Works fine while charging for me when the folder is in the device storage. Now I have something to do with that 1GB! Seriously though, I can't keep my phone unlocked all day so I can only really test in smal spurts and at night after work until it starts to work in the background.

The basic functionality is something I've been looking for for a while on the Bold though, so I'm gonna stick with it and keep giving updates. I'd like it if it scrolled or starte hiding the highest levels of the folder path when your path to your wallpaper folder is deep. You can't read the name of the folder you're trying to select if it's too many levels deep.

I would like it if it gave an option to schedule the changes and such, but getting it to work in the background while the phone is locked is the most important thing to work out first IMHO.
    I spoke to the developer via e-mail and he said that he cannot get this to work while the phone is locked, in standby, or even in "sleep". That killed it for me as my phone is in one of these stages for half of the day.
    The re-set every time you re-boot is a problem as well.
    But it does shuffle the wallpaper perfectly if you don't do any of the above.
    04-27-09 10:23 PM
    I spoke to the developer via e-mail and he said that he cannot get this to work while the phone is locked, in standby, or even in "sleep".
    Did he tell you he doesn't expect to get that fixed eventually? I got the opposite impression. If it is a permanent problem it will be a deal breaker for me too. I take my phone all over the place with me. I can't leave it unlocked just so my wallpaper will switch by itself. See the thread called "wallet or Bold?" if you need a reason why.
    04-27-09 10:31 PM
    Is it really necessary to have your wallpaper change while charging or in standby? After all you can't even see it during these modes and the phone isn't even in use so what would be the point of the wallpaper changing anyways?
    04-27-09 10:36 PM
    Did he tell you he doesn't expect to get that fixed eventually? I got the opposite impression. If it is a permanent problem it will be a deal breaker for me too. I take my phone all over the place with me. I can't leave it unlocked just so my wallpaper will switch by itself. See the thread called "wallet or Bold?" if you need a reason why.
    Here's his reply:
    I am aware of all the problems you mentioned. They cannot be fixed because RIM does not officially support 3rd party developers to change the background. So these are the limitations, they cannot be fixed. I will probably release it as freeware so that users can't complain about it. Its as good as it can get now, it sucks that RIM does not give us more APIs.
    04-27-09 10:36 PM
    Is it really necessary to have your wallpaper change while charging or in standby? After all you can't even see it during these modes and the phone isn't even in use so what would be the point of the wallpaper changing anyways?
    I have my phone set to go into Standby after being idle for 10 minutes. You have to set the Wallpaper Shuffler to shuffle every 60 minutes or more or it will burn up your battery. Basically for this app to work your phone has to be dark and not being used. If you are on the browser it will not shuffle, nor will it shuffle while in your pocket (locked or sleeper magnet). So in theory you are right but in practice it does not function.
    04-27-09 10:44 PM
    Huh, it can definitely be done, because I just discovered that VisualArts did it.

EDIT: taken to PM.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 04-27-09 at 11:08 PM.
    04-27-09 10:46 PM
    Well obviously it will burn your battery. Wouldn't everything else when you use it? And as the user before showed he did it every 5 minutes for 2 hours and only killed 5% (I believe it was) of his battery. That's not a lot at all.
    It's functional, if you want it to be.
    Last edited by FTWrath; 04-27-09 at 11:37 PM.
    04-27-09 11:21 PM
    Well obviously it will burn your battery. Wouldn't everything else when you use it? And as the user before showed he did it every 5 minutes for 2 hours and only killed 5% (I believe it was) of his battery. That's not a lot at all.
    It's functional, if you want it to be.
    Actually, been using it for a couple days now. I set it to change every minute to test the battery drain, by the end of a single day of use I was only down two bars or approx 65%. My memory drained so little I would call it negligible.

Yes the battery drains, but not nearly as much if I let GoogleMaps/Flycast/UltraPodcastPlayer run in the background all day. Those are power intensive apps, WallpaperShuffle is not.

I never lock or standby my phone, it is on all the time. 100% brightness, 30 second dim, auto dim as well. I solved the charging issue by switching to Mass Storage Mode to prompt, then I select no when I am just charging, that way it still shuffles. So the above mentioned issues don't bother me.

The only issue I had was after I switched to 1 min shuffle, I would bring the home screen from dim, the shuffled picture would be in the media player? Then I would have to exit from the media player and it would pop up a second time. After I closed it a second time it would change the wallpaper. Slightly annoying.

Yes, still a little buggy. :s
    04-29-09 02:13 PM
    The only issue I had was after I switched to 1 min shuffle, I would bring the home screen from dim, the shuffled picture would be in the media player? Then I would have to exit from the media player and it would pop up a second time. After I closed it a second time it would change the wallpaper. Slightly annoying.
    This is usually due to selecting your folder or starting the app using the trackball. Make sure you're using the enter key.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 02:20 PM
    This is usually due to selecting your folder or starting the app using the trackball. Make sure you're using the enter key.
    Yes, I realise the enter button was to be used for setup, that is what I did.

The symptoms I described were for when the app was ALREADY setup and running in the background. AFTERWARDS, the wallpaper would show up in the Media Player, not on the homescreen.
    04-29-09 02:25 PM
    The symptoms I described were for when the app was ALREADY setup and running in the background. AFTERWARDS, the wallpaper would show up in the Media Player, not on the homescreen.
    Hmm... I haven't seen that behavior, but as I said, I've only been able to test sporadically as my phone needs to be locked at work. I'm hoping my PM about VisualArts auto wallpaper switcher gives Fabian some clues about the APIs... it's able to run fine on my 5.0 Bold, completely in the background, locked or not, with no perceptable battery drain or memory issue.
    04-29-09 02:29 PM
    Hello,
    BlackBerry OS 4.6 or any other non-4.7-OS does not OFFICIALLY allow 3rd party developers to change the Background Image. There is simply no API to do that! VisualArts (ToySoft's) and WallpaperShuffle (my app) for the BlackBerry Storm can use that API because it runs on 4.7!

Now, because a lot of Bold-Users asked for it, I tried to port it over to 'your' OS. It uses key injection to change the background image - So I must admit it's a not so nice workaround - BUT IT WORKS. Surely, the application will actually not be able to be sold commercially since it does not work when locked or keylocked.

I am thinking about just releasing it as freeware or beta. The functions it has are already as good as it can get (on OS 4.6)! There is just no way to let it change the background when the device is locked or so.

@digitalb0y I hope I answered your PM with this post aswell.

Best,
    -Fabian
    04-30-09 12:28 AM
    That's awesome.

I hope you don't take our testing notes/experiences as slamming your programming abilities.

You have made a slick little app that will mostly fit the bill for those who are crazy about their wallpapers. Keep up the good work Fab!

04-30-09 12:33 AM
    ill give it a shot

vtak at me dot com
    04-30-09 12:46 AM
    crud monkeys late to the party will if there's a chance in iPhone **** my email is [email protected]
    04-30-09 12:54 AM
    That does answer my questions, Fabian. Thanks for your hard work, and for allowing me to test for you. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do with it!
    04-30-09 01:45 AM
    That does answer my questions, Fabian. Thanks for your hard work, and for allowing me to test for you. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do with it!
    Thank YOU guys for testing. I will release it as freeware soon.

04-30-09 02:19 AM
    Hey BBA I would love to test it. Even feature it with a video tutorial on my bb blog Free BlackBerry Stuff 'FreeBerry' when you do release it.
    I spend half my day on my bb.
    04-30-09 02:30 AM
    Thank YOU guys for testing. I will release it as freeware soon.
    Thank you Fabian! I appreciate the opportunity to help in the testing of this application!

Keep me in mind for any future ventures.
    04-30-09 11:54 AM
    Fabian,
    I agree with the other guys as well. I appreciate your efforts and it's a shame for RIM's limitations.
    FYI, I've been using (your other app) VibandRing forever and I recommend that to everyone.
    04-30-09 12:00 PM
    i have been lookin for months for any app like this there are none but ur beta version please send
    myst0ne at aol.com

thank u
    06-17-09 08:48 PM
    nnducuy'gmail'com
    11-11-09 11:19 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD