A properly applied Zagg product having difficulty clinging to my Torch

Following is round two with customer service. Before that, after wasting a lot of time affixing the shield and leaving my device out of commission for an extended period of time as per product instructions, I contacted Zagg customer service. In the first round, intent on securing a refund for the defective product, I allowed them to convince me to accept a replacement at no cost to me and to try to apply it again before giving up. So I followed their instructions, jumped through hoops & completed the online "free" replacement form only to discover the $5.95 "S&H" charge. At that point, I contacted CS again, as follows:

12:56:41 PM : SystemSystem: Cherise T has joined this session!

12:56:41 PM : SystemSystem: Connected with Cherise T. Your reference number for this chat session is 6276.

12:56:41 PM : SystemSystem: Thank you for contacting ZAGG, where we are zealous about great gadgets!

12:56:46 PM : AgentCherise T: Hello, my name is Cherise. How can I assist you today?

12:57:37 PM : Customer: Raline just sent me for a free replacement but it says that there is a $.95 shipping fee

12:57:48 PM : Customer: sorry 5>95

12:58:18 PM : AgentCherise T: Yes, that is correct. As we are sending you a free product as a replacement, we do appreciate you covering the shipping and handling costs.

12:58:46 PM : Customer: nothing doing. you sent me a defective product!

12:59:04 PM : Customer: that is what you are replacing

12:59:25 PM : Customer: also the same shipping last week when I bought it was 1.95

12:59:34 PM : Customer: now 5.95?

12:59:53 PM : Customer: besides the actual poatage paid by you was 1.25

12:59:53 PM : AgentCherise T: I show that your invisibleSHIELD was not adhering to the corners of your device, per your chat with Raline. When installed correctly, the invisibleSHIELD will adhere correctly. Have you looked through our installation tips online?

1:00:12 PM : Customer: yes! followed to the t

1:00:24 PM : AgentCherise T: Have you tried the palming technique on your device?

1:00:37 PM : AgentCherise T: This usually helps quite a bit with edges, specifically corners.

1:00:44 PM : Customer: used the palming technique because the corned on this device is tough

1:01:09 PM : Customer: did that see previous chat

1:01:35 PM : AgentCherise T: I apologize that it did not work for you, if that is the case.

1:02:04 PM : AgentCherise T: It may have been too long after installation that it was tried.

1:02:45 PM : Customer: nope as soon as I saw it wasnt sticking

1:03:03 PM : Customer: I am very dissappointed with your company

1:03:13 PM : AgentCherise T: Again, I apologize if this is the case.

1:03:51 PM : AgentCherise T: While it is standard that customers pay for warranty requests, I will allow a one time only unique shipping code to be used for this warranty request.

1:04:00 PM : AgentCherise T: It will pay for the lowest cost shipping method.

1:04:08 PM : AgentCherise T: On future warranty requests, you will need to pay the shipping and handling costs.

1:04:13 PM : Customer: So I'd like a refund and am writing an article for crackberry

1:04:17 PM : Customer: too late

1:04:33 PM : Customer: to much hassle for a second rate product

1:04:52 PM : Customer: I would have agrred to that and to try again the first time

1:04:53 PM : AgentCherise T: Not a problem. If you would rather have a refund, we can do that for you.

1:05:01 PM : Customer: please do

1:05:09 PM : AgentCherise T: You will need to send the original invisibleSHIELD to us for the refund within 45 days of the purchase date.

1:05:56 PM : AgentCherise T: You will need to generate an RA number from your order history and include this in with your return, as well as your order number so we can locate your account.

1:06:11 PM : Customer: I am posting this conversation on the web

1:06:27 PM : Customer: You guys need to be exposed

1:06:37 PM : AgentCherise T: You are certainly welcome to do so. As I stated before, I will provide you a unique shipping code if you would like.

1:06:52 PM : AgentCherise T: However, if you would rather have a refund, we will do that as well. What ever you would prefer.

1:07:54 PM : Customer: Had you done that in the first place instead of wasting more of my time in addition to the hours instsalling your product I would have accepted.

1:08:12 PM : AgentCherise T: The offer is still open if you change your mind. I apologize for any frustration.

1:08:18 PM : Customer: The run around is inexcusable after the prices you charge

1:08:37 PM : Customer: not to mention an inferior product

1:09:05 PM : AgentCherise T: If you are unsatisfied with the product, we will gladly refund you, as I stated.

1:09:29 PM : AgentCherise T: We will provide a full refund if it is returned.

1:09:36 PM : Customer: Yes after I waste more time and money returning garbage to you

1:10:32 PM : AgentCherise T: Again, I'm sorry for the frustration. Is there anything else I can assist you with during this session?

1:11:13 PM : Customer: Please connect me to a supervisor

1:12:14 PM : AgentCherise T: Of course. One moment, please.

1:15:28 PM : Customer: hello?

1:15:55 PM : AgentCherise T: Yes, I was finding a supervisor for you. I am transferring now, thank you for waiting.

1:16:11 PM : SystemSystem: You are being transferred to another queue. Please stand by...

1:16:11 PM : SystemSystem: Cherise T has left this session!

1:16:12 PM : statusSystem: You are next in queue...

1:16:12 PM : statusSystem: You are next in queue... Estimated wait time is 0 hours 0 minutes 1 seconds

1:16:43 PM : SystemSystem: Sidney C has joined this session!

1:16:44 PM : SystemSystem: Connected with Sidney C. Your reference number for this chat session is 6276.

1:17:30 PM : AgentSidney C: Hello, my name is Sidney and I am happy to help you. Can you please give me a minute to look at the chat and see what happened?

1:18:20 PM : Customer: sure. You may want to glance at the one with Raline before it as well. Also, please note the time that this started.

1:18:49 PM : AgentSidney C: I know, I will be as fast as I can. I want to make sure I understand what happened.
    Last edited by yybenedb; 11-15-10 at 08:56 PM.
    11-10-10 01:34 PM
    Then what? What did Sydney do? Seems that for the $6.00 they wanted to charge, looking at the payroll cost to pay the 3 morons you spoke with- taking 22 minutes just in this session- the company would have been ahead by several dollars just shipping the replacement to you free of charge in the first place. But from what I have read in this forum and others, these "free replacements" generate quite a bit of revenue for Zagg. Not that uncommon a scam, however.
    11-10-10 02:18 PM
    The next time I looked, a while later, he had sent another message to say that he would do nothing as I had not authorized him to do anything. Your description, sad to say, of ZAGG staff sounds accurate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-10 02:57 PM
    I am so sorry to read this thread. I am sorry for the inconvenience that you have experienced and I understand your frustrations fully. I have went ahead and issued a new invisibleSHIELD be sent out to you at no charge to make up for all of the time you have wasted with out live chat operators. Your new order number is: IR2567990. Please accept this invisibleSHIELD as a gift and do not worry about sending anything back. I will make sure your account is noted and that your warranty will remain valid if you are ever in need of a replacement in the future.

Again, I deeply apologize for the issues you have had to deal with. ZAGG takes much pride in our customer service issues so to her this saddens me. If I were in your position I would feel the same way that you do.

Please do not ever hesitate to contact me if I can assist you with anything in the future.

Sonya Gronning
    @ZAGGchick
    ZAGGchick(at)zagg.com
    11-11-10 09:39 AM
    I am so sorry to read this thread. I am sorry for the inconvenience that you have experienced and I understand your frustrations fully. I have went ahead and issued a new invisibleSHIELD be sent out to you at no charge to make up for all of the time you have wasted with out live chat operators. Your new order number is: IR2567990. Please accept this invisibleSHIELD as a gift and do not worry about sending anything back. I will make sure your account is noted and that your warranty will remain valid if you are ever in need of a replacement in the future.

Again, I deeply apologize for the issues you have had to deal with. ZAGG takes much pride in our customer service issues so to her this saddens me. If I were in your position I would feel the same way that you do.

Please do not ever hesitate to contact me if I can assist you with anything in the future.

Sonya Gronning
    @ZAGGchick
    ZAGGchick(at)zagg.com
    It is a shame that the people in the front lines are not better equipped to deal with problems in the first place....
    As was commented above, besides the bad feelings and bad publicity ZAGG has earned, the manpower that your staff put into mishandling this situation surely cost more than the money you would have saved.
    In any case, thanks for trying--after the fact--to rectify matters.
    Last edited by yybenedb; 11-12-10 at 07:48 AM.
    11-11-10 12:10 PM
    Response to the message [which appears to have been deleted(?)] posted to this thread by vulpinetws:
    I accept your criticism to the extent that I could have demonstrated more patience in dealing with them. However, I suspect that had you read the original post, you would have inferred much of the following:
    My frustration was generated by the fact that in my opinion, $5.95 is what the product is worth in the first place......... not $24.00+$1.95. Even with a 50% discount its cost is still double its value.
    Top all that off with blabber from customer service about giving me a code to avoid the charge, this time only........
    Last edited by yybenedb; 11-15-10 at 08:58 PM.
    11-13-10 06:45 PM
    i really dont see a huge deal in the behavior of the zagg employee. You had an issue, they told you they could send a replacement, you started to get all angry and say demeaning things about the company, she continued to apologize, and asked if there was anything else she could do. You asked for a refund, she asked for the product back. thats usually how refunds work.

If you would have gotten your product for free, then its terrible business practice, and they would be losing money hand over fist, as anyone could take advantage of them, and make up lies about products not working, getting a refund, and keeping the zagg shield.

The fact that Sonya posted here, and is doing that for you, is BEYOND customer service, and it isnt required at all. That should fix any misgivings or hostilities you hold towards ZAGG, and this thread should show how ZAGG deals with things, and is willing to take care of issues.

If the supervisor gave you a hard time, and told you "tough", then you might have a bit more of an issue, but i really dont think you got treated badly at all.

Take a look at the Seidio customer service, thats poor business practices to a t.
    11-15-10 01:11 AM
    They can tell through computer records that yybenedb is the actual purchaser and has credit card records in their system, plus additional verification I am sure they asked for at Zagg to verify the original purchase- and any previous history of conversation. This alone would prevent abuse and people "taking advantage" of the guarantee. The aggravating part to him I am sure, was the fact that they wanted to charge $6.00 for a replacement under the terms of their "free" replacement guarantee. If the product worked properly, fewer than 5% of customers would even use the guarantee. Witness mail-in rebates; manufacturers know fewer than 10% of customers will actually apply for rebates, fill out the tedious paperwork properly, meet deadlines, and actually GET the rebate. If the percentage were much higher than that, the company would actually be losing money on the rebate rather than actually MAKE money- which they DO. The cost of the product- the replacement shield- is pennies on the dollar. The correct thing would have been to offer the replacement- in the FIRST PLACE- perhaps at a very MINIMAL shipping charge to actually cover the shipping cost. ZAGG is making a LOT of money on their "free replacement" guarantee by charging $6.00 a pop. Then there is the issue of good will by allowing several operators to waste time and money on the company's part simply to leave a bad impression with the end consumer. One dissatisfied customer loses ten more potential customers- a statistical fact in PRE-INTERNET days. I agree that Zaggchick went the correct route, but it shouldn't have come to that.
    11-15-10 05:27 PM
    With the controversy of sorts regarding Zagg, I just happened by this review of three major, easy to find screen protectors, including Zagg. I am not endorsing the product; I haven't used it- yet. (I ordered one.) The price? FREE- the shipping and handling? $2.85. I assure you they are making SOME profit, even though the product is "free".- and it was rated higher than the Zagg, at least by this reviewer and a couple of people on this board. Kind of puts the $6.00 shipping and handling thing above for a "free replacement guarantee" in a bit of perspective......

the link:

Screen Protector Reviews. Zagg vs Phantom vs Stealth. - Android Forums

NOTE: This is the review with the regular prices. You can find the link to order the free product in another thread in the accessories forum or google search for stealthguard.
    Last edited by garpt; 11-15-10 at 06:10 PM.
    htht and yybenedb like this.
    11-15-10 06:05 PM
    i really dont see a huge deal in the behavior of the zagg employee. You had an issue, they told you they could send a replacement, you started to get all angry and say demeaning things about the company, she continued to apologize, and asked if there was anything else she could do. You asked for a refund, she asked for the product back. thats usually how refunds work.

If you would have gotten your product for free, then its terrible business practice, and they would be losing money hand over fist, as anyone could take advantage of them, and make up lies about products not working, getting a refund, and keeping the zagg shield.

The fact that Sonya posted here, and is doing that for you, is BEYOND customer service, and it isnt required at all. That should fix any misgivings or hostilities you hold towards ZAGG, and this thread should show how ZAGG deals with things, and is willing to take care of issues.

If the supervisor gave you a hard time, and told you "tough", then you might have a bit more of an issue, but i really dont think you got treated badly at all.

Take a look at the Seidio customer service, thats poor business practices to a t.
    Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion. I posted the full interaction so that people could draw their own conclusions.
    11-15-10 09:00 PM
    With the controversy of sorts regarding Zagg, I just happened by this review of three major, easy to find screen protectors, including Zagg. I am not endorsing the product; I haven't used it- yet. (I ordered one.) The price? FREE- the shipping and handling? $2.85. I assure you they are making SOME profit, even though the product is "free".- and it was rated higher than the Zagg, at least by this reviewer and a couple of people on this board. Kind of puts the $6.00 shipping and handling thing above for a "free replacement guarantee" in a bit of perspective......

the link:

Screen Protector Reviews. Zagg vs Phantom vs Stealth. - Android Forums

NOTE: This is the review with the regular prices. You can find the link to order the free product in another thread in the accessories forum or google search for stealthguard.
    Thanks for the support. Your observations are bang on and you did a much better job than I did putting their pricing in perspective.
    11-15-10 09:03 PM
    I've had good encounters with zagg. They may have even saved my iphone. And they sent me a free one and continued every time I sent one back. Untill I stopped sending it back I was no longer able to get it for free

11-19-10 02:36 AM
    OK how about not spending 40 bucks for ZAGG when you can get stealth guard for 2.85... even if turns out to be a peice of ****( which its not) you only lose 2.85... I dont understand why anyone would pay 40 bucks to zagg.

check out this link for the stealth guard one
    Stealth Guards
    11-19-10 09:49 AM
    Honestly, the Zagg employee dealt with you how they should - in fact, it seems like you were being rude. Maybe if you were to have tried being more polite, and attempt to get to a solution instead of "TOO LATE POSTING THIS ONLINE".

Also, dont take this personally - but if I were a sales representative, I probably would have flipped out far sooner, I could barely read your side of the conversation and understand it. Such as:

Customer: nothing doing. you sent me a defective product!

What the heck is "nothing doing". Its hard to prove a point when the point you are trying to make is difficult to understand in the first place.

Just an opinion. Besides that, I have ZAGG products on all my phones including 5 BlackBerry's, I love it - and recommend it to everyone who asks me about screen protectors for any device.
    11-24-10 01:12 AM
    Hahaha I stopped reading after "nothing doing". I work with the public allllll the time and I would have just ignored the whole complaint after apologizing and offering a solution. Ok fine, you don't like the company, don't take it out on the poor rep who's just doing their job. I have a zagg screen protector right now. It didn't stick right the first time, I took it off redid it with a little more solution, its perfect. Had a zagg full body shield on my 8900 and it lasted forever. I'm thinkin you either didn't have enough solution or you tried the palm technique eitherr too soon or too late. I wait about 3-5 min then do it... But everyone has a different expirience I guess.

11-29-10 05:37 PM
    I got my Stealth Guard last week for $2.85. I carefully installed it following the instructional video. I wasn't too optimistic as I received it in a plain letter-size envelope with just the 2 sheets of material and nothing else. However, after careful installation, I found it to be the best screen protector I have ever used- and I have spent over $150.00 through the years (with various employee discounts- closer to $250. at regular retail) on around to a dozen brands and varieties. I've been in the biz a long time. The product is excellent. The trick is FOLLOWING the INSTRUCTIONS on the video. This is the right price for the right product. Most of these screen protectors are ridiculously over priced. At my current retailer, they charge $7.95 just to "professionally" install these overpriced pieces of hi-tech plastic. That would be about $30.00 for the Zagg product plus "professional" installation. A joke.
    11-29-10 11:41 PM
    Honestly, the Zagg employee dealt with you how they should - in fact, it seems like you were being rude. Maybe if you were to have tried being more polite, and attempt to get to a solution instead of "TOO LATE POSTING THIS ONLINE".

Also, dont take this personally - but if I were a sales representative, I probably would have flipped out far sooner, I could barely read your side of the conversation and understand it. Such as:

Customer: nothing doing. you sent me a defective product!

What the heck is "nothing doing". Its hard to prove a point when the point you are trying to make is difficult to understand in the first place.

Just an opinion. Besides that, I have ZAGG products on all my phones including 5 BlackBerry's, I love it - and recommend it to everyone who asks me about screen protectors for any device.
    A number of you seem to be distracted by the side-show here. Whether the customer or the support representative acted properly or were out of line is not the issue.
    The facts as I read them are:
    1) The product is priced at 10 times the cost of an equivalent product (which seems to have fewer online complaints about it)
    2) The free replacement is not free in that the shipping cost is tripled from Zagg's own original shipping fee for the same product. (The new shipping fee is double the cost of the equivalent product referred to in garpt's post #10 above.)
    3)At least in this instance, the product failed to perform as advertised (last on list because I have not taken the time to see how widespread the issue is.
    12-09-10 09:13 AM
    well, since everyone seems to be beating a dead horse. I figure i should put my two cents in here. I have used the Zagg products and contemplated using the other options. I continue to use Zagg for the simple fact that they stand by thier product. Regardless of whether or not you have to pay return shipping for the replacement or not; you are still getting the replacement for free. If you order products from a large majority of online retailers you have to pay return shipping.

IF you want to use the Zagg products then use them; IF you don't then don't, that is the beauty of Free commerce. The consumer gets to choose what they want.
    12-09-10 04:20 PM
    well, since everyone seems to be beating a dead horse. I figure i should put my two cents in here. I have used the Zagg products and contemplated using the other options. I continue to use Zagg for the simple fact that they stand by thier product. Regardless of whether or not you have to pay return shipping for the replacement or not; you are still getting the replacement for free. If you order products from a large majority of online retailers you have to pay return shipping.

IF you want to use the Zagg products then use them; IF you don't then don't, that is the beauty of Free commerce. The consumer gets to choose what they want.

I agree with your last point. That is why I posted the original piece. Let consumers choose with their eyes open. In my opinion the product is ok at best and very overpriced. I also believe that calling something "free" and inflating the shipping price is deceitful. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to purchase from them. It is those who agree with me but who were unaware of this information whom I intended to benefit.

12-09-10 10:20 PM
    And I completely agree with that opinion, I was not intending to flame you or anyone else saying what i said. I personally have seen the other screen protectors and i do not think that they are as protective as the ZAGG is IMHO. That was all.
    12-10-10 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD