So my wife and I both have tours, mine has OS5 and hers has OS4.7 that came with it. She was driving home and her phone was dying so she plugged in her micro-mini adapter I got her and plugged it into the car and nothing. The little lightning bolt shows up but after about 30minutes, there is still no change in her charge. So I tried it with my phone...same thing. So I went and bought the blackberry car charger from crackberry.com for the tour. Plugged it in (car running and all) and after 15 minutes, her charge was still at 85%, no change. She has a Honda Minivan, Ive tried my civic and also in a jeep liberty, all the same results, or lack there of.

Does anyone else have issues with charging their phones in the car or know why ours wont? It charges fine from my cradle and from an outlet but nada from the car charger. TIA
    11-18-09 10:36 AM
    Maybe your car's output is not enough to charge the phones??? try in a different slot or car if you can. I don't think it has to do with the phones themselves.
    11-18-09 12:18 PM
    The blackberry tour receives two distinct and different signals from devices.

From the Cradle chargers and wall-wart chargers it receives a signal that tells it to accept a charge at a faster rate.

From the USB cable and Car chargers it receives a signal that tells it to accept a slower charge.

I do not know how to overcome this or why RIM coded the hardware this way, but I do know that it's pissing a lot of people (Including me) off.

=[
    Dm
    11-18-09 12:42 PM
    So to update...I had to drive for a while so I plugged in my phone and after 20 min it had actually increased from 90 to 95 so I guess the BB charger works and its what you're saying detman that it just charges sllloooooooow. Thanks for the input though. I do think my other cig charges weren't putting enough juice through and that's why they weren't charging at all though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 12:47 PM
    Well, your cig chargers could be to blame as well.

But I did a test using a common criteria testbed and two charging variables.

In the Ford Flex SUV, it has a cigarette charger outlet and also a power inverter built into the vehicle (so you can plug in your 3-prong/2-prong wall plugs).

So I tested using my friend's Ford Flex and it's outlet options.

1. My cigarette plug charger recharged super slow, not filling up my blackberry tour from halfway in just under an hour on the ride to church.

2. Plugging my wall charger into the Ford Flex rear seat power Inverter (Wall outlet in the car) gave me a quick charge refilling my blackberry Tour from half full in under an hour on the ride home from church.

Dm
    11-18-09 01:40 PM
    I had bought the Smartphone Experts car charger from crackberry because it was cheaper. Got what I paid for. The lightning bolt showed, the charge didn't decrease, but it didn't increase at all over an hour. Battery got pretty warm. Bought a new charger from Verizon, and it charges just fine now.
    11-18-09 01:48 PM
    I am having the same issue with my Tour. The green light on the charger doesn't come on anymore. I've done absolutely nothing different from what I did last night (it charged perfectly fine then). Although, the charger does feel a bit loose when plugged in now.
    12-01-09 11:34 AM
    Check to make sure that the contact points on the part of the plug that goes into the vehicle port are clean and shiny. If necessary, scrape them with a knife edge when disconnected from the car-port.

Dm
    12-01-09 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD