I have a Pearl 8130 from Verizon. I understand how to assign a ringtone to a specific contact. I wanted to know if there was a way to a assign a ringtone to a group of contacts. For example I want to assign the same ringtone to 5 people in my contacts that are filed in my outlokk under the category "work". Any help would be appreciated.
    01-01-08 06:16 AM
    I haven't seen this as a possible feature for Blackberries yet. Maybe a 3rd party software could help you.
    01-01-08 08:57 AM
    Along the lines of assigning ringtones. I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded a ringtone from CB.com and have it assigned to my wife's phone. The issue is it doesn't use that tone when she calls me. So I thought, "hmmm, maybe it's the ringtone?". So I associated one of the stock ringers that comes pre-loaded. She called and again wrong ringtone plays. I do have both the home and her cell listed on her address book page. Maybe that's the problem?
    01-09-08 10:53 AM
    D'oh!! It was exactly what I thought. Since my home number is listed first on my wife's address book page, it assigns the ringtone to the first number. Now, is there anyway to assign specific ringtones to multiple numbers on a single address book entry?
    01-09-08 11:10 AM
    I'm still having issues with this. I have posed this question several times and still no answer. (at least one that solves the problem) I'm referring to the assigning specific ringtones to certain individuals in my address book.

I have ensured that the specific individual ringtones are checked as an exception under the profile section, but still nothing. Any advice would be helpful, but I'm wondering if my phone is phanxed up.....
    Last edited by dougefresh; 02-10-08 at 07:00 PM.
    02-10-08 06:57 PM
    What OS version are you using? I have assigned a custom ringtone to my wife's contact and the only time I have had trouble is with the home number, because some times it is detected as myself or my kids. Typically if she calls me from her mobile or home it works fine, this was on an 8800 and my new 8320.
    02-10-08 07:54 PM
    I'm using the factory installed software. I'm with AT&T....and I noticed last night when she called me from work that it played the "specific" ringtone that I had installed for her. So I put a new contact in just for her and her cell phone but still nothing. Should I download opera and try using that as a platform? BTW thanks for the reply.
    02-11-08 03:18 PM
    Opera is a web browser, it would have no effect on your ringtones.
    02-20-08 11:35 PM
    Bump. Looking for a solution to this as well. I saw the option to assign a specific ringtone per contact. I would rather not go through my entire phone book to do that though. Anyone else figure this out?
    05-10-08 12:21 AM
    Go to address book, click on particular name, go to edit, then from that drop down menu you should see add custom ring tone.
    05-11-08 01:01 AM
    Well, maybe I am reading this all wrong but to assign a certain ringtone to an individual, I simply open Profiles/Advance... and then create a New Exception. Name it anything you like, then choose Add from the Menu and navigate thru your addy book for the name, then choose the ringtone you want for that name. You can uncheck the Exception anytime in the Profile and it will use the default ringer the phone is set too.
    06-08-08 09:13 AM
    Well, maybe I am reading this all wrong but to assign a certain ringtone to an individual, I simply open Profiles/Advance... and then create a New Exception. Name it anything you like, then choose Add from the Menu and navigate thru your addy book for the name, then choose the ringtone you want for that name. You can uncheck the Exception anytime in the Profile and it will use the default ringer the phone is set too.
    Thanks, Emtronics! This works better than assigning ringtones to contacts, because I want to assign a ringtone to a group of contacts (e.g. my fellow employees). Unfortunately, the exception list isn't long enough. I was only 1/4 of the way through the alphabet when it stopped accepting additional entries.

What ways does anyone know to get around this limitation?
    09-29-08 09:41 AM
    hey
    I understand that blackberry doesnt offer the option of assigning ringtones to groups. can someone let me know of a third party software that can help me out? Honestly, its weird cos some of the cheapest phones lets you assign group ringtones, I cant set individual ringtones for groups of over 100 people, its crazy~! Thanks for all responses
    10-18-08 09:37 AM
    /bump

Just wanted to see if anyone has a good 3rd party fix for assigning ringtones to a category. I have a gropu of 57 people I need with a ringtone, and I dont want to have to go and assign them all indivitually.

Thanks
    02-08-09 10:02 PM
    Bumping again ...

Still hoping there is an answer to assigning ringtones to groups. Anyone?
    06-14-09 10:43 AM
    I too am looking for a solution. Although I don't have 57 people in a group so I can't complain too much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 08:23 AM
    Bump... so does anyone have a recommendation for a good ringtone manager app?
    07-16-09 08:36 PM
    Bump I could assign a ringtone to groups on my dumbphones weird that BB can't do it.

01-11-10 07:34 PM
    never use it b4, but i think can assign a tone for a group of people.

Ringo - Custom MP3 Ringtones Email and Text Tones
    01-13-10 08:41 AM
    Check out Youmail. It's a free service that let's you assign a ringtone to groups, have a different greeting for individuales and/or groups. They also offer additional features & storage for a fee if you're a power user.

01-13-10 04:38 PM
    Bump I could assign a ringtone to groups on my dumbphones weird that BB can't do it.

No kidding. Seems pretty dumb for a "smart" phone.

Is there really no way on the phone to do group ring tones yet, without an app?
    01-20-10 03:25 PM
    I know this is an old thread but I have been trying to figure this out too.

I have a Storm2 9550 and I wanted to assign a ringtone to a group of contacts

In profiles (scroll to bottom) Set Contact Alerts.

I created a group and then added all the contacts I wanted in that group.
    Then I selected the ringtone for phone and messages.

I have tested this with three different contacts using email and phone.

HTH.
    04-05-10 07:05 PM
    Jedi,
    I can't find where to set "contact alerts"
    I have an 8320 and I cant find that option.
    Thank you.
    11-20-10 10:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD