I had a bold before, and I loved the loud speakers and the loud ringtones. With this phone I have already missed 3 calls on the first day I got it because I was in a mall and didn't hear a thing.

To solve the problem, I have turned Audio boost on, and I have installed new ringtones, but still compare the the same Ringtone, the Bold at level 7 was the same as the Torch as level 10.

The speakers, well they are simply not usable. Way too weak for the car, they can only be used in a quite room... so useless.

Overall, the phone is great (it could use a better processor), but its no big deal. I chose BB because the Bold was such as solid phone. But the volume situation is a deal breaker. I didn't expect a phone that would be less then the Bold. If anything better or the same...

Now I am thinking of leaving BB, and going IPhone... Unless I can fix this issue.

Any help? ideas?
    10-10-10 08:42 PM
    I just hated the ring tones. I found this solution from a fellow bb user here on crackberry. Now my 9800 rings like my 9700

forums.crackberry.com/f209/how-get-standard-5-0-ringtones-9800-a-512846/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 08:47 PM
    I keep seeing these post about how quiet the torch is......i don't understand that. I have a torch and i have 60% loss of hearing in my left ear and 40% in my right and the torch is more than loud enough for me to hear. It doesn't have the stereo speakers that the bold 9000 but the torch is plenty loud enough. Maybe a setting is wrong?
    10-10-10 10:42 PM
    The consensus is that the Torch speakers are too low. The earpiece is OK, but could be louder. The speakerphone is only usable in a quiet room.

10-10-10 10:47 PM
    First of all, I am glad you can hear the phone despite your hearing problem, and I wish you good health.

However if you compare the phone to the Bold you will see it is 3 levels lower. If you are outside or in a mall, you need the extra volume.

Its just that I got used to the Bold, and I was disappointed that the Torch (a better model) would be quitter.

Just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I set the profile to loud, I set the volume to 10 and I put Audio Boost on. I also installed a ringer from the Bold (classic phone), as it was loudest ringtone I can find.

Anyways, my wife said we will have issues if I let go of BBM and go IPhone, so I guess I have to learn to live with it....
    10-10-10 10:51 PM
    First of all, I am glad you can hear the phone despite your hearing problem, and I wish you good health.

However if you compare the phone to the Bold you will see it is 3 levels lower. If you are outside or in a mall, you need the extra volume.

Its just that I got used to the Bold, and I was disappointed that the Torch (a better model) would be quitter.

Just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I set the profile to loud, I set the volume to 10 and I put Audio Boost on. I also installed a ringer from the Bold (classic phone), as it was loudest ringtone I can find.

Anyways, my wife said we will have issues if I let go of BBM and go IPhone, so I guess I have to learn to live with it....
    Couple things..are we talking ring tone volume or earpiece volume? If its ringtone volume may I suggest getting something like BerryBuzz where the vibrate will alert you to any calls..its very customizable and works well. I always keep my phone in my pockets and don't ever rely on the ringtone but rather on the vibrate.

Secondly..if ringtone is a dealbreaker and you want to go iPhone there is an app called Whatsapp that works very similiar to BBM. My wife has an iPhone4 and we mainly use this to "text". Its not quite as foolproof as BBM (we've had issues with hers not sending from the iPhone) and it does cost something like $3 bucks a year..but it might be a solution for you.

10-11-10 01:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD