Morning.
    I had a question about the Bold' resolution and wallpaper clarity.
    I been browsing the wallpaper threads and finding some great wallpapers.
    But as soon as I load them up on my Bold, they aren't as crisp as when I was looking at them on the screen on my computer.
    All the color transitions look pixilated, in the picture. Its kind-a hard to explain. The pictures colors are not smooth through out the entire picture. Its like when your looking at your computer monitor's wallpaper, but your looking at it before you install your video card drivers. (sorry that's the only way I can think to explain it).
    I thought it had to do with the wallpapers that I was looking at, but everybody on the wallpaper threads I was browsing were saying they looked great.
    I'm still using OS 4.6.0.167 (its the OS that came on my phone), will an upgrade to a newer OS solve the problem?

This is a refurbished BB Bold from AT&T, but I've never had problems with refurbished phone before.
    Other than the wallpapers looking granulated, the phone is perfect. All the reviews of the Bolds display being amazing, was one of the reasons I got it. Its been actually kind of a let down.
    Any help on this would be great....thanks in advance.
    03-03-09 11:20 AM
    Morning.
    I had a question about the Bold' resolution and wallpaper clarity.
    I been browsing the wallpaper threads and finding some great wallpapers.
    But as soon as I load them up on my Bold, they aren't as crisp as when I was looking at them on the screen on my computer.
    All the color transitions look pixilated, in the picture. Its kind-a hard to explain. The pictures colors are not smooth through out the entire picture. Its like when your looking at your computer monitor's wallpaper, but your looking at it before you install your video card drivers. (sorry that's the only way I can think to explain it).
    I thought it had to do with the wallpapers that I was looking at, but everybody on the wallpaper threads I was browsing were saying they looked great.
    I'm still using OS 4.6.0.167 (its the OS that came on my phone), will an upgrade to a newer OS solve the problem?

This is a refurbished BB Bold from AT&T, but I've never had problems with refurbished phone before.
    Other than the wallpapers looking granulated, the phone is perfect. All the reviews of the Bolds display being amazing, was one of the reasons I got it. Its been actually kind of a let down.
    Any help on this would be great....thanks in advance.
    When you load the default theme, does the theme picture look OK? If so, you may be trying to load a picture that is too large, (file size). I haven't experienced this on my Bold, but on my wife's digital picture frame, we noticed a similar result and it turned out to be a couple of pics that were about 100MB each. Resizing them down to something more reasonable allowed them to display properly. If this is not the issue, then I'm not sure which direction to go.

Bryan
    03-03-09 01:27 PM
    The main question is are the wallpapers you are using actually 480x320?

If you use lower res wallpapers for lower res devices they will scale up and look like crap.
    03-03-09 02:48 PM
    Yep. If you use high res pictures, you'll get a better result. So search for Large or Extra Large pictures.
    03-03-09 05:06 PM
    Have you tried getting a couple of wallpapers off of this site? They are all the right resolution for the Bold and look great.
    03-03-09 05:13 PM
    But you'll also get poor results if you try to downscale incorrectly.

For the final image as a Bold wallpaper it should be exactly 480x320 pixels, and no upscaling (from smaller). Downsized images should be resized by resampling in a proper graphics program.

Remember you can't have half a dot on the screen, the picture only works properly at its native resolution. If you want to see what I mean, try messing with the Windows screen resolution and watch the text below the icons go fuzzy.
    03-03-09 05:17 PM
    Branta's right (as always...). I usually use PhotoShop to get it right on the money. If I'm away from my home computer, I can either use CB and upload a picture to the free wallpaper maker (usually works really well) or I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager (if I'm feeling really ghetto...).
    03-03-09 05:21 PM
    Thanks for all the great feed back.
    I'll try getting a few wallpapers here.

I thought I had gotten a few pictures here, but I'll try another few.
    I know the pictures that came on the Bold, preloaded, look fantastic and super crisp. So it has got to be the pictures I'm choosing.
    Being that I dont have the software to do the image scaling myself. I'll just my luck with more images from this site.

Thanks again everybody.
    03-04-09 09:40 AM
    Thanks for all the great feed back.
    I'll try getting a few wallpapers here.

I thought I had gotten a few pictures here, but I'll try another few.
    I know the pictures that came on the Bold, preloaded, look fantastic and super crisp. So it has got to be the pictures I'm choosing.
    Being that I dont have the software to do the image scaling myself. I'll just my luck with more images from this site.

Thanks again everybody.
    Try this site to re size images from your PC:

BlackBerry Wallpaper Generator | BlackBerry Cool
    03-04-09 09:41 AM
    Branta's right (as always...). I usually use PhotoShop to get it right on the money. If I'm away from my home computer, I can either use CB and upload a picture to the free wallpaper maker (usually works really well) or I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager (if I'm feeling really ghetto...).
    I won't claim to be "always right" about anything (except superiority of UK beer)

Any photo editor should do the job, but beginners can expect multiple failures at least in the early stages of learning. The crucial test is to upload and display the image on the correct subspecies of BlackBerry.
    03-04-09 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD