I've run into this issue on the 9800 and just now realized that my Storm 1 is doing the same:

I import images via Desktop Manager (6) onto my phone. When viewing the images they look "optimized" and fuzzy. When setting as a wallpaper they seem even worse.

I went back and looked at the Picture settings and realized that Optimize images was selected. I unchecked it and tried again. Same result, bad quality images on device. The images are perfect quality on the computer. Furthermore, the preset wallpapers that come with the 9800 and 9500 are PERFECT quality.

Any thoughts?
    08-05-10 02:25 PM
    I never used DM to transfer pics -- I always just drag and drop em directly into the memory card...and I've never had any issues.

As far as the wallpaper issue, I find that I get the best results by making sure that I'm viewing the picture full size while selecting "set as wallpaper", as opposed to just having the thumbnail highlighted.
    08-05-10 02:30 PM
    On the device, select a picture and hit Menu >View Actual Size. Now look closely and see if the picture 'cleans up'
    08-05-10 02:40 PM
    Hmm, no good. I tried your memory card method and the same thing happened.

@SevereDeceit The images are viewed full size, the images are exactly 360x480
    08-05-10 02:52 PM
    Hmm, no good. I tried your memory card method and the same thing happened.

@SevereDeceit The images are viewed full size, the images are exactly 360x480
    Doesn't matter. When viewing an image, it first goes into "preview mode" (loads about 75% of color data, making the image look blocky). Doing "View Actual Size" forces the OS to completely render the image, even if it is the same size.... Try it out.
    08-05-10 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD