I am trying to mount my new bold in my car but dont like any of the options in the market. I want to know those of you that have the desktop Blackberry dock part #ASY-14396-003, if it charges the Bold when the mini-USB port on the dock is plugged into a normal 12v DC car adpater?

If it works with DC power, my goal is to combine this dock and a mount kit to create a vehicle mounted charging base without the need to look at a plug jammed in the side of the bold. I am going for a minimal clean looking dock.

Thanks in advance for the info. I will share all info with the forum once completed. Take Care.

dc
    04-03-09 12:09 PM
    It should work, the dock only take the power from the pins in the mini USB and runs them to the nodes on the side of the charger. With that said, it would make a very poor car dock as the phone barely sits in the dock. If it's used part of a modification, it could be pretty nice. I would be interested in the final outcome.
    04-03-09 12:15 PM
    I agree with bt224. It sould work fine. I use the Bury cradle in my truck. The external antenna is a big help in the rural area in which I live. Post some pics when you get done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 12:24 PM
    ALL BlackBerrys are charged from a 5Volt source. DO NOT use 12Volt (13.2 actually) from a car. You will 100% guaranteed fry your phone.

I am not familiar with the cradle you have but unless this is specifically made for vehicle mounting, use only the original Blackberry wall charger (red its label) or a 5Volt, voltage stabilized car charger.
    04-03-09 12:29 PM
    ALL BlackBerrys are charged from a 5Volt source. DO NOT use 12Volt (13.2 actually) from a car. You will 100% guaranteed fry your phone.

I am not familiar with the cradle you have but unless this is specifically made for vehicle mounting, use only the original Blackberry wall charger (red its label) or a 5Volt, voltage stabilized car charger.
    Pete, wouldn't the OEM car charger already steps down the voltage to 5V, and since it uses the miniUSB and the base only redirects the current, it should work, correct?
    04-03-09 12:31 PM
    Thanks for the warning Pete. I'll let you know when my Bold battery kicks the bucket from being connected to my $4.99 7-11 store charger. So far no problems since Nov. 08 and on the charger or cradle charger EVERY day ALL day. Glad my Bold came with the fancy onboard battery monitor.

04-03-09 12:42 PM
    The charging pod simply takes power and puts it to the contacts, yes. It will work with the wall charger, that's how I use mine. And it looks so lovely softly lit with the time on my night stand. As far as a car charger I use a motorola charger with no problems. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you don't have OEM BlackBerry equipment (car charger, usb cord).

04-03-09 12:42 PM
    Thanks for the warning Pete. I'll let you know when my Bold battery kicks the bucket from being connected to my $4.99 7-11 store charger. So far no problems since Nov. 08 and on the charger or cradle charger EVERY day ALL day. Glad my Bold came with the fancy onboard battery monitor.

Pete's one of the most respected people on this forum. Instead of being a smart*ss, maybe have a conversation. The guy knows what he's talking about. After I reread the OP, I can see where Pete may have thought the guy was about to directly wire the pod to 12V, which would be very bad. Pete never mentioned it would be bad to use a car charger.
    04-03-09 12:47 PM
    I saw that someone was trying to connect 12V to a BlackBerry and posted quickly hoping to avoid a disaster, which there would have been.

If you are using a properly constructed charger ($4.99 is fine) that has a built-in voltage regulator (usually an LM05 chip) that takes the incoming 13.2 volts and regulates this down to the 5 volts that USB devices need then, you will be fine. This step was not clear to me when I posted.

In the case of truck that often use 24 volt electrics, then you'd need to make sure that the cigarette lighter does, in fact deliver a nominal 12 volts and not 24 - ouch.

I mentioned that a car runs at 13.2 volts and here's why. A single lead/acid cell (used in almost all automobiles that have starter motors) delivers 2.2 volts. When you put six of these in series then you get 6 x 2.2 = 13.2 volts when fully charged.
    04-03-09 01:03 PM
    Pete, wouldn't the OEM car charger already steps down the voltage to 5V, and since it uses the miniUSB and the base only redirects the current, it should work, correct?
    Some cigar socket charges either step down or (better) are voltage regulated. Others (hi there ebay sellers) may not be. I used to have one that did not even have a fuse in it so it dropped the full car battery output on a wire inside the car. Nice.

When dealing with sensitive bits of electronics for in-car use, it is worthwhile checking that the charger is properly voltage regulated.

I bough one that had a USB socket on the end and the box was clearly marked USB 5V output. I had a look inside and it had a proper chip regulator in there so I was pretty happy.
    04-03-09 01:10 PM
    Some cigar socket charges either step down or (better) are voltage regulated. Others (hi there ebay sellers) may not be. I used to have one that did not even have a fuse in it so it dropped the full car battery output on a wire inside the car. Nice.

When dealing with sensitive bits of electronics for in-car use, it is worthwhile checking that the charger is properly voltage regulated.

I bough one that had a USB socket on the end and the box was clearly marked USB 5V output. I had a look inside and it had a proper chip regulator in there so I was pretty happy.
    Thanks for the clarification. As mentioned above, I use an old Motorola unit an it has served me well.
    04-03-09 01:13 PM
    it would make a very poor car dock as the phone barely sits in the dock.
    I'll say. It's hard enough just keeping it in the pod when it's sitting on the desk and you're just pushing a couple of keys to check email that's come in. The first time you hit the brakes or make a turn, it will go flying out of the pod.
    04-03-09 01:21 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. As mentioned above, I use an old Motorola unit an it has served me well.
    Motorola chargers seem to work well with Blackberrys. Of course, Motorola are a respected electronics manufacturer and you weould therefore expect them to do it right.

I just realized why I reacted so quickly with my first post. It was the title of this thread. I was browsong, doing the mod thang when I saw "12v" thought, "Sh!t, oh dear" and posted kwik.
    04-03-09 01:30 PM
    Motorola chargers seem to work well with Blackberrys. Of course, Motorola are a respected electronics manufacturer and you weould therefore expect them to do it right.

I just realized why I reacted so quickly with my first post. It was the title of this thread. I was browsong, doing the mod thang when I saw "12v" thought, "Sh!t, oh dear" and posted kwik.
    Good catch. Overall I think the OP has a good idea. I'll be interested to see the final product. I did something similar with my iPod and it's great.
    04-03-09 01:33 PM
    Have the Bold Stand in vehicle with accessory tap below dash (regulated and fused) works great. Mostly in dock while on freeway, has launched out more than once but not far and into padded area. Kinda nice that the Dock doesn't engage to firmly so the trauma is limited to the landing zone.

- Pete you are truly CLASS A - sincerely respect your contributions. More than just your obvious knowledge and interest your temperment is a welcome refreshment.
    04-03-09 02:52 PM
    I was thinking the same thing as Pete when I read the title.
    04-03-09 03:20 PM
    I do not always write what I think .
    04-03-09 04:12 PM

I too use an old Motorola charger and it works great. It's a good point you had about cheap car chargers.. they can and do damage phones. I learned that lesson the hard way a couple years ago.
    04-03-09 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD