and so far every reconditioned phone that I've had sent to me has had minor problems here and there.for ex: my replacement 9930 has a faulty keyboard that only registers input if I apply alot of pressure. So I'm assuming that someone got this phone wet n the past. The insurance program is such crap. We desearve new phones if we're still in the 1 year warrenty
    02-11-12 05:17 PM
    My defender is fine. In fact otterbox actually updated the design so those statements are false. Easier to holster and magnet on belt clip is smaller. I've been using the original defender since this 9930 first came out and have had no issues or bezel marks. Any case will scratch your phone if you mistreat it
    02-11-12 05:22 PM
    I guess it depends on how you use your device.

I drop my device every once in a while, not crazy falls or anything and the phone is fine without a case for me. The metal band and device in general is extremely sturdy.

However, I do use a case every once in a while just for some added security
    02-11-12 05:24 PM
    i assume you still have the A button keypad damage problem since you have dropped it badly.
    02-11-12 05:26 PM
    i just picked up my 9900 and got a otterbox commuter for it yesterday and love it! dont want to get my baby scratched up. Even comes with a screen protector. So i would recommend one for sure.
    02-11-12 05:46 PM
    I def would rec a case. I dropped my phone so many times my otterbox commuter case is now cracked on both sides, but the phone is still in perfect condition w/o any scratches. Plus with this case, the phone feels really nice and it's not bulky. Guess I will shortly purchase another one.
    If the case is damaged from regular use, write to Otterbox. I've had great customer service from them. They've replaced cases and screen protectors for me several times.
    02-11-12 05:48 PM
    what do you guys think of the body shield?
    02-11-12 07:41 PM
    it will protect you from scratches, but most unlikely not from a fall i guess.
    02-11-12 07:46 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD