Apologies if a thread about this already exists - searched and could not find anything . .

My Bold will INTERMITTENTLY not charge when on a car charger (tried two different car chargers - both are brand new, and both are BB brand - also tried in both my cars to rule out a questionable 12V source). I know it is getting DC because BBLight keeps the display lit when connected, but after a few minutes of charging, the charging stops. If I bring the phone inside and connect to my wall charger, it starts charging - then I return to the car, it will charge for a few minutes and then stop (and so on, and so on . . )

I uninstalled BBLight to see if this was the cause - no difference.

If anyone has experienced this and found a cure, I would truly appreciate some info.
    05-15-09 09:24 PM
    That's odd. Maybe there is something up with your port on your phone? But I guess you would have said that SOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... I would assume that it's because the car charger is a joke (hehehe) when I use mine, it barely charges it, too. Basically it's only good for NOT letting it die, just holding the same life in it. Maybe someone else has had a similar experience though.
    05-15-09 09:27 PM
    I got a "high output" charger for my car for my iRiver back in the day, and it's still less effective with the Bold than a wall charger... but it gets the job done. I can gain a good 25% or so in a 15-20 minute drive to work.
    05-15-09 11:02 PM
    I've been using the car charger since November and it works fine. I'm still using the one I got from Verizon for my old Razor. It charges fully with no problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 11:09 PM
    I too use a car charger from an old Razr.

I am going to disagree with BlueFyre though. It does charge it, albeit not as quickly as a wall charger would. Just like the USB cable.

Is there possibly something wrong with your car's cigarette lighter or the way it's plugged in? In a previous vehicle of mine, the location of the cigarette lighter and the shape of the charger plug sometimes conflicted with each other and it wasn't always that easy to charge my phone.
    05-15-09 11:12 PM
    I can charge my bold up from 10 percent to 95 percent on my way to work
    05-16-09 01:43 AM
    For some reason after my phone locks down after 2 minutes of idle it will charge when
    locked up but when I unlock it sometimes it will charge. Must be the software!

05-16-09 09:53 AM
    Sorry, I was over exadurating. I can charge mine but I would rather just charge it every night and only use the car charger if I absolutley have to.

05-16-09 09:56 AM
    What temp was it inside the car? I can verify that the bold will not charge if the battery temp is over 40/41/02 degrees (when I couldn't car charge the other day the batt temp was 42). Somewhere here I read about the temp/no charge issue.
    05-17-09 05:40 PM
    What temp was it inside the car? I can verify that the bold will not charge if the battery temp is over 40/41/02 degrees (when I couldn't car charge the other day the batt temp was 42). Somewhere here I read about the temp/no charge issue.
    I assume you mean celsius?
    05-17-09 05:42 PM
    That's odd. Maybe there is something up with your port on your phone? But I guess you would have said that SOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... I would assume that it's because the car charger is a joke (hehehe) when I use mine, it barely charges it, too. Basically it's only good for NOT letting it die, just holding the same life in it. Maybe someone else has had a similar experience though.
    I use the BB charger for my vehicle np's and it charges my bold 9000 just as fast as the one for in the house, which it only takes about 1 hour to get around 50% for either of them.

What takes a longtime for me is the USB when it is connected to PC, this takes 3-4 hours to charge.

So of course i don;t allow it sit on PC USB forever as i will use wall unit or when in vehicle i will use the BB changer.
    05-17-09 06:02 PM
    Hi drs555,

Heat MAY have been an issue - 40-42 degrees C = 105-108 degrees F; it was a very hot Southern California day; although I don't know if it was hot enough to make the inside of the Bold as high as 105 F . . but, it could be.

Also - I upgraded to ATT's brand new .438 release . . so far, the charging issue has disappeared . . but time will tell.

Anyway - thanks for the heat tip . .
    05-17-09 07:25 PM
    i have the same problem with my car charger. my back-up GPS works fine, but when my baby is plugged in it goes into beside mode. when i push the return key it shows it's not charging. super weird
    05-17-09 08:43 PM
    Try the Igo brand charger...charges my Bold fine..
    05-17-09 08:50 PM
    Hi drs555,

Heat MAY have been an issue - 40-42 degrees C = 105-108 degrees F; it was a very hot Southern California day; although I don't know if it was hot enough to make the inside of the Bold as high as 105 F . . but, it could be.

Also - I upgraded to ATT's brand new .438 release . . so far, the charging issue has disappeared . . but time will tell.

Anyway - thanks for the heat tip . .
    I am sure that the temp is read in celsius. And my phone wasn't that warm to the touch (outside temp was only high 70's), but the batt temp was up there.
    05-17-09 11:06 PM
    haha whats funny is when I had Verizon, I had a pink Razor and the charger was the same as my BB Bold. And I usually don't ever have to charge my phone in the car. Which is why I didn't go buy one. But I needed it charged one day and remembered that I still had my Verizon one still. And is works like a charm. Thanks Verizon lol
    05-18-09 12:55 AM
    Apologies if a thread about this already exists - searched and could not find anything . .

My Bold will INTERMITTENTLY not charge when on a car charger (tried two different car chargers - both are brand new, and both are BB brand - also tried in both my cars to rule out a questionable 12V source). I know it is getting DC because BBLight keeps the display lit when connected, but after a few minutes of charging, the charging stops. If I bring the phone inside and connect to my wall charger, it starts charging - then I return to the car, it will charge for a few minutes and then stop (and so on, and so on . . )

I uninstalled BBLight to see if this was the cause - no difference.

If anyone has experienced this and found a cure, I would truly appreciate some info.
    Are you using a cigarette lighter receptacle or a receptacle that's designed for continuous output? If it's a cigarette lighter receptacle some cars will shut this output off after a given time.
    05-18-09 01:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD