I am trying to get ready for the release of the Bold after waiting all summer and I'd like to have a good case on hand once the Bold is released. The Bold will be my first BB and I'm hopeful that it will finally be released sometime next month in the U.S. I have heard reports from people that the Bold is a little on the fragile side and I'm a big supporter of protecting my phone as I'm not always as careful as I should be. I have a history of droping my phone. I'm notorious for laying it in my lap while driving and forgetting it's there only to get out of the car and have it hit the ground. I'm just wondering what the best protective option is for the Bold. It would be most helpful to hear it from those who may already own the Bold in other parts of the world. My primary concern is to protect the screen and to get the best protection against drops. I've tried to do a little research and here's what I found so far:

1. Otter Box: While I've never used an Otter box case, it appears that it may provide the best protection. Although, it looks extremely bulky and huge in my opinion. Anyone have any experience with this case? Also anyone know the difference between the Defender Series that is pictured on the site and the Impact Series not yet pictured? Maybe the Impact Series will be less bulky and a little easier on the eyes.

2. Invisible Sheild/Bodyguardz Skins: I've also never used these. Because it is something that "sticks" to the phone and has to be applied by me, I am hesitant to try them as I would want one to cover the whole phone. I am terrified of screwing up my Bold by not applying it correctly. Also, this option alone would not provide me any protection against drops. I just don't like the idea of permanently "altering" a brand new phone.

3. Skin Case: While protecting against drops there is no screen protection. If I were to use this case, I would want to use an Invisible Shield to at least protect the screen in addition to the skin case.

4. Holsters: Aren't really practical for me as I would take it out of the holster and drop it.

So, with all that being said, I am leaning toward the Otter Box case, but am concerned that it is too bulky. Just wondering what Bold users are finding to work best and to see if anyone has anyother suggestions. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any comments.
    09-11-08 02:47 PM
    Kevin reviewed the Seido crystal case with holster and it got a great overall score. I am waiting for Seido to make the same case for the Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-08 03:10 PM
    Yeah sedio makes great cases for my curve. Go with a sedio if you still want the device to be sleek and stylish as it was meant to be but still get the protection that you need

09-11-08 05:57 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I had not heard about those cases. I think I will probably pair one of those cases with a screen guard and I should be good to go.
    09-12-08 10:00 AM
    Otter Box cases are HUGE and terribly ugly. My buddy has one for this Curve that he takes with him on camping trips and such. Ewwww! "Gag me with a spoon!"

09-12-08 10:03 AM
    BlackBerry Bold Defender Series // OtterBox.com

This doesn't look too bad, but darned expensive.
    09-12-08 10:13 AM
    ya, that's pretty fugly. good protection though. And expensive.

09-12-08 10:20 AM
    Hi all,

Well my PDAir case arrived today and as always is just great that and the Martin Fields Screen protector will ensure my Bold stays in perfect condition right up until i sell it.

Marc
    09-12-08 02:58 PM
    Hi all,

Well my PDAir case arrived today and as always is just great that and the Martin Fields Screen protector will ensure my Bold stays in perfect condition right up until i sell it.

Marc

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of these. The PDair cases look more like my style. I'm liking the "sleeve type" case because of the built-in screen protector. Anyone know if the "book type" or "flip type" cases also have the built-in protector? I would assume that they do since they are made similarily, but it doesn't mention it on their product pages. The only thing that scares me about these is the fact that it appears that these cases don't really protect the edges well except for the "flip type" case and since the silver edge on the Bold is plastic and not metal, I can see myself scratching or denting it easily. At least I have more options than I initally thought I had and I'm sure more will follow once it is released. I just want to have something on-hand when I walk out of the store with it. Anyone have any other suggestions or advice? Oh, decisions, decisions. . .
    Last edited by UMRebel; 09-12-08 at 04:43 PM.
    09-12-08 03:34 PM
    Hi UMrebel,

The flip case does indeed have protection for the screen and the Bold sits within the case with cuts out for the buttons so the sides are actually protected. I have been using PDAir cases for a couple of years now and none of my devices have suffered any damage, plus i use the car suction mount for my in car solution to.

Marc
    09-12-08 04:49 PM
    Thanks for the info Dogmann. I think you have sold me on the flip case and the car mount. I didn't even notice the car mount. This would be a great solution for me as I tend to just lay my phone in my lap during my commute to/from work and I always forget about it only to get out and have it drop to the ground. Now, let me ask a very stupid question. Do you typically leave your phone in the flip case while talking on it and if so, doesn't the magnetic flap that hangs down from the bottom of the case get in the way?

Ok, I'm getting excited now. I'll probably get the PDair Flip Case and Car Mount and will get a Seidio Crystal Case later once they develop one for the Bold. Gosh, I WANT MY BOLD NOW!
    Last edited by UMRebel; 09-12-08 at 09:08 PM.
    09-12-08 08:40 PM
    I've got a flip case and its very protective but I want something that will show off how beautiful it is. Waiting for a skin and screen protector.
    09-13-08 06:08 AM
    @UMrebel

I just leave the Bold in the case all the time as i don't find the flip bothers me at all but i can't guarantee it won't bother you. Also i have just had delivered a Bold desktop stand that i don't need to take the Bold out of the case to rest on or charge it. I'll try and get round to taking some pictures of it and the case and posting them.

Marc
    09-13-08 06:15 AM
    Where did you buy your stand from Dogmann?... and yes, some pictures would be nice!
    09-13-08 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD