Say I have a flash USB drive, or a watch, and I put it in the same pocket as I do my blackberry case (I don't use the holster). Will it get ruined?

This happened on my brand new USB Drive. It was sticking to my case's sleeper magnet the whole day and I didn't even notice. Now the USB Drive is having problems saving and is slower then usual (Maybe the slower then usual thing is just in my head :P)
    09-07-08 09:46 AM
    There should be no possible side effects as flash drives are not magnetic storage devices (unlike hard drives). I would venture a guess that its either coincidental or just in your head
    09-08-08 10:55 AM
    The tiny magnet in the holster is only just powerful enough to activate the sensor insde the BlackBerry when it is within 1/4" . It is a very weak magnet which is unlikely to affect anything except an old casette tape when the tape is presses up against the tape.

As devnull rightly points out, USB flash memory drives are non-magnetic devices and will not be affected by any magnet that you would have in your pocket.

Whatever has happened to your USB drive is not a result of proximity to a BlackBerry magnetic holser. Of this I am sure.
    09-08-08 11:08 AM
    The tiny magnet in the holster is only just powerful enough to activate the sensor insde the BlackBerry when it is within 1/4" . It is a very weak magnet which is unlikely to affect anything except an old casette tape when the tape is presses up against the tape.
    Good to know! Thank you.
    09-10-08 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD