I recently bought the Otterbox Defender case/holster combo and it's awful. The sides are too close and raised too high and it's a real pain to type with.

SO.....what is the best combo around?!?
    12-14-11 02:50 PM
    The Seidio cases & holster are sometimes pretty good. I'm using one of them now, but as soon as possible I'll get a holster without the need for a case.
    12-14-11 04:56 PM
    +1 on the Seidio
    12-14-11 05:08 PM
    Anyone try the Otterbox Commander? I'm awaiting delivery.....will see how it goes
    12-15-11 10:15 AM
    Commander? Never heard of it.
    12-15-11 10:36 AM
    I recently bought the Otterbox Defender case/holster combo and it's awful. The sides are too close and raised too high and it's a real pain to type with.
    I agree 100%--I do NOT recommend an otterbox defender for the 9850. Wish I had been smarter and shopped around for a case...I was too impatient and wanted 'the best'.

Biggest issue for me is the holster. For the life of me, I cannot get the phone to secure in the holster. It simply will not fit inside the holster with the rubber shell on, and without the shell, the phone constantly falls out. Wish I could get my money back.
    12-24-11 12:19 PM
    I am using an Incipio Feather skin with the BlackBerry vertical holster. Works well, but I am annoyed about the fact that I am unable to charge the phone inside the holster. Oh, well. Loved my horizontal Storm holster.
    12-24-11 12:38 PM
    I agree 100%--I do NOT recommend an otterbox defender for the 9850. Wish I had been smarter and shopped around for a case...I was too impatient and wanted 'the best'.

Biggest issue for me is the holster. For the life of me, I cannot get the phone to secure in the holster. It simply will not fit inside the holster with the rubber shell on, and without the shell, the phone constantly falls out. Wish I could get my money back.
    Its a pain in the for me to get my phone out of the holster of my otterbox. My biggest complaint is the screen cover. It doesn't cover the whole phone and its really wavey. I removed it so I just use a screen protector.
    As far as typing I haven't had any problems. The case actually feels pretty good.
    I had only typed in landscape with the otterbox. I just tried in portait and noticed the problem with typing using the keys on the edge.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by 13echo4; 12-24-11 at 08:30 PM.
    12-24-11 03:51 PM
    I'm not surprised about the Defender. I actually have the Commuter and am satisfied so far. Doesn't seem to have the same issues. Not sure about a holster but I am thinking myself of a generic leather case to put it in when I need a holster, which isn't often in my situation.
    apg300 likes this.
    12-26-11 03:08 PM
    Phantom Skinz + front pocket
    12-26-11 06:42 PM
    So, I've gone back to my generic case and leather holster. BUT, I did just order a $14 case/holster combo from Amazon. Not sure what it's gonna be like....no good pictures and no reviews. Amazon.com: 3 in 1 Combo Case & Holster for BlackBerry Torch 9850 9860, Black: Electronics

Anybody familiar with this one?
    12-26-11 06:48 PM
    Commander? Never heard of it.
    ........that should read COMMUTER.........not COMMANDER......you misread!!

I got the case.....its cool, not too much bulk, protects well, it comes with a screen protector, allows touching the edges of the screen near the case well.......no belt clip though. I like it. Only thing I noticed the silicone part of the case grabs lint and fuzz easily......that I do not like, otherwise its great!
    12-27-11 08:33 AM
    I'm not surprised about the Defender. I actually have the Commuter and am satisfied so far. Doesn't seem to have the same issues. Not sure about a holster but I am thinking myself of a generic leather case to put it in when I need a holster, which isn't often in my situation.
    I agree. Searched around for feedback on the Defender and found not so great reviews as far as the 9860/9850 is concerned. I'm also getting the Commuter, and possibly just a plain case to put it in.

It seems all the protection the Defender offers has somewhat affected (some might say it's an understatement) access to the functions of the phone. I also read somewhere that the Defender's screen protector tends to collect some dust in between it and the phone's screen, which can affect touchscreen function.

No offense to Otterbox but I think they could have done better in designing the Defender for the 9860/9850.
    12-29-11 03:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD