I found an excellent accessory to my blackberry for travelling called LIBERTY by Bayalink. Essentially it is a bluetooth link that (via secure connection) connects my Blackberry to my laptop allowing me to use my laptop to send and receive email. Why is this a big deal, especially since the 8830 world phone can be a modem? Because using emulation on the laptop with the LIBERTY program cuts down on data costs AND I dont have to use my SECURE ID corporate log in as all email is done through the blackberry as if I was typing directly on the unit. This allows me to use my laptop in coffee shops, airports, etc... without having to worry about hot spots or paying for WiFi connections. This gadget is totally awesome and worth the $99 charge. I highly recommend this for the traveller who doesnt want to keep getting dinged for WiFi access or have to pay $100 per month for an aircard in the PC. EXCELLENT PRODUCT!
    02-14-08 01:43 PM
    Just checked out their website and viewed the demo (no biggie). Really like this little product and seriously considering it.
    02-14-08 02:12 PM
    This gadget is totally awesome and worth the $99 charge. EXCELLENT PRODUCT!
    Actually, the Bayalink Liberty key costs $100 A YEAR, which is really rather expensive.

This article has a bunch of information on the product. It looks cool, but the price really seems steep. Especially since all it really covers is software updates, and how many of those could there possibly be each year?

AZA
    02-29-08 09:44 AM
    If this Bayalink thing does what I think it does, then I am in seventh heaven!! One of the best mobile phone apps of all time in my opinion was Remote p900 that created an emulation of the Sony Ericsson P900 series phones on the PC. I loved it. It is the only thing that I miss about the old SE P series phones that I was at one time addicted to. Now of course I am a dedicated Crackhead, but have been craving something to control the device itself from the PC. I have to have one. Thanks to everyone here for making me aware of this. I have been google searching for ever looking for something like this. Will get back to you all once I have tried it. These things have a tendency to disappoint in the flesh so I will try and keep calm until I have actually used it. Hugely excited Crackberry fiend.
    03-01-08 06:04 AM
    As I suspected the Bayalink is not the Nirvana I was hoping for. What I hoped it would be, was a true virtualisation of the Blackberry device. Simply control everything that you can do on the unit itself, but from a PC excatly like the Remote P900 software. In fact Bayalink look as if they have missed the trick, and have only virtualised certain functions on the device. A great shame. Never mind. I am still going to get one anyway. Note to Bayalink: Just virtualise the device. Dont worry about cleverly representing Blackberry APPS in large screen format. Nice feature, but not essential. What is critical is being able to do everything on the Blackberry as if you were driving it manually. SMS, Contacts, Settings, the whole lot. Life is a series of crushing disappointments and I will just have to add this one to the list.
    03-01-08 06:29 AM
    Aside from the OP has anyone else tried this yet?

It looks tempting but I'm thinking the annual $100 subscription fee might pale in comparison to the data charges from Rogers if it was used for any amount of web browsing.
    05-21-08 08:04 PM
    I just saw this in use at a trade show this weekend. It works. You can email and browse simple.

In regards to the price? For me, it's the deal of the century. My other option is to add the AT&T tethering plan for $50/month. Hmmm, let me think.

Also, since it does the browsing, if you use Outlook/Exchange over http, you could use that the rep in the Bayalink booth confirmed. Cool....
    11-12-08 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD