Lately my Bold has been losing data connection and displaying the lower case gprs instead of the all caps GPRS while I'm in Terciera, Portugal. Everyday since Friday I have be conducting a hard reset (taking out the battery and putting it back in) to get a GPRS all caps connection. Then, the next day the gprs is back to lower caps. Then, I perform another reset. This happens with Optimus P network. And sometimes I'm able to get Vondafone P network for a 3G connection, and then it goes back to GPRS connection. But, this is okay, but the gprs is not okay.

I have had my Bold for about three weeks and this problem started happening about 10 days after being in Portugal. I didn't have this problem with my BB 8820 while I was in Portugal.

Any suggestions.

JR
    01-12-09 07:41 PM
    excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between lower and upper case gprs? is one faster?
    01-12-09 08:36 PM
    I think lower case indicates that your phone is not connected to blackberry (data wise) so new emails wont be coming in, etc.
    01-12-09 08:53 PM
    Correct, when the gprs is all lower case, I do not have a data connection; therefore, I can't read new e-mails. When the GPRS is all caps, then I'm connected.

But, I need to know why does the lower case keep popping up on the network. It is tiresome taking the battery out and back in to hard reset the network.

I love the simple life/operations as my BB8820 use to give me, but I really do like the Bold. It's definitely "Bold" like me/my lifestyle.

JR
    01-13-09 09:59 AM
    hey! I am in Portugal/am Portuguese, and my operator is Vodafone.

Where I am right now, I have full 3G with data connection on.

Does your connection come, and go? Or is it off all the time?

Cumprimentos,

01-13-09 10:33 AM
    Hello.

I'm on Terciera Island near the Air Force Base and most of the time I'm using the P Optimus network which is GPRS (all caps which is good). But, sometimes my network switches to Vodafone P with 3G connection, which is great, of course.

The BB tech told me that sometimes that happens because the network is switching and the Bold switches a little slower than the BB 8820 I had a month ago. This causes my data connection to go to lower case gprs, which means I can't receive e-mails.

So far so good, I went through a full day without any problems.

JR
    01-14-09 04:53 AM
    ohhhh so you are roaming. not much help I can give you there.

good luck!
    01-14-09 09:07 AM
    My BOld is working fine in Vodafone
    03-17-09 01:54 PM
    just the thread i'm looking for.

i'm planning on coming to portugal for 2.5 months (mid-may through july) and have some questions about connectivity.

ideally, i'd get a "pre-paga" SIM with BB data, but i can't seem to find anything like that on the voda/TMN site, only pre-paid phone. do you know of any operator providing the BB data option on pre-paid?

i also plan on getting a pre-paid 3G stick for my laptop, probably with TMN as well (they seem to have the best rates). i will absolutely need internet connection in porto, portimao, and valpacos - porto and portimao definitely are good for connections, but anyone know what valpacos is like? the TMN coverage map looks like it was made by a 2nd-grade student with crayons, so it's hard to tell.

any help is appreciated.
    03-17-09 02:01 PM
    i have a pre paid data solution from Vodafone Portugal
    but my major carrier is TMN since the try to put me problems just get BB data from Vodafone
    03-17-09 02:21 PM
    you are welcome in Portugal
    03-17-09 02:21 PM
    Go to Mobile Network Connections and set it to choose network manually. I have to do this a lot when traveling abroad.
    03-18-09 11:11 AM
    Slightly off-topic I'm afraid, but while all these nice helpful Portugese users are here, perhaps they can offer me some advice.

I currently have an unlimited Blackberry data plan with O2 here in the UK, but will shortly be visiting Portugal, and would love to be able to be able to use my Bold whilst I am there, without paying a fortune on roaming costs etc.

Is ir possible to purchase a short term pay-as-you-go SIM to use while I am in Portugal, or is there a cheaper or better solution?

Thanks!
    03-18-09 11:21 AM
    Slightly off-topic I'm afraid, but while all these nice helpful Portugese users are here, perhaps they can offer me some advice.

I currently have an unlimited Blackberry data plan with O2 here in the UK, but will shortly be visiting Portugal, and would love to be able to be able to use my Bold whilst I am there, without paying a fortune on roaming costs etc.

Is ir possible to purchase a short term pay-as-you-go SIM to use while I am in Portugal, or is there a cheaper or better solution?

Thanks!
    that was my question.

i have a pre paid data solution from Vodafone Portugal
    but my major carrier is TMN since the try to put me problems just get BB data from Vodafone
    of course, for other-network SIMs to work in your phone, your phone has to be unlocked.
    03-18-09 11:41 AM
    @dsac... Sorry, on reading back I can see that we are both more or less after the same thing, I will have to have a chat with O2 first I think!

Out of interest, does anyone know if O2 Bolds are unlocked or not?
    03-18-09 01:07 PM
    doubt very much that they come unlocked - you'll probably have to pay (usually ~$20).

i sent an email to Vodafone, and just got this reply:

Our pre-paid SIM cards are available in any Vodafone store for the price of 9,90 euros. These cards have an inicial credit of 5 euros, plus 5 euros when you first load it.

We offer a pricing plan for internet and e-mail access, specially for Blackberry. To learn the details of this pricing plan click on the following link, BlackBerry da Vodafone
    under the option 'Tarif�rio'.

To activate this pricing plan you must have a compatible Blackberry model and choose one of the following general pricing plans (for calls and text messages):

Vita 91 SMS, Vita 91 Extreme or Yorn Power Extravaganza https://loja.vodafone.pt/tarifarios/vitaminas/

The area of Valpa�os in Vila Real is covered by our 3G network, so you will be able to use our pre-paid internet service, called VitaNet

For more information on VitaNet please click on the following link Tarifário
    i've tried going through their site to find out exactly what the price would be, but i'm PSL (portuguese-second-language)...
    03-18-09 04:15 PM
    let me know what you want translated. Portuguese is my first language.
    03-18-09 05:07 PM
    i think and depends on the time u spent in Portugal but rooming its the best away
    03-18-09 05:44 PM
    I think lower case indicates that your phone is not connected to blackberry (data wise) so new emails wont be coming in, etc.
    Correct...fix for this is go to Options then Mobile Network, then make sure Data Services is "On"
    03-18-09 07:02 PM
    hello:

Did anybody find the solution for the lower case gprs in vodafone portugal? I started having the same issue about 3 days ago with my 8900, and tech support says the problem is my hardware, which I don't believe, since today I tried with an unlocked 8700 and it has the same problem.
    I'm unable to register to the network, meaning not getting the host routing tables, therefore impossible to receive my service books, anybody help?
    06-05-09 03:28 PM
    I think the problem with the upper case, lower case and 3G depends on your location and your reception, I doubt it has anything to do with your BB, it's the network, happens to me all the time, when I change location the signal changes, so don't worry you dont have to reset your BB everytime.

As long as the mobile carrier in Portugal supports the BB service, you should be fine. For example some countries don't that's when you'd have a problem and you're completely cut off the BlackBerry network.

Hope that helps

Ruby
    06-05-09 03:55 PM
    So you do agree with me that it is not my blackberry's fault but rather a vodafone thing? they keep saying it is my phone that is broken, unfortunately for me I bought on ebay=no warranty.
    It is strange that now it does not work at all in locations where it always did, and that my friends that also have vodafone can use it while they are standing right next to me.
    I have contacted vodafone again and they will replace my sim card to see what happens.
    Do you know of any workaround for this?
    06-05-09 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD