Is it true that car chargers harm the life of the battery? I really need a car charger but hesitant to get one because of this. I've heard that if u use a reg charger and use a car charger that it decreases the over all battery life on the phone. Is this true that you know of or have experienced?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 03:55 PM
    I have always used a car charger to top off my battery when going from here to there. I have never heard of my battery being harmed from using it.

Now, would I leave my phone charging overnight in my car...NO. But on a trip while I'm playing music through my car stereo and charging at the same time...YES.

I'd say no damage is done. At least I have never experienced it.

Someone with more knowledge may have an opinion for you. They will check in soon, I'm sure.
    07-15-10 04:10 PM
    The new generation of Li-ion batteries like being charged to the max. My 9000 lives on a car charger most days. Never heard of an issue and have no trouble of my own.
    07-15-10 04:11 PM
    The only issue I've heard of was leaving it on the car charger all the time. I had a bro who did this, left it constantly plugged in to the car. When the car was off the charger was off, but still it did deteriorate the battery at a faster rate. Just don't leave it plugged in 24/7 like he did and you'll be fine.
    07-15-10 04:18 PM
    I have read a reputable article recently that said that wall charges are "trickle" chargers and are best for phones. The car chargers are "rapid" chargers and should be used sparingly and only in emergencies or to keep your phone on until you get get it to a wall charger. That said, I do keep one in my car. The rapid chargers don't give it a "lasting" charge; i.e., it charges faster and it drains faster. I don't understand why the difference, I'll leave that to the physics teachers.
    07-15-10 08:10 PM
    USB charging is a trickle charge. Wall chargers aren't trickle chargers.
    07-15-10 08:17 PM
    I use my car charger at least every other day, I've even gone as far as leaving a spare @ the FD
    07-15-10 08:20 PM
    USB charging is a trickle charge. Wall chargers aren't trickle chargers.
    Agreed, I think USB ports only an output of about 2V, don't remember exactly anymore. The wall charger has an output of 5V, I looked at my car charger and it doesn't say what its output is. In all my test equipment I don't have anything that will read the output of one of these micro USB connectors. I would guess that there is some type of stepdown in the car charger's plug that steps it down to 5V, it seems that if the normal charge output is 5V charging with 12V directly off of your car's electrical system would be excessive and more than a rapid charge.

I could be totally off on these comments; however, they would be my expectations.
    07-15-10 08:49 PM
    Yeah usb is 5v only. It's the amps that vary though, depending on how much power the source can currently supply.

Example:
    iPad power adapter vs. iPhone's adpater? - Mac Forums
    Last edited by papped; 07-15-10 at 08:55 PM.
    07-15-10 08:50 PM
    Thanks everyone for responding! mucho appreciated. I used a car charger on my 8330 and it seemed like it would drain faster after it was off but the rapid and trickle charging makes perfect sense.

Thanks!
    07-16-10 06:59 AM
    If you use some of the navigator programs, or Trapster,the battery drains quickly. So is there any concern leaving the phone on the car charger while using those programs?
    07-17-10 08:06 PM
    No not at all, basically I was saying I've heard that if you use a wall charger all the time but then use the car charger, it makes the overall battery life suffer. Whereas it constantly drains quicker the more you use your car charger

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-10 06:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD