I dont know why people do this .. but i find it some what annoying

when you put the bb into the OEM holster ..

the screen is suppose to face in NOT OUT

the picture on the crackberry.com homepage linking to accessories for the torch... is very annoying

end of rant
    09-08-10 10:32 AM
    Face in.. meaning the screen is facing your thigh right if you have it in the belt holster?
    that's how I do it.. the Better protection angle for the screen..
    and when i take it out.. i don't have to twist my hand to look at the screen..
    regarding the photo you were referring.. maybe it was the photographer who called the shot.. and not the BB owner.. who ever he is
    09-08-10 10:47 AM

the picture on the crackberry.com homepage linking to accessories for the torch... is very annoying

end of rant
    Do you have documentation that it is "supposed" to be that way? I do screen in as well, but I am not going to chastise someone for not conforming to my holster etiquette.
    09-08-10 11:01 AM

end of rant
    Sorry, I've always put it facing out, and the magnets in the holster function just fine, thanks. I also place toilet paper rolls so they dispense over the roll, and I use my turn signal for all lane changes and turns.
    09-08-10 11:05 AM
    I also place toilet paper rolls so they dispense over the roll
    See now that just p!sses me off!

09-08-10 11:18 AM
    Sorry, I've always put it facing out, and the magnets in the holster function just fine, thanks. I also place toilet paper rolls so they dispense over the roll, and I use my turn signal for all lane changes and turns.
    Mine is face in.

TP post just padding his posting count again.
    09-08-10 11:34 AM
    Face out for me too. Don't know why I just do. Toilet paper under is aggravating and my OCD kicks in and I have to fix it. As for the turn signals I agree. People get the horn and the middle finger from me when they don't. Road rage? Maybe. Oh well.
    09-08-10 11:39 AM
    Mine is face in.

TP post just padding his posting count again.
    He's been here two years and has less than 200 posts! Let him pad. It's the guy who's been here less than two months and is closing in on 1000 posts who reeks of padding.
    09-08-10 11:43 AM
    I put mine facing in, but I'm sure the holsters are "ambidextrous". If you look at the ones they had for trackball devices, they had groves in the holster for the trackballs on both sides.
    09-08-10 12:02 PM

As far as my blackberry, I have always had the screen face out. Didn't know I was doing it wrong.
    09-08-10 12:10 PM

As far as my blackberry, I have always had the screen face out. Didn't know I was doing it wrong.
    There is no wrong way. It is a matter of personal preference. Facing in mitigates any damage to the touchscreen.
    09-08-10 12:26 PM
    There is no wrong way. It is a matter of personal preference. Facing in mitigates any damage to the touchscreen.
    LOL. I watched a report where they said TP facing under saves money cause tests show you use less squares! TP "over" all the way!!! Screw saving money! ROFL!
    09-08-10 12:53 PM
    as far as the TP is concerned, if you pull down, it's still going over. I think it's also a matter of in vs out, LOL.

BTW, screen in, since on my 9000 the screen was "flimsy". Any pressure and the colors would bleed.
    09-08-10 01:11 PM

this pic says it all!

I put mine facing in, but I'm sure the holsters are "ambidextrous". If you look at the ones they had for trackball devices, they had groves in the holster for the trackballs on both sides.
    exactly .. the groves inside the holster meant for the phone to be places facing inwards

Face in.. meaning the screen is facing your thigh right if you have it in the belt holster?
    that's how I do it.. the Better protection angle for the screen..
    and when i take it out.. i don't have to twist my hand to look at the screen..
    regarding the photo you were referring.. maybe it was the photographer who called the shot.. and not the BB owner.. who ever he is
    another reason to face it inwards ... to protect the screen ... and when you pull it out .. its facing you ...
    09-08-10 01:30 PM
    I wear mine in a belt holster. Face out. When I draw it from the holster, I'm grasping the top of my BB. As I pull my hand around, the BB naturally flips down into my hand face-up. If I face it in, when it flips it will be face-down. If I grip it and prevent it from flipping, it'll be upside-down. And the holster flap covers the screen without touching it, so no grit will be dragged over the screen sliding in and out of the holster.

All my holsters have trackball grooves on both sides, too.

If I had the old-school clip holster (mine is a vertical pouch), I'd definitely face it in for protection.
    09-08-10 01:46 PM
    I wear mine in a belt holster. Face out. When I draw it from the holster, I'm grasping the top of my BB. As I pull my hand around, the BB naturally flips down into my hand face-up. If I face it in, when it flips it will be face-down. If I grip it and prevent it from flipping, it'll be upside-down. And the holster flap covers the screen without touching it, so no grit will be dragged over the screen sliding in and out of the holster.

All my holsters have trackball grooves on both sides, too.

If I had the old-school clip holster (mine is a vertical pouch), I'd definitely face it in for protection.
    Wouldn't that risk dropping it? Not that it is that important, merely personal preference, but facing in with top end up would bring the phone directly in the position to talk saving one motion.
    09-08-10 02:09 PM
    Doesn't the sound come from the back of the device, or is it the sides? If the phone sits in the holster "screen in", then wouldn't you hear ring tones a little better?
    09-08-10 02:14 PM
    the sound on the torch comes from the top rear ... facing the screen in ... the phone is in the perfect position to pull out of holster and straight to the ear
    09-08-10 02:25 PM
    the sound on the torch comes from the top rear ... facing the screen in ... the phone is in the perfect position to pull out of holster and straight to the ear
    Well, there ya go!
    09-08-10 02:42 PM
    With my Bold 9000, it was face in, right side up. Currently, with my Torch, in the Bold 9000 OEM holster, it's face out, upside down, with the cleaning cloth at the bottom of the case.

It's upside down in order for the magnet to work and it's face out because the flap on the holster fits better over the beveled bottom front edge of the Torch than it does if the face were turned in. If I wasn't storing the cleaning cloth at the bottom of the case, it wouldn't matter whether it was facing in or out, it would fit the case fine.

Another advantage of storing it upside down is that I now have access to the USB port while it's still in the case. So, I can charge the Torch without taking it out of the holster.

Once the Torch pocket case becomes available, it will be stored rightside up, facing inward.
    09-08-10 02:58 PM
    Wouldn't that risk dropping it? Not that it is that important, merely personal preference, but facing in with top end up would bring the phone directly in the position to talk saving one motion.
    No, it doesn't. I wear my holster fairly far back on my hip so as to avoid squashing it against chair arms. When I reach back for it, my thumb and forefinger are downward. It would be awkward and uncomfortable to turn my hand over right-side up. Keeping it face-out also means that when I draw it from the holster, the flap doesn't drag across the screen.

I dunno. I apparently draw my BlackBerry from its holster like a pistol. Stand normally, then reach for your hip as if there were a gun holstered there. That's what feels natural for me.
    09-13-10 11:31 AM
    Mine is screen in.

How do you set up "lock device while holstering? Reason I ask is mine shut off the screen as it goes in, then lights up. I do the top lock before going now.

Anyone knows?

On the 9700 I know how to do it, but the 9800 settings are displayed differently.

Bold007
    09-13-10 02:57 PM
    He is right about facing in. Go back and look at your older cases from the crack ball error. They all had a little grove in the case that went all the way down (yes some had spaces on both sides but the only complete groove is on the hip side) so the trackball would not rub. Go look if you don't believe me. Make sure the holster is OEM or aftermarket from Blackberry/RIM.
    09-13-10 03:24 PM

where is that rule written?
    09-13-10 03:30 PM
    A sales rep at a local cell phone shop told me that when the screen is facing out, away from your body, the magnets in the case ( OEM RIM cases) will damage the screen and eventually destroy it. Is this true? I own a Torch.
    Last edited by rays001; 10-20-10 at 12:50 PM.
    10-20-10 12:32 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD