Would this one work as a car charger for the storm?

Motorola SYN1830A
    Newegg.com - MOTOROLA SYN1830A micro USB Car Charger - Cell Phone Accessories

price is about right, and since i'm ordering another dock anyways!
    12-17-08 03:11 AM
    Most likely it will work, but there was a guy that posted here a day or so ago about frying his Storm using a generic USB charger. Based on that I would be tempted to say it might be worth the extra $10 or $15 to get the proper charging cable from Blackberry or Verizon.
    12-17-08 03:17 AM
    Most likely it will work, but there was a guy that posted here a day or so ago about frying his Storm using a generic USB charger. Based on that I would be tempted to say it might be worth the extra $10 or $15 to get the proper charging cable from Blackberry or Verizon.
    I am not sure about the other post I missed that one. But I am guessing that it was a cheap no name brand of the micro usb charger and as such had some internal problems. All usb chargers all charge the same they have the same requirements. And as such as long as you stick with a name brand in this case Motorola should work fine. I am basing this info off of the usb 2.0 requirements.
    12-17-08 03:30 AM
    I am not sure about the other post I missed that one. But I am guessing that it was a cheap no name brand of the micro usb charger and as such had some internal problems. All usb chargers all charge the same they have the same requirements. And as such as long as you stick with a name brand in this case Motorola should work fine. I am basing this info off of the usb 2.0 requirements.
    I agree. That makes sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 04:00 AM
    It is hard to say what will work, what will not work and what will fry. In general we have had good experience with Motorola chargers on CrackBerry. However this experience has been largely based upon wall chargers which are generally compatible with BlackBerrys.

USB car chargers come in 2 main flavors.

- Unstabilized. These oftern contain no electronics to reduce/stabilize the 13.2 Volts from an automobile's electrics down to the 5 volts rquired by USB (BlackBerrys included) devices. These are the ones that may fry your phone so ask the questions "What is the maximum outpt voltage?" Answer must be 5 volts. "Is this device fully voltage stabilized?" Anwser must be Yes.

- Stabilized. These are better but even then poor design (and it is difficult to design these badly as they are very simple to design usually using the LM 317 or similar chip) can cause poor charging or fatal results.

My advise would be do not compromize on a cheapo $5 adapter when dealing with a $200+ phone. It just does nor make sense. Buy a named brand like BlackBerry or Motorola or one that you know works and meets the criteria.

This is currently hard to do because there are not too many micro-USB auto chargers on the market right now. These will come aplenty over the next few months as more and more phone manufacturers adopt the new micro-USB standard.
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-18-08 at 08:26 AM.
    12-17-08 04:29 AM
    All of my motorola mini usb chargers have worked great with the mini usb to micro usb adapters that are made by motorola. You can find them on ebay for about $3.
    12-17-08 06:07 AM
    All of my motorola mini usb chargers have worked great with the mini usb to micro usb adapters that are made by motorola. You can find them on ebay for about $3.
    Or in T-Mobile stores for about $4.99 (they are marked for the Raz'r but they work)!
    12-17-08 07:28 AM
    The USB charger for the STORM is MICRO USB, not mini USB. There is a difference. If you ask for a mini USB, you'll get the one that fits MOST older BBs. Micro is a new design. Granted, mini won't fit on the STORM without extreme force and even at that, I'm sure it won't fit at all.
    12-17-08 08:05 AM
    We all get the micro USB thing. We are trying to find a way to use our old plethora of mini usb chargers instead of having to buy new ones...
    12-17-08 09:48 AM
    I fried a phone using a cheap generic... and I definitely do NOT trust one with my $500+ phone. However, this being a Motorola, I MIGHT take my chances.
    12-17-08 09:53 AM
    The USB charger for the STORM is MICRO USB, not mini USB. There is a difference. If you ask for a mini USB, you'll get the one that fits MOST older BBs. Micro is a new design. Granted, mini won't fit on the STORM without extreme force and even at that, I'm sure it won't fit at all.
    yea, everyone knows that, hence why they are talking about the micro usb adapters to convert all their mini usb accessories from their old BB's. Makes sense to go that route instead of dropping a ton of loot on the same accessories all over again...I still to this day dont know why RIM did that?!?! I guess they realized most people thought they would hafta spend the money and buy all new accessories after buying a new device.
    12-17-08 10:05 AM
    yea, everyone knows that, hence why they are talking about the micro usb adapters to convert all their mini usb accessories from their old BB's. Makes sense to go that route instead of dropping a ton of loot on the same accessories all over again...I still to this day dont know why RIM did that?!?! I guess they realized most people thought they would hafta spend the money and buy all new accessories after buying a new device.
    FWIW, someone posted in another thread that mini USB is being phased out (by everyone, not just by RIM) in favor of micro USB because micro USB is a more robust design.
    12-17-08 10:11 AM
    Understood. I saw mini USB and jumped the gun. I had just seen a few in other threads call it mini USB and can see someone reading those threads and buying a mini USB and being somewhat disappointed.
    12-17-08 12:20 PM
    They make mini-to-micro adapters for under $10 at Radio Shack.
    12-17-08 12:23 PM
    monoprice dot com has super cheap micro usb cables for around $1.50 before shipping. Buy more to save on shipping, leave one in the car, in your messenger bag, at work and at home. That's what I did.

Edit: more like $1.80 I guess: For only $1.23 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable | USB 2.0 Cable - Mini-B Type
    Last edited by wildta2000; 12-17-08 at 01:52 PM.
    12-17-08 01:50 PM
    When i got my new 8330 a few weeks ago, the Verizon sales guy did a hard sell to get me to buy one of their $30+ car charges. I said, "No, thanks. I have a glove box full of them".

He said that I would definitely fry my BB because they "used to make all the USB ports the same, but changed them a few months ago."

The Moto car charged outputs, IIRC, 850 Milliamp / 5.2 V. The wall plug that cam with my BB is 700 milliamp / 5.2 V.

I really think that this close enough. I should probably check and see what the current is drawn when hooked up to a PC. Anyone know?

thoughts on this?

Matt
    12-18-08 08:20 AM
    Motorola chargers of all types seem to always work well with BlackBerrys. As I said before, it is the real cheap unstabilized chargers are the ones that do the damage.
    12-18-08 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD